What creates a 5 star player/what does it take to create a power house program??

“PANTHER NATION(CODE BLUE)

So starting last night a few things was on my mind and two of those things were What creates a 5 star player(hope in asking it right) and what does it take to develope a power house program? 

In my opinion what creates a 5 star 4 star or whatever type star player is COACHING!!! YES some kids are just a freak of nature as in height width strength added with the “by any means necessary attitude” but I believe it still all boils down to SOLID COACHING no matter if a player is 5’8 or 6’5 you have to use him to his GREATEST STRENGTHS it shouldn’t be “Hey your 6’8 let’s automatically plug you in at WR” that may not be what your strengths are. So it got me to wondering are a lot of kids on the high school level being put where they can beat excel? And if not is that one of the main reasons the over program is not reaching its max potential.?

Which brings me to the second question what does it takes to develope a POWER HOUSE PROGRAM... well in this day in age all is takes is a known coach and a boat load of transfers EX: Flanagan ...OXB...Hallandale 14 15 

But iF were talking about from the ground up what does it take ?? AGAIN IN MY OPINION I’m starting with SOLID COACHING you have to have a No Bs Coaching staff who not only believes in hisself but the kids and also the program. To many times especially in south Florida you have the kids basically running the coaches especially the 5 star primodana players who feel they are above the rest of the team. It is the coaches job to DEMAND respect from that team as a coach you have to leave by example show that u care in more just the football side of them. Create a family atmosphere CREATE DiSCIPLINE which is basically non existent at a lot of South Florida schools.. in order to have a chance at winning you have to First STOP BEATING YOURSELF!! 

Two. You can’t be afraid to make an example out of the STAR PLAYERS to show that the same rules apply for EVERYONE to many times coaches are afraid of upsetting the star players for the fear they may transfer or quit...as a Coach if your not trying to listen and you want to be OVER the rest of the team and coaching and not a good example for your team mates then you are not what’s needed on my team regardless of your football rankings. It has to be ONE TEAM ONE GOAL ONE DREAM!! but in today’s world u don’t have that you don’t have a lot of teams looking to fight the odds everyone wants to be and do what they see on tv which is where all this super team crap originated from. So again what creates a 5 star player and what does it take to DEVLOPE A POWER HOUSE...???

Im interested in you guys thoughts.

I think the 4* and 5* (non-QBs) come down to height, weight, speed first and foremost. I don't think many Power 5 college coaches are recruiting a 5'10" QB or a 5'6" RB. They can make the correct read, have the best technique, but ultimately 4* and 5* are a result of DNA first and foremost. Coaching matters, but coaching turns an average athlete to a starter. It turns a starter into an All-Area. It turns an All-Area into a player who enjoys football enough that they want to continue playing (even if it at a no-name school in Illinois). 

If we are talking a brand new program or a rebuild, yes it takes coaching, but I think it takes a certain type of coaches in terms of personality.

I want a high energy coach, I want a coach who recruits his hallways (not his opponents). If he sees a kid, he invites him to either watch the game or play the game. It isn't just the head coach either, every assistant has to be dedicated to the idea that involving every kid at the school in the program is good for the program. I want the coach who goes out of his way to thank the cheerleaders, dance team, and band. I want the coach who reminds his players to go sing the alma mater or fight song with the student section and band. I want a coach who wants a student section and encourages a student section. I want the coach who uses corporate sponsors to make sure every kid has a school T-Shirt that they can wear. I want the coaches who are are at every rivalry and big basketball, baseball, and softball game. 

Does the coach have to set expectations for what it means to be on the team, absolutely. But you first, have to identify what it means for the team to be part of the community. Get the community (school and town) to understand that the team matters, and kids will follow through. Once kids understand the team matters in the community's eyes, they will want to be part of it.

As for the actual field, I want a coach who loves football and understands football. I want a coach who has an infectious love for football the point that teachers at the school come to games, not because they like football, but because they like the coach. A coach who understands that most of the players that he coaches will put on a helmet after they leave high school, so he prepares them in the soft skills they need for after football (leadership, teamwork, communication, personal discipline, perseverance). I think a coach who does these things, creates a powerhouse program because people will naturally be drawn to it. Those players will run through walls for that coach.

While the STA, Miami Central, Miami Northwesterns of the world, will always contend. I think the coach who creates the atmosphere I describe, creates a football team that has lots of small college players, who will never be recruited by a Power 5 team, is how you create that powerhouse. As it is easier to create that consistency. Occasionally, you get lightning in the bottle and get blessed with a kid with the DNA to be a 5*, but I think it is easier to create the consistent team. 

