Rivalry Game Threatened due to Transfers

gatorman-uf

So let me get this straight 

They have no evidence of them recruiting but Pasco assumes that rules were broken anyway? 

Perhaps the recent track record between the 2 teams and Pasco being on probation has more to do with them leaving for their rival then some "recruiting" that there is no evidence of 

18 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

..ironic that this article about team unity at Pasco was written not too long ago.   Their coach has been there since 2007, so has a lot invested.  Must be difficult to see the program fall apart. 

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/footballpreps/pasco-turns-corner-gets-rid-of-the-me-mentality/2336463

This is what happens when you have transferring at will. Players feel no obligation to their team and show no respect to their coaches, fans, and even teachers. It takes a lot of hard work and time to develop a respectable football program only to have key members of that program just up and leave on a whim. I am just surprised, but then again not really surprised, that parents are allowing this to go on. I can see transferring to another school if the other school is academically better and you want your son to get a better education. But transferring only to play football, irrespective of what kind of education is provided, defeats the purpose of a high school and that is quality education. And people shake their heads and just cannot understand why schools are not able to retain good coaches any more. You have your answer in this Tampa Bay Times article.

14 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

This is what happens when you have transferring at will. Players feel no obligation to their team and show no respect to their coaches, fans, and even teachers. It takes a lot of hard work and time to develop a respectable football program only to have key members of that program just up and leave on a whim. I am just surprised, but then again not really surprised, that parents are allowing this to go on. I can see transferring to another school if the other school is academically better and you want your son to get a better education. But transferring only to play football, irrespective of what kind of education is provided, defeats the purpose of a high school and that is quality education. And people shake their heads and just cannot understand why schools are not able to retain good coaches any more. You have your answer in this Tampa Bay Times article.

The challenge coaches face today is really no different than that faced by hiring managers.   Companies are bitching about not being able to retain talent and complain that millenials are self-centered, have unrealistic expectations, etc.  The smart managers are looking themselves in the mirror and challenging themselves to figure out ways to better engage their talent so that it sticks around.    

No doubt there are kids out there that are going to leave regardless of one's efforts, and those are the ones we might not want on our teams anyway.  I have to think there are also some kids who leave because they and/or their parents do not feel as invested in the program/school as they could be.  The job of the coach is changing, just like a lot of other jobs today.  They need to deal with it or leave the profession.  

There are a number of high-tier players in Florida who stuck it out at lower-profile programs.  No doubt they would have been welcome elsewhere with open arms.  Something kept them there, and my guess is that those players felt ownership in their schools.

32 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

And this would be true if this only happened in FL 

But transfers happen in plenty of states that don't have the coaching turnover of FL 

Coaching turnover has more to do with the state leaders being cheap towards public schools then it does with transfers

1 minute ago, OldSchoolLion said:

The challenge coaches face today is really no different than that faced by hiring managers.   Companies are bitching about not being able to retain talent and complain that millenials are self-centered, have unrealistic expectations, etc.  The smart managers are looking themselves in the mirror and challenging themselves to figure out ways to better engage their talent so that it sticks around.    

No doubt there are kids out there that are going to leave regardless of one's efforts, and those are the ones we might not want on our teams anyway.  I have to think there are also some kids who leave because they and/or their parents do not feel as invested in the program/school as they could be.  The job of the coach is changing, just like a lot of other jobs today.  They need to deal with it or leave the profession.  

There are a number of high-tier players in Florida who stuck it out at lower-profile programs.  No doubt they would have been welcome elsewhere with open arms.  Something kept them there, and my guess is that those players felt ownership in their schools.

Look at the college level,  coaches go job to job there and no one complains but are critical of athletes doing the same

If people hate these transfers they better take same stance when coaches do it

6 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Look at the college level,  coaches go job to job there and no one complains but are critical of athletes doing the same

If people hate these transfers they better take same stance when coaches do it

Exactly!! Players learn from what coaches do..

Many years ago, fans and coaches talked about the AAU mentality, where the purpose was putting together "superteams" to win these large basketball tournaments that billed themselves as national championships. Players would move from team to team to try and get on a winning team. Forgetting that that the journey is a big part of getting to the destination. I would understand if your coach wasn't making you a better player but most of the time when you had more wins/better stats because the talent around you was better, not because you were better.

We have raised a generation of kids who think it is okay to google a walkthrough for any game rather than figure it out on their own.

