Quiz-Florida's Best OL & DL Ever?

OldSchoolLion

Who are we?  In the past 40 years, only 1 OL and 1 DL who played hs football in Florida (to my knowledge) has ever accomplished the following:

High school all-american

Consensus NCAA all-american

Drafted amongst the first 20 players of the first round in the NFL draft

Multiple times NFL All-Pro selection

Multiple times NFL Pro Bowl selection

I realize there is no "right" answer to this question.  Based on the above, there is a good argument that these were the best OL and DL the state has ever produced.  Interestingly, neither played for a hs powerhouse program.  In fact, the OL's team never made it to the playoffs and the DL's team made it once, but did not advance past the second round.  Both graduated hs prior to 2000 and played for top-ranked college teams of their day.  

FL does not get much love for our lineman, so this quiz is to make sure everyone learns the name of these two great linemen.

23 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Shot in the dark, but Vince Wilfork (Santaluces High School)? 

(2nd team HS All American, 1st team All Big East, multiple pro-bowls, multiple All-Pros, drafted 21st).

Good guess!  Wilfork would make the top 10 Florida DL list of many, but he is not the one. 

17 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

or Jevon Kearse (Fort Myers? UF) again, just my two guesses. 

OL Lomas Brown?

..not Kearse

Lomas Brown of Miami Springs/Univ of FL....maybe a toss-up with the guy I had in mind.  To my knowledge, Lomas was not an All-American in hs.  He met all of the other criteria, though.  The other fellow is a neck ahead concerning overall accomplishments.  So, keep guessing! 

1 hour ago, Bocefous70 said:

Steve Hutchinson 

Warren Sapp

The top offensive lineman from Florida(arguably) is Steve Hutchinson He was a three-sport athlete for the Coral Springs Colts, lettering in football, basketball and baseball.  He finished high school with a 3.7 GPA.  Hutchinson earned All-State honors as an offensive guard in 1994 and 1995. In 1995, he was named a high school All-American and one of the top three high school linemen in the country by Super Prep Magazine.

Following high school, Hutchinson played for the University of Michigan.  He started as a redshirt freshman in 1997 and helped lead the Wolverines to the national championship. The two-year team captain finished his collegiate career as a two-time All-American and Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year.  He became just the second player in school history to earn four All-Big Ten selections. In 2000, he was a consensus All-American, won the Jim Parker Award for the country's top offensive lineman, and was an Outland Trophy finalist.

After a stellar collegiate career, the Senior Bowl Hall of Fame member was taken 17th overall by the Seattle Seahawks in the 2001 NFL Draft. He went on to play in seven Pro Bowls and five times was voted a first-team All-Pro. The 6-foot-5, 313-pounder played 12 years in the league, including stops with the Seahawks (2001-05), in Minnesota (2006-10) and Tennessee (2012). During his tenure at the highest level of football, the NFL Players Association representative was considered the pre-eminent offensive lineman in the NFL.

Great job Bocefous!

1 hour ago, Bocefous70 said:

Steve Hutchinson 

Warren Sapp

I understand why you picked Warren Sapp for DL.  I was considering guys who actually played DL while in high school.  At Apopka, Sapp was a LB, TE and kicker, and was recruited by the Canes as a TE.  Ultimately, he converted to a defensive lineman.  Amongst Florida guys who played DL in college and beyond, one could certainly make a case for Sapp being the best.  All that said, great answer.

So, am looking for the best defensive lineman who played that position in high school, college and the NFL.  Who is it?

32 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I understand why you picked Warren Sapp for DL.  I was considering guys who actually played DL while in high school.  At Apopka, Sapp was a LB, TE and kicker, and was recruited by the Canes as a TE.  Ultimately, he converted to a defensive lineman.  Amongst Florida guys who played DL in college and beyond, one could certainly make a case for Sapp being the best.  All that said, great answer.

So, am looking for the best defensive lineman who played that position in high school, college and the NFL.  Who is it?

Jack Youngblood?

