Class 3A- Week 10

SPCjessica2004

Small shake-up in the Class 3A Rankings this week:

1) Chaminade-Madonna:  The media and fans in South Florida tried to paint me a picture that the 6-1 Doral Academy Firebirds were a good football team that could compete with Chaminade. I've no doubt the Firebirds should be proud of their season and maybe if this was the Chaminade that showed up against Miami Central the would have stood a better chance. Instead, Doral Academy was obliterated by a fast strike Lions offense and a defense that refused to give ground.

2) Oxbridge Academy:  Oxbridge hit the road and played a competitive game against a surprisingly solid, but young, Ft. Myers team. Oxbridge was probably playing a trap game, but the Green Wave played well- still, the Thunderwolves played the worst game of their year and still didn't surrender a point. When talking about the top defenses in Florida, Oxbridge has to be at the top of the list.

3) Clearwater Central Catholic- CCC knocked off Admiral Farragut 42-6. The game wasn't competitive after the first 4 minutes with CCC up 14-0. CCC's dominating underclassmen performed well in limited action. CCC is in prime position to win their region outright. If CCC wins the regional championship and in the process goes undefeated, that has to be one of the biggest story-lines of 3A this year for a team that graduated 9 division 1 athletes, lost their top 4 returning underclassmen to rival schools and had major assistant coaching upheavals.

4) King's Academy- The Lions can be denied no more! After knocking off previously undefeated Key West. King's Academy is rolling and enter a very interesting game on Thursday against arch-rival Benjamin School.  So, how far can King's go? It depends on how soon they run into Oxbridge. Right now, Orlando First Academy in the 1 seed in the region with King's being 2, Oxbridge is #3 and Taylor is #4. I think King's has a chance to upset Orlando First Academy, not so much Oxbridge.

5) Melbourne Central Catholic-  Perhaps no team in 3A has been more discussed over the past week than MCC when the realization hit that this highly talented Hustler team may miss the playoffs due scheduling tough out of state opponents. The Hustlers, even if they win out, do not control their playoff destiny at this point; still, this is a team that should win big in their last 2 games against Atlantic (Port Orange) and a under preforming FPC team.

Others on my list: Orlando First Academy, Lakeland Christian, Tampa Catholic, Taylor, Ft. White, Calvary Christian (Clearwater)

GAMES I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO

Orlando Lake Highland Prep vs Orlando First Academy

Lake Highland Prep dismantled a previously undefeated Lakeland Christian team 30-3 last week. This week? Another 3A powerhouse that is also undefeated, Orlando First Academy.  First Academy currently has the most points in 3A and is the top seed in the north as a result; however, many have questions their schedule outside of a 2 point win vs Calvary Christian (Clearwater).  Lake Highland Prep is a much improved team this year than the past few seasons- a win here would be a signature win for First Academy.

Taylor (Pierson) vs Crescent City

I've been trying to microanalysize this game, but the truth is- I'm no closer to knowing much about either of these teams. This game will have a significant and direct impact on MCC's playoff chances. I'm not going to hash out the numbers, but if Taylor wins- they're pretty much in. If Crescent City wins, MCC is likely but not 100% fore sure in.  The game is listed as Taylor's Senior night. If anybody wants to throw some information out about either team, please do.

Lakeland Christian vs Avon Park

LCS lost for the first time last week against LHP (as noted above). Since LCS doesn't have a very compelling SoS, it dropped them a bit more than other teams that suffer their first loss. The Vikings can pick up a huge boost to their point total against a currently undefeated Avon Park team. Avon Park's SoS hasn't exactly been frightening and with the game in Lakeland should be okay in this one. Due to the competitive nature of Class 3A-Region 3 and in particular Tampa Catholic's quick rise to become an offensive powerhouse, a loss to Avon Park would drop LCS, potentially down to the 4 spot.

Tampa Catholic vs Belleview

Tampa Catholic plays a televised marquee game on 11/3 against arch-rival Tampa Jesuit and this week could have been another marquee game, but with the Rattlers losing to a previously winless North Marion team it's hard to imagine the highly athletic Crusaders losing at home. TC has been very efficient outscoring teams 170-10 in the past 3 weeks. From a pure athletic and talent stand point, Tampa Catholic is 2nd only to Chaminade this year. Belleview has had a successful season this year up until last week and should still provide a challenge for the Crusaders who have bullied some building and rebuilding teams in the past 3 weeks.