We shouldn't be surprised to see that same mentality enter football where earning the ring/scholarship becomes the only goal rather the journey in how you did that which often entails a struggle.

1 hour ago, gatorman-uf said:

Many years ago, fans and coaches talked about the AAU mentality, where the purpose was putting together "superteams" to win these large basketball tournaments that billed themselves as national championships. Players would move from team to team to try and get on a winning team. Forgetting that that the journey is a big part of getting to the destination. I would understand if your coach wasnt making you a better player but most of the time you has more wins/better stats because the talent around you was better, not because you were better.

We have raised a generation of kids who think it is okay to google a walkthrough for any game rather than figure it out on their own.

We shouldn't be surprised to see that same mentality enter football where earning the ring/scholarship becomes the only goal rather the journey in how you did that which often entails a struggle.

image.png.f79d48b0691aeac4b803a9af1bc5eb78.png

10 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

Many years ago, fans and coaches talked about the AAU mentality, where the purpose was putting together "superteams" to win these large basketball tournaments that billed themselves as national championships. Players would move from team to team to try and get on a winning team. Forgetting that that the journey is a big part of getting to the destination. I would understand if your coach wasn't making you a better player but most of the time when you had more wins/better stats because the talent around you was better, not because you were better.

Then why play sports if there’s nothing to gain from it?

10 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

Many years ago, fans and coaches talked about the AAU mentality, where the purpose was putting together "superteams" to win these large basketball tournaments that billed themselves as national championships. Players would move from team to team to try and get on a winning team. Forgetting that that the journey is a big part of getting to the destination. I would understand if your coach wasnt making you a better player but most of the time you has more wins/better stats because the talent around you was better, not because you were better.

12 minutes ago, Zoe Boy said:

Zoe Boy asks an interesting question.  Years ago expectations of hs athletes were nothing like today.  Now football is like having a full-time job...very time-consuming and very expensive.  I can understand parents and kids wanting to get something in return for their investment and that being a major focus.   

Come on guys. Gatorman said "where earning the ring/scholarship becomes the only goal rather the journey in how you did". The key word is ONLY. If your only goal in High school is to win a championship in football then you are a pretty immature person. If that is all you gain from playing football then I don't know what to tell that person. There are many, if not most, youngsters who play HS football just for the pleasure of the game and for competing. They enjoy playing in front of their parents, fans, and others. Most do not have any expectations of college football scholarships much less the mostly non existent possibility of playing in the NFL. Very few HS players, out of the hundreds of thousands of HS players, ever make it to D-1 colleges. Those that do, many do not graduate and others do not make the team cut even if they graduate. Out of the players that do get scholarships to D-1 schools I'm wondering how many were recruited from schools that never won a championship. The recruiters know where the quality players are. They don't need a championship to find them. 

Just offering my opinion, for what it's worth, and not trying to be divisive. <_<

14 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

Come on guys. Gatorman said "where earning the ring/scholarship becomes the only goal rather the journey in how you did". The key word is ONLY. If your only goal in High school is to win a championship in football then you are a pretty immature person. If that is all you gain from playing football then I don't know what to tell that person. There are many, if not most, youngsters who play HS football just for the pleasure of the game and for competing. They enjoy playing in front of their parents, fans, and others. Most do not have any expectations of college football scholarships much less the mostly non existent possibility of playing in the NFL. Very few HS players, out of the hundreds of thousands of HS players, ever make it to D-1 colleges. Those that do, many do not graduate and others do not make the team cut even if they graduate. Out of the players that do get scholarships to D-1 schools I'm wondering how many were recruited from schools that never won a championship. The recruiters know where the quality players are. They don't need a championship to find them. 

Just offering my opinion, for what it's worth, and not trying to be divisive. <_<

It's easy for us adults to say the kids are immature and selfish.  And no doubt some are...they are kids.  What we do not always know is what is driving a kid to win that ring.  

I know a young athlete who was driven to extremes that many attributed to vainglory.  In reality, he was driven by great anger due to a lack of a sense of family and absence of his father.  He was never on a "winning team" at home, so being on one on the field was incredibly important for him.  Winning the ring was an obsession and the only thing he thought he had going for him at the time.  Was his view skewed?  Sure it was, but life looks very different through the eyes of a teen, as many of us know. 

14 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

What does this even mean? 