27 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

I think the 4* and 5* (non-QBs) come down to height, weight, speed first and foremost. I don't think many Power 5 college coaches are recruiting a 5'10" QB or a 5'6" RB. They can make the correct read, have the best technique, but ultimately 4* and 5* are a result of DNA first and foremost. Coaching matters, but coaching turns an average athlete to a starter. It turns a starter into an All-Area. It turns an All-Area into a player who enjoys football enough that they want to continue playing (even if it at a no-name school in Illinois). 

If we are talking a brand new program or a rebuild, yes it takes coaching, but I think it takes a certain type of coaches in terms of personality.

I want a high energy coach, I want a coach who recruits his hallways (not his opponents). If he sees a kid, he invites him to either watch the game or play the game. It isn't just the head coach either, every assistant has to be dedicated to the idea that involving every kid at the school in the program is good for the program. I want the coach who goes out of his way to thank the cheerleaders, dance team, and band. I want the coach who reminds his players to go sing the alma mater or fight song with the student section and band. I want a coach who wants a student section and encourages a student section. I want the coach who uses corporate sponsors to make sure every kid has a school T-Shirt that they can wear. I want the coaches who are are at every rivalry and big basketball, baseball, and softball game. 

Does the coach have to set expectations for what it means to be on the team, absolutely. But you first, have to identify what it means for the team to be part of the community. Get the community (school and town) to understand that the team matters, and kids will follow through. Once kids understand the team matters in the community's eyes, they will want to be part of it.

As for the actual field, I want a coach who loves football and understands football. I want a coach who has an infectious love for football the point that teachers at the school come to games, not because they like football, but because they like the coach. A coach who understands that most of the players that he coaches will put on a helmet after they leave high school, so he prepares them in the soft skills they need for after football (leadership, teamwork, communication, personal discipline, perseverance). I think a coach who does these things, creates a powerhouse program because people will naturally be drawn to it. Those players will run through walls for that coach.

While the STA, Miami Central, Miami Northwesterns of the world, will always contend. I think the coach who creates the atmosphere I describe, creates a football team that has lots of small college players, who will never be recruited by a Power 5 team, is how you create that powerhouse. As it is easier to create that consistency. Occasionally, you get lightning in the bottle and get blessed with a kid with the DNA to be a 5*, but I think it is easier to create the consistent team. 

Wow man just wow!!! You took the words Right out of my mouth if I could grade that response it would be a A+++++++ I agree with you to the up most. To add with what you said tho don’t the administration/ principle have to give the coach that type of power first tho ?

1 hour ago, “PANTHER NATION(CODE BLUE) said:

In my opinion what creates a 5 star 4 star or whatever type star player is COACHING!!! YES some kids are just a freak of nature as in height width strength added with the “by any means necessary attitude” but I believe it still all boils down to SOLID COACHING no matter if a player is 5’8 or 6’5 you have to use him to his GREATEST STRENGTHS it shouldn’t be “Hey your 6’8 let’s automatically plug you in at WR” that may not be what your strengths are. So it got me to wondering are a lot of kids on the high school level being put where they can beat excel? And if not is that one of the main reasons the over program is not reaching its max potential.?

To gatorman's point, one has to have the DNA in today's game.  That said, the job of any coach or mentor is to help one recognize one's strengths and weaknesses, and to prepare one for the next level.  The challenge is that the role of the coach has changed over time, and along the way I think we have lost sight of how a coach really adds value. 

There's a process of helping each child explore the whole range of possibilities, in the classroom and on the playing field.  That involves some work, and some coaches take the easy road.  Look at how many great players out there started off in one position and ended up in another because he had a coach who was willing to experiment and had the confidence that he could teach the kid a new position.    

3 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

To gatorman's point, one has to have the DNA in today's game.  That said, the job of any coach or mentor is to help one recognize one's strengths and weaknesses, and to prepare one for the next level.  The challenge is that the role of the coach has changed over time, and along the way I think we have lost sight of how a coach really adds value. 

There's a process of helping each child explore the whole range of possibilities, in the classroom and on the playing field.  That involves some work, and some coaches take the easy road.  Look at how many great players out there started off in one position and ended up in another because he had a coach who was willing to experiment and had the confidence that he could teach the kid a new position.    

Agreed the values of old have been lost for some time now.

