Multiple Choice Quiz-Team with the Most D1 Talent

OldSchoolLion

Who had the most D1 talent on their roster this past season?  OK, St Thomas Aquinas wins this one hands down.  But who was #2?  Am basing this on # of players 3-star and above on the roster?

American Heritage/Plantation

Armwood

Cardinal Gibbons

Chaminade-Madonna

Deerfield Beach

Miami Carol City

Miami Central

Miami Northwestern 

21 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Who had the most D1 talent on their roster this past season?  OK, St Thomas Aquinas wins this one hands down.  But who was #2?  Am basing this on # of players 3-star and above on the roster?

American Heritage/Plantation

Armwood

Cardinal Gibbons

Chaminade-Madonna

Deerfield Beach

Miami Carol City

Miami Central

Miami Northwestern 

Deerfield Beach 

24 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Well looks like Deerfield did squander their talent 

I am not surprised. It is the story of their program. I remember back in 2003, a two loss Edgewater team made the trip to Deerfield Beach to play the then undefeated home team in the state semifinal for class 6A. That DB team had Brent Schaffer a 4 star D1 QB who had a very good arm and good mobility and a bevy of quality receivers. Edgewater picked him off on DB's first drive of the night and subsequently scored and never surrendered their early lead despite DB closing the gap late in the game. 

The following week Edgewater ran into Willie Williams and Ricky Jean Francois and crew (one of the most stifling high school defenses I have ever seen), and despite defending well themselves could not put a drive together against Carol City, eventually losing 13-0. 

The two most loaded teams in the state in terms of "ranked" talent did not make the state finals this past season.  And the two teams that won 7A and 8A, Venice and Dr Phillips, had very modest amounts of high-tier talent comparatively speaking.  It's been said for many years that too many stars on a team can be a problem.    

1 minute ago, OldSchoolLion said:

The two most loaded teams in the state in terms of "ranked" talent did not make the state finals this past season.  And the two teams that won 7A and 8A, Venice and Dr Phillips, had very modest amounts of high-tier talent comparatively speaking.  It's been said for many years that too many stars on a team can be a problem.    

Wouldn't a lot of blame also fall on the coaches since despite being so loaded in talent they weren't able to even make it to the state championship? 

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Wouldn't a lot of blame also fall on the coaches since despite being so loaded in talent they weren't able to even make it to the state championship? 

I'm hesitant to lay blame without knowing all of the details.  Who knows what they were up against.  

9 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I am not surprised. It is the story of their program. I remember back in 2003, a two loss Edgewater team made the trip to Deerfield Beach to play the then undefeated home team in the state semifinal for class 6A. That DB team had Brent Schaffer a 4 star D1 QB who had a very good arm and good mobility and a bevy of quality receivers. Edgewater picked him off on DB's first drive of the night and subsequently scored and never surrendered their early lead despite DB closing the gap late in the game. 

The following week Edgewater ran into Willie Williams and Ricky Jean Francois and crew (one of the most stifling high school defenses I have ever seen), and despite defending well themselves could not put a drive together against Carol City, eventually losing 13-0. 

Kenny Phillips man that defense was BAD ASS!!

30 minutes ago, Zoe Boy said:

Kenny Phillips man that defense was BAD ASS!!

How could I forget about Kenny. Yes, that was probably the best high school defense I ever saw. There was no weakness on it. The day after Edgewater beat Deerfield, i went to the Orange Bowl to see the other state semifinal between Carol City and Killian. Killian had a bad ass running back and a big offensive line. The only managed to get into Carol City territory once in the whole game which ended with the Chiefs winning 3-0. 

I knew watching that game that Edgewater was going to struggle to score against Carol City, as earlier in the season they had struggled against a very good Mainland defense, losing that game 13-7. That Mainland team was its only state champion as they beat Naples in the 5A title game.