4 hours ago, Zoe Boy said:

Better yet why play if your goal isn't to be the best at it

People complain about being too much "participation trophies" in the game but then people complain whenever someone is too competitive 

How exactly does a athlete win with people these days? 

1 hour ago, Proseteye said:

Well unfortunately in this day and age winning a championship is the only way to gain respect because in people's mindsets either your a champion or your trash

That's the mindset that's been created because of these all star programs that beat decent teams and teams who would have been considered good 20 years ago and make them look like a jv squad

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

It's easy for us adults to say the kids are immature and selfish.  And no doubt some are...they are kids.  What we do not always know is what is driving a kid to win that ring.  

I know a young athlete who was driven to extremes that many attributed to vainglory.  In reality, he was driven by great anger due to a lack of a sense of family and absence of his father.  He was never on a "winning team" at home, so being on one on the field was incredibly important for him.  Winning the ring was an obsession and the only thing he thought he had going for him at the time.  Was his view skewed?  Sure it was, but life looks very different through the eyes of a teen, as many of us know. 

A lot of people in society these days would rather tear people down instead of admiring people who made the most of the opportunity 

I see on social media everyday where people are attacking pro athletes because they "get paid too much"

THEY EARNED IT!  

They worked their ass off to get that opportunity, it wasn't handed to them

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

What does this even mean? 

If a kid is playing GTA or any other video game, they google a walkthrough/FAQ/Beginner's Guide in how to beat the level rather than through trial and error. They think the goal is "beat" the game rather than actually learn how to beat the game. They are the same kids who if they play other video games will buy all the "perks" to have a character that starts off great rather than earn their success.

5 hours ago, Zoe Boy said:

I think there is a lot to gain from sports. I think a scholarship and a championship are some of those things. But I also think that there are soft skills that a person learns through sports. How to work with otherwise, how to lift others up, how to lead and be led. I think sports are fantastic, but I also don't think that a team is great only if they win a championship. I don't think a kid is a great player if he has tons of stats or earns a scholarship. I think when he only focus on the rings/scholarships we miss the whole point of what sports are designed to which is to create better people, both physically and mentally. Some of the videos I love watching is when the University gives the walk-on his scholarship and the tears of joy that the player shows. They know the long hours they put in. They know the pain and suffering they had to face to earn that scholarship. Yes, he earned the scholarship, but the journey (the weight room, film room, the practices) was a long rough part of it. We just want to skip that part. 

It isn't that a kid shouldn't be focused on winning, but again that it is the AAU mentality. Rather than build up my classmates and teammates up, let's just go get that kid to transfer to our school. 

People complain about being too much "participation trophies" in the game but then people complain whenever someone is too competitive 

How exactly does a athlete win with people these days? 

I am not arguing for participation trophies, I am not arguing against trying to win. I am arguing that if you want to win you should build it yourself and not bandwagon on to someone else's success. I disliked Lebron going to Miami with Bosh and Wade to form a superteam (if he just went for the money, no problem). I respected him when he went back to Cleveland and won a championship. I dislike KD going to Golden State when they had already won a championship without him (and probably should have won the year before he joined). I don't admire his as much as I did when he was with OKC when he was building something. 

Well unfortunately in this day and age winning a championship is the only way to gain respect because in people's mindsets either your a champion or your trash

That's the mindset that's been created because of these all star programs that beat decent teams and teams who would have been considered good 20 years ago and make them look like a jv squad

So Columbia softball; trash in 2018? If you asked the coaches and players and parents, would they feel the same way?
And the all star programs are a problem. I don't understand travel baseball for T-Ball kids. I don't understand travel basketball for kids who are still learning how to add and multiply. 

20 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

If a kid is playing GTA or any other video game, they google a walkthrough/FAQ/Beginner's Guide in how to beat the level rather than through trial and error. They think the goal is "beat" the game rather than actually learn how to beat the game. They are the same kids who if they play other video games will buy all the "perks" to have a character that starts off great rather than earn their success.

Ok that makes sense

23 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

I think there is a lot to gain from sports. I think a scholarship and a championship are some of those things. But I also think that there are soft skills that a person learns through sports. How to work with otherwise, how to lift others up, how to lead and be led. I think sports are fantastic, but I also don't think that a team is great only if they win a championship. I don't think a kid is a great player if he has tons of stats or earns a scholarship. I think when he only focus on the rings/scholarships we miss the whole point of what sports are designed to which is to create better people, both physically and mentally. Some of the videos I love watching is when the University gives the walk-on his scholarship and the tears of joy that the player shows. They know the long hours they put in. They know the pain and suffering they had to face to earn that scholarship. Yes, he earned the scholarship, but the journey (the weight room, film room, the practices) was a long rough part of it. We just want to skip that part. 

