Ncaa transfer rule

DisabledAccount

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/new-transfer-rule-eliminates-permission-contact-process#.WyFyUCxwUcE.facebook

Student athletes are 1 step closer to actually being treated like adults

Because guess what,  they are ADULTS not CHILDREN

adults are allowed to find a better offer and leave for better offers if the situation is right but most people want to protect the crooked NCAA attempts to exploit players when the NCAA does absolutely nothing for the sport

5 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/new-transfer-rule-eliminates-permission-contact-process#.WyFyUCxwUcE.facebook

Student athletes are 1 step closer to actually being treated like adults

Because guess what,  they are ADULTS not CHILDREN

adults are allowed to find a better offer and leave for better offers if the situation is right but most people want to protect the crooked NCAA attempts to exploit players when the NCAA does absolutely nothing for the sport

Snuck in towards the end (third paragraph from the end), is information that could negate the relaxed transfer rules. Overall, though, I am in support of these new rules, as they reflect, at least in the major sports, the true situation of athletes playing sports in college.

I myself have never supported restrictions on a person's ability to find another employer, except in certain critical situations (such as national security interest, etc.). These new rules, overall, provide the athlete with an ability to move on from situations not deemed in their best interest. 

1 hour ago, badbird said:

NCAA does absolutely nothing for the sport?  Hah that's laughable.  

I like the new rules.  I've never thought there should be restrictions on where a kid should go.  I do believe they should still have to sit a year if they transfer.  

The NCAA is supposed to be a enforcement agency to protect the integrity of the sport

Yet so many times they are more corrupt then the schools they supposed to enforce

1 hour ago, badbird said:

NCAA does absolutely nothing for the sport?  Hah that's laughable.  

I like the new rules.  I've never thought there should be restrictions on where a kid should go.  I do believe they should still have to sit a year if they transfer.  

If they transfer during the season then yes they should sit the current season out but I see no reason why they should sit out if they transfer during the off-season 

5 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Snuck in towards the end (third paragraph from the end), is information that could negate the relaxed transfer rules. Overall, though, I am in support of these new rules, as they reflect, at least in the major sports, the true situation of athletes playing sports in college.

I myself have never supported restrictions on a person's ability to find another employer, except in certain critical situations (such as national security interest, etc.). These new rules, overall, provide the athlete with an ability to move on from situations not deemed in their best interest. 

That's how it should be 

After all these athletes are adults and should be treated that way, if coaches can jump from team to team i have no issue with the players having the ability to do the same 

7 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

That's how it should be 

After all these athletes are adults and should be treated that way, if coaches can jump from team to team i have no issue with the players having the ability to do the same 

so then you should have no problem with IMG

45 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

What does that have anything to do with this topic? 

I don't have a issue with IMG because players transfer there

I have a issue with IMG because they receive state funding while publics are given nothing 

Actually, public school districts do receive some state funding based on population statistics. That does not negate the scandal of IMG receiving state funding. It should not, period!

7 minutes ago, badbird said:

Here is what I think it should be

1. no restriction on what school you transfer to

2. sit out a year unless you transfer down, hardship or the head coach leaves

That i can agree with 

If the coach leaves or is fired then i feel the players should have the ability to go elsewhere

8 hours ago, badbird said:

Here is what I think it should be

1. no restriction on what school you transfer to

2. sit out a year unless you transfer down, hardship or the head coach leaves

I would qualify what you suggest with the following: 1. If a kid wants to transfer because the staff that recruited him decides to leave on its own volition, then that kid should not have to sit out a year. The only restriction I would place on him is that he can't follow his old coaching staff. Likewise, if a staff decides to leave they should not be allowed to take their recruits with them. Now if the separation is not voluntary, I would allow players to follow their old staff to a new school. 

6 minutes ago, badbird said:

minor league in football would kill football for me assuming there was no more NCAA.  It would be like the D league in the NBA.  Anyone watch the D league?

I watch high school and college football.  I watch very little NFL. 

They wouldn't have to get rid of college football in order to form a minor league 

If you take players who are free agents, didn't make college offers (or chose the offers weren't good enough for them)  and a few players who want to bypass the college system you could have a minor league without directly effecting the college game 

After all isn't college football more about school tradition then the players??? 

3 minutes ago, badbird said:

don't we have minor league football?  It's called JUCO

Minor league for college

But there currently isn't minor league that I've heard of for pro football 

Baseball has 3 different development leagues

Hockey has a development league 

Basketball has a development league 

Why can't football have one as well, they would have plenty of players who are just sitting with no opportunities to play that would be happy to join

6 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

They wouldn't have to get rid of college football in order to form a minor league 

If you take players who are free agents, didn't make college offers (or chose the offers weren't good enough for them)  and a few players who want to bypass the college system you could have a minor league without directly effecting the college game 

After all isn't college football more about school tradition then the players??? 

If you had a viable minor league system, with wages for the players that would at least allow for subsistence, many players who want to play pro would opt for that. But that does not mean the end of college football, just a loss of a yet to be determined percentage of kids that would opt for the minor league system instead.

What would be better for a kid? It all depends on individual circumstances and talents. For a very talented kid who wanted to play pro football but had little interest in academic pursuits,  the answer would probably be the minor league as long as he felt there was a viable path from there to the pros. For another kid, who was unsure of whether he would make the pros, or who wanted to hedge his bets, then college would still be the preferred option. 

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

If you had a viable minor league system, with wages for the players that would at least allow for subsistence, many players who want to play pro would opt for that. But that does not mean the end of college football, just a loss of a yet to be determined percentage of kids that would opt for the minor league system instead.

What would be better for a kid? It all depends on individual circumstances and talents. For a very talented kid who wanted to play pro football but had little interest in academic pursuits,  the answer would probably be the minor league as long as he felt there was a viable path from there to the pros. For another kid, who was unsure of whether he would make the pros, or who wanted to hedge his bets, then college would still be the preferred option. 

There are tons of players who don't even get a chance to keep playing football so if colleges lose a few (or a lot)  there are still players they can fill those holes with 

End of day this does create more opportunities to keep playing