I'm also interested in the results of Kings vs Benjamin.
I'd like to see how badly Chaminade pounds Flanagan to see if they reach 69-0 which Oxbridge put on Flanagan.
Berkeley Prep vs Sickles could be a good game as well.

39 minutes ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

Small shake-up in the Class 3A Rankings this week:

1) Chaminade-Madonna:  The media and fans in South Florida tried to paint me a picture that the 6-1 Doral Academy Firebirds were a good football team that could compete with Chaminade. I've no doubt the Firebirds should be proud of their season and maybe if this was the Chaminade that showed up against Miami Central the would have stood a better chance. Instead, Doral Academy was obliterated by a fast strike Lions offense and a defense that refused to give ground.

2) Oxbridge Academy:  Oxbridge hit the road and played a competitive game against a surprisingly solid, but young, Ft. Myers team. Oxbridge was probably playing a trap game, but the Green Wave played well- still, the Thunderwolves played the worst game of their year and still didn't surrender a point. When talking about the top defenses in Florida, Oxbridge has to be at the top of the list.

3) Clearwater Central Catholic- CCC knocked off Admiral Farragut 42-6. The game wasn't competitive after the first 4 minutes with CCC up 14-0. CCC's dominating underclassmen performed well in limited action. CCC is in prime position to win their region outright. If CCC wins the regional championship and in the process goes undefeated, that has to be one of the biggest story-lines of 3A this year for a team that graduated 9 division 1 athletes, lost their top 4 returning underclassmen to rival schools and had major assistant coaching upheavals.

4) King's Academy- The Lions can be denied no more! After knocking off previously undefeated Key West. King's Academy is rolling and enter a very interesting game on Thursday against arch-rival Benjamin School.  So, how far can King's go? It depends on how soon they run into Oxbridge. Right now, Orlando First Academy in the 1 seed in the region with King's being 2, Oxbridge is #3 and Taylor is #4. I think King's has a chance to upset Orlando First Academy, not so much Oxbridge.

5) Melbourne Central Catholic-  Perhaps no team in 3A has been more discussed over the past week than MCC when the realization hit that this highly talented Hustler team may miss the playoffs due scheduling tough out of state opponents. The Hustlers, even if they win out, do not control their playoff destiny at this point; still, this is a team that should win big in their last 2 games against Atlantic (Port Orange) and a under preforming FPC team.

Others on my list: Orlando First Academy, Lakeland Christian, Tampa Catholic, Taylor, Ft. White, Calvary Christian (Clearwater)

GAMES I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO

Orlando Lake Highland Prep vs Orlando First Academy

Lake Highland Prep dismantled a previously undefeated Lakeland Christian team 30-3 last week. This week? Another 3A powerhouse that is also undefeated, Orlando First Academy.  First Academy currently has the most points in 3A and is the top seed in the north as a result; however, many have questions their schedule outside of a 2 point win vs Calvary Christian (Clearwater).  Lake Highland Prep is a much improved team this year than the past few seasons- a win here would be a signature win for First Academy.

Taylor (Pierson) vs Crescent City

I've been trying to microanalysize this game, but the truth is- I'm no closer to knowing much about either of these teams. This game will have a significant and direct impact on MCC's playoff chances. I'm not going to hash out the numbers, but if Taylor wins- they're pretty much in. If Crescent City wins, MCC is likely but not 100% fore sure in.  The game is listed as Taylor's Senior night. If anybody wants to throw some information out about either team, please do.

Lakeland Christian vs Avon Park

LCS lost for the first time last week against LHP (as noted above). Since LCS doesn't have a very compelling SoS, it dropped them a bit more than other teams that suffer their first loss. The Vikings can pick up a huge boost to their point total against a currently undefeated Avon Park team. Avon Park's SoS hasn't exactly been frightening and with the game in Lakeland should be okay in this one. Due to the competitive nature of Class 3A-Region 3 and in particular Tampa Catholic's quick rise to become an offensive powerhouse, a loss to Avon Park would drop LCS, potentially down to the 4 spot.

Tampa Catholic vs Belleview

Tampa Catholic plays a televised marquee game on 11/3 against arch-rival Tampa Jesuit and this week could have been another marquee game, but with the Rattlers losing to a previously winless North Marion team it's hard to imagine the highly athletic Crusaders losing at home. TC has been very efficient outscoring teams 170-10 in the past 3 weeks. From a pure athletic and talent stand point, Tampa Catholic is 2nd only to Chaminade this year. Belleview has had a successful season this year up until last week and should still provide a challenge for the Crusaders who have bullied some building and rebuilding teams in the past 3 weeks.