It isn't that a kid shouldn't be focused on winning, but again that it is the AAU mentality. Rather than build up my classmates and teammates up, let's just go get that kid to transfer to our school. 

I am not arguing for participation trophies, I am not arguing against trying to win. I am arguing that if you want to win you should build it yourself and not bandwagon on to someone else's success. I disliked Lebron going to Miami with Bosh and Wade to form a superteam (if he just went for the money, no problem). I respected him when he went back to Cleveland and won a championship. I dislike KD going to Golden State when they had already won a championship without him (and probably should have won the year before he joined). I don't admire his as much as I did when he was with OKC when he was building something. 

So Columbia softball; trash in 2018? If you asked the coaches and players and parents, would they feel the same way?
And the all star programs are a problem. I don't understand travel baseball for T-Ball kids. I don't understand travel basketball for kids who are still learning how to add and multiply. 

That is a problem in sports in general that because so much emphasis is placed on just winning that people will just jump to easiest place to win and it has damaged the sport 

Used to be people want to beat teams like STA and IMG 

Now they rather just join them to take easy way out 

26 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

I agree

28 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Not to me,  i couldn't have been more proud of a team that was assumed to be down before the season prove that we weren't going away anytime soon 

Even though I'm sure some people who know nothing about how much heart that team played with or how hard they worked will only look to the final 2 games and judge the entire season based on it

They will win a state championship and the journey will make it sweet,  we build our team off of home grown talent

5 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

I think when he only focus on the rings/scholarships we miss the whole point of what sports are designed to which is to create better people, both physically and mentally. 

Life is all about the journey.  Like the kids today, I ran around like a chicken with my head cut off chasing "success" and happiness, until I finally figured out that the rings, wealth and titles meant nothing to me later in life.  The kids will figure it out as they get older, like most of us do.  What concerns me most is the older folks playing upon their insecurities for their gain, and it is happening at a younger and younger age now.  

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Life is all about the journey.  Like the kids today, I ran around like a chicken with my head cut off chasing "success" and happiness, until I finally figured out that the rings, wealth and titles meant nothing to me later in life.  The kids will figure it out as they get older, like most of us do.  What concerns me most is the older folks playing upon their insecurities for their gain, and it is happening at a younger and younger age now.  

I probably am insecure 

Until I can help Columbia get to a state championship game I haven't worked hard enough 

I haven't done enough to help

I'm tired of always losing to average local teams, if I'm gonna lose i rather lose to the best in FL not some former powerhouse or some upstart program

I have too much pride to accept losing to anyone short of the best the state has to offer 

17 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

Ok I see where your coming from but only can agree with some.. Like a walk on getting a scholarship.. Most of the times them kids do have scholarships but choose to be walk on to schools they want to go to that didn’t give them scholarships... As for Lebron I didn’t mind what he did cause him and Chris Bosh join the heat... These things been happening since the Boston Celtics glory days and Lakers and even the Bulls... A kid transfers to a better Situation still has to work hard n grind to win that championship... So should I be upset Bama keep getting kids that’s are highly recruited knowing there’s a high chance they gonna sit the bench? 

The Bulls didnt create a superteam though, the only major addition in their run was Rodman....

Jordan, Pippen, Grant, Kukoc, Armstrong, Will Perdue all drafted, so i am not seeing the argument for the creation of a super team... Steve Kerr was coming off a 2 point per game season and had only once been above 6 ppg when they signed him...even the addition of Rodman was a straight trade for Perdue after a season in which he was considered a basketcase.

The scholarship walkon is a rarity, which makes his success in getting the scholarship that much more awesome bc he could have been getting one at another low level school.

But the whole point of transfering is to not have to be as good bc you are surrounded by better athletes. Rather than recruiting your own hallways or texting your teammates

About weight room and conditioning and building something, you take the easier route.

As for Bama kids, nobody zones those kids. Tgey can chose Bama for multiple reasons. But imagine a QB is at UAB, he is awesome. He then transfers to Bama. Is that fair after UAB molded, coached him, that now he is good for Bama just to take him?