1 hour ago, “PANTHER NATION(CODE BLUE) said:

So starting last night a few things was on my mind and two of those things were What creates a 5 star player(hope in asking it right) and what does it take to develope a power house program? 

Which brings me to the second question what does it takes to develope a POWER HOUSE PROGRAM... well in this day in age all is takes is a known coach and a boat load of transfers EX: Flanagan ...OXB...Hallandale 14 15 

But iF were talking about from the ground up what does it take ?? AGAIN IN MY OPINION I’m starting with SOLID COACHING you have to have a No Bs Coaching staff who not only believes in hisself but the kids and also the program. To many times especially in south Florida you have the kids basically running the coaches especially the 5 star primodana players who feel they are above the rest of the team. It is the coaches job to DEMAND respect from that team as a coach you have to leave by example show that u care in more just the football side of them. Create a family atmosphere CREATE DiSCIPLINE which is basically non existent at a lot of South Florida schools.. in order to have a chance at winning you have to First STOP BEATING YOURSELF!! 

Two. You can’t be afraid to make an example out of the STAR PLAYERS to show that the same rules apply for EVERYONE to many times coaches are afraid of upsetting the star players for the fear they may transfer or quit...as a Coach if your not trying to listen and you want to be OVER the rest of the team and coaching and not a good example for your team mates then you are not what’s needed on my team regardless of your football rankings. It has to be ONE TEAM ONE GOAL ONE DREAM!! but in today’s world u don’t have that you don’t have a lot of teams looking to fight the odds everyone wants to be and do what they see on tv which is where all this super team crap originated from. So again what creates a 5 star player and what does it take to DEVLOPE A POWER HOUSE...???

Im interested in you guys thoughts.

To answer your question I would say powerhouses are ones that are always good,  i don't think a team like Oxbridge should really be a powerhouse, they were a elite team but they faded out too quickly 

There's a difference between a elite team and a powerhouse 

Yes a team like Miami Central or St Thomas Aquinas are powerhouses and elite teams but then you have teams who were as good as anyone for a short period (Flanagan) but no they weren't a powerhouse because it was too short term of a success 

When i think of powerhouses I think of someone like St Augustine, Mainland, Apopka, ect 

Teams like those don't always get blessed with 4 and 5 star players but they are always contenders and always find a way to compete and beat teams who do

43 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Wouldn't Columbia fit that build?  Sure we get a few studs every now and then but probably 80% of our players that play next level do so at lesser known colleges and when it comes to consistent you won't find many teams who have made playoffs more in past 25 years then us

In fact I think i made a thread before and there was like only 11 or 12 schools in all of FL who had as many or more playoff appearances as us in that span 

22 minutes ago, “PANTHER NATION(CODE BLUE) said:

Wow man just wow!!! You took the words Right out of my mouth if I could grade that response it would be a A+++++++ I agree with you to the up most. To add with what you said tho don’t the administration/ principle have to give the coach that type of power first tho ?

Yeah the administration has to be behind the coach,  you can see some areas of the state that lack stability in administration and it trickles down to coaching staff and player turnover as well if you dig deep enough it's real easy to find

5 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Yeah the administration has to be behind the coach,  you can see some areas of the state that lack stability in administration and it trickles down to coaching staff and player turnover as well if you dig deep enough it's real easy to find

Oh trust me I know lol

17 hours ago, “PANTHER NATION(CODE BLUE) said:

Principals (just like coaches) have to a vision for the school. Academically, first and foremost. Extracurriculars, second. They see the value of a good athletics program and the value of successful coaches. A good principal though is creative though. They find ways to make sure the coach that you want has a spot at the school even if we have a limited spot for them. The principal encourages the coaches to go to coaching clinics, not just to learn, but to connect with other assistants and find those assistants that fit the personality type that I describe above. The principal encourages the coaches to go out and recruit other teachers/coaches, especially if the coach is in a position other than PE. 

4 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

Principals (just like coaches) have to a vision for the school. Academically, first and foremost. Extracurriculars, second. They see the value of a good athletics program and the value of successful coaches. A good principal though is creative though. They find ways to make sure the coach that you want has a spot at the school even if we have a limited spot for them. The principal encourages the coaches to go to coaching clinics, not just to learn, but to connect with other assistants and find those assistants that fit the personality type that I describe above. The principal encourages the coaches to go out and recruit other teachers/coaches, especially if the coach is in a position other than PE. 

Exactly but not a lot of principles even care that much