6 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Who are we?  In the past 40 years, only 1 OL and 1 DL who played hs football in Florida (to my knowledge) has ever accomplished the following:

High school all-american

I realize there is no "right" answer to this question.  Based on the above, there is a good argument that these were the best OL and DL the state has ever produced.  Interestingly, neither played for a hs powerhouse program.  In fact, the OL's team never made it to the playoffs and the DL's team made it once, but did not advance past the second round.  Both graduated hs prior to 2000 and played for top-ranked college teams of their day.  

FL does not get much love for our lineman, so this quiz is to make sure everyone learns the name of these two great linemen.

Jerome brown? 

Just now, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Jerome brown? 

It is Jerome Brown, who was a 2-sport star at Brooksville Hernando High.  Jerome was a standout football player and earned Parade All-American honors.  He also excelled at baseball(like Warren Sapp at Apopka).  He led the 1982 Hernando baseball team (which was ranked #2 in the state) in steals...not bad for a guy who weighed 250 pounds at the time!

A dominant defensive lineman throughout his four years at the University of Miami, 1983 to 1986, Jerome Brown earned consensus All-American honors his senior season.  Brown was a finalist for both the 1986 Outland Trophy and the 1986 Lombardi Trophy.  Brown finished his UM career with 21 sacks, is still ranked in the Top Ten in school history.  Brown recorded four New Year's Day bowl starting assignments: '84 Orange Bowl Classic, '85 Fiesta Bowl, '86 Sugar Bowl, and the '87 Fiesta Bowl.

He went on to become a first round draft pick of the Philadelphia Eagles, ninth overall pick, in the 1987 NFL draft and was named All-Pro and Pro Bowl twice in his four year career.  Jerome's life was tragically cut short when he was killed in an automoblie accident in June of 1992 in his hometown. 

I give Jerome Brown the nod over Vince Wilfork based on the potential many felt he had to be a Hall of Famer.  Both had stellar high school and college careers.  Brown played 4 years in the NFL and Wilfork played 13.  Wilfork was first team All-Pro once and Brown was twice.  Who knows what Brown could have accomplished if he played longer. 

Good job, Columbia.  Some great picks by all, actually.  As I mentioned earlier, there is no "right" answer.  What is important is to recognize that Florida has produced some great lineman over the years.        

49 minutes ago, badbird said:

seems like multiple guys fit your list

Steve Hutchinson and Jerome Brown are the only guys I know of that played as lineman as their primary position in high school and met all of the following criteria.  Warren Sapp meets all of the criteria below, but did not convert to a lineman until college. 

Lomas Brown was an incredible OL, but have never found a record of him being a hs All-American.  Corey Simon was a great DL, but was never All-Pro and was a Pro Bowler just once.  Vince Wiflork was a great DL,  but was not a consensus NCAA All-American, was drafted 21st, and was All-Pro just once.  Joey Bosa is a great DL, but has not yet earned All-Pro honors, and has only been a Pro Bolwer once.

High school all-american

46 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Steve Hutchinson and Jerome Brown are the only guys I know of that played as lineman as their primary position in high school and met all of the following criteria.  Warren Sapp meets all of the criteria below, but did not convert to a lineman until college. 

Lomas Brown was an incredible OL, but have never found a record of him being a hs All-American.  Corey Simon was a great DL, but was never All-Pro and was a Pro Bowler just once.  Vince Wiflork was a great DL,  but was not a consensus NCAA All-American, was drafted 21st, and was All-Pro just once.  Joey Bosa is a great DL, but has not yet earned All-Pro honors, and has only been a Pro Bolwer once.

High school all-american

Would Jack Youngblood qualify. I think he fits everything not sure about high school all American though 

16 minutes ago, Bocefous70 said:

Would Jack Youngblood qualify. I think he fits everything not sure about high school all American though 

...my original question..."In the past 40 years, only 1 OL and 1 DL..."

I only went back that far because records start getting tough to come by before then. Youngblood played in the mid 60's and was not a Parade All-American.

30 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

...my original question..."In the past 40 years, only 1 OL and 1 DL..."

I only went back that far because records start getting tough to come by before then. Youngblood played in the mid 60's and was not a Parade All-American.

Ah, definitely ignored the time constraints.