I'm also interested in the results of Kings vs Benjamin.
I'd like to see how badly Chaminade pounds Flanagan to see if they reach 69-0 which Oxbridge put on Flanagan.
Berkeley Prep vs Sickles could be a good game as well.

You may think about submitting your write ups to your local mullet wrapper. I know Florida Today is struggling for sports copy and you do well in your write ups. Well enough in fact, that you write as well or better than some of the journalist I've worked with.

Not trying to make you feel good... just puttin it out there. I'm sure the board will back me up.

Nice breakdown on King's as that programs grows.  Do know that 7-0 King's play @ 6-1 Benjamin next,  but since King's has a bye this week,   they'll meet up on 11/3 - in their mutual Rivalry game.  What's interesting is that Benjamin, another growing program,  hits the road and plays @ 5-1 Key West this Thursday.

So going into the  King's @ Benjamin game,  both teams will have played 5 common opponents 

So far, King's and Benjamin both defeated Pine Crest,  Westminster Academy, and Calvary Christian.

Both played away at North Broward Prep,  with King's winning big,  Benjamin losing 31-28.

King's won at home vs KW,   with Benjamin getting a tougher chore away at KW - and that result should provide a decent comparison before they meet.

Both teams have racked up big scoring numbers on O,  King's avg about 45 pts/game thru a balanced ground/air attack, and Benj around 40 pts/game ... a bit more earned from the pass,  so I believe the D and special teams/kicking game should be the truthteller.   Think they're teams on the edge in their class this year, apparently serious about program development, so it'll be nice to see how they improve and beef up 3A in the future .... given the possibility that Oxbridge may slip due to emphasis on academics over athletics, CM dominating, AHD seemingly rebuilding, and the jury out on the remaining S FL 3A's.

Last year, a 7-3 Benjamin lost @ an 11-0 King's ... 37-6.      

2 hours ago, mbhs69 said:

Nice breakdown on King's as that programs grows.  Do know that 7-0 King's play @ 6-1 Benjamin next,  but since King's has a bye this week,   they'll meet up on 11/3 - in their mutual Rivalry game.  What's interesting is that Benjamin, another growing program,  hits the road and plays @ 5-1 Key West this Thursday.

So going into the  King's @ Benjamin game,  both teams will have played 5 common opponents 

So far, King's and Benjamin both defeated Pine Crest,  Westminster Academy, and Calvary Christian.

Both played away at North Broward Prep,  with King's winning big,  Benjamin losing 31-28.

King's won at home vs KW,   with Benjamin getting a tougher chore away at KW - and that result should provide a decent comparison before they meet.

Both teams have racked up big scoring numbers on O,  King's avg about 45 pts/game thru a balanced ground/air attack, and Benj around 40 pts/game ... a bit more earned from the pass,  so I believe the D and special teams/kicking game should be the truthteller.   Think they're teams on the edge in their class this year, apparently serious about program development, so it'll be nice to see how they improve and beef up 3A in the future .... given the possibility that Oxbridge may slip due to emphasis on academics over athletics, CM dominating, AHD seemingly rebuilding, and the jury out on the remaining S FL 3A's.

Last year, a 7-3 Benjamin lost @ an 11-0 King's ... 37-6.      

mbhs69, 

Good point on AHD- it looks like they are going to miss the playoffs this year- another casualty of the playoff system. Due in part to how talented Chaminade is, I never really considered AHD a threat for 2017 and looked at them more as a 2018 team. Chaminade will still have 2x top 300 players, return 4 outta 5 on the O-line and bring back a stud DE along with the Mayo kid at WR and the QB, that's a lot of financial aid money and I'm curious if the chit's they had to call in prior to this season will catch-up with them in the off-season. 

I'm told that Oxbridge will slip in 2018, but it's the 2019 class that you'll see the ramifications of de-emphasizin athletes. I think the 1/2 bunch of Meeks/Richardson gets them through 2018 with enough wins for a playoff run. I think you'll see MCC schedule smarter and get enough guys in to make that an interesting game.

I digress though, that's looking to far into the future.  King's vs Benjamin will be a very interesting game.

King's vs Benjamin
Tampa Catholic vs Jesuit
MCC vs Fort Pierce Central
Chaminade vs Uschool
Berkeley Prep vs Lake Highland
Ocala Trinity vs Jordan Christian
Calvary (Clearwater) vs Indian Rocks

Week 11 is going to be very, very interesting in 3A as teams make a final push!