Apopka at West Orange

DarterBlue2

In the regular season game, West Orange defeated Apopka 15-14 in overtime when they decided to go for two rather than do it again. In that game Apopka was without Jaquan Lohman, the