8A Palm Beach County sweeps Broward

Original1

Wacky Class 8A: Nothing is going according to plan in this corner of Class 8A. In addition to Park Vista upsetting Miramar, Davie-Western took down Class 8A No. 1 Deerfield Beach 20-17. This could prove huge for Palm Beach County teams, as the baddest 8A teams on the block are both eliminated. Now it’s assured that a local team will make it to the regional finals. Atlantic and Park Vista will duke it out next week on their side of the bracket, while Palm Beach Central will play Western. While I am sure Western won’t be an easy team to beat, I imagine the Broncos are happy they don’t have to face an extremely talented Deerfield Beach team.

17 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Shocking upset and great win by Park Vista. The last time they made noise in 8A was losing to Boone in the third round in 2007, I believe. 

Surprised but not overly surprised on this Park Vista upset.  I had a gut feeling that Miramar may have their guard down a little , factored with Park Vista has got better as the season has gone on and are peaking coming into the playoffs, torrential downpours which usually favors the underdog or hungrier dog in the fight.   Park Vista just sneaked in the Playoffs in the last week and I am very happy that they have seized the opportunity.

I was at the Western at Deerfield game and same deal with the rain.  I watched Western almost look like they were welcoming and feeding off the rain going into halftime.  Both teams had turnovers DFB had a couple more but Western was putting some hits on DFB.... Western matched DFB physicality throughout the game, and I don't know if DFB expected them to lay down while down 3 pts at halftime in a heavy SFL downpour but Western was the deserving and better team that night.

The outcome of the seeds, results  and parity of 8 very good football teams or 8A Region 3 are probably the best example of the new playoff system working.  In the old system the second seed Douglas would have been playing @ Miramar and they had no business in the post-season this year.  Fortunately the new system got the right team there in Park Vista.

4 hours ago, Original1 said:

Hey Broward....how did Western move the ball on DFB? Passing or running?

Mostly on the ground.  I would say they rushed 200+ yards on DFB and probably only threw the ball less then 15 times.  Don't be fooled by that though , Western has a very good QB and periodic downpours and winds throughout the game forced both teams to pretty much stick to the run or mostly screen passes.  Western is a very balanced well coached team that has improved as the season has gone on and will likely be a tough out for PB Central at Home.  I think the game is probably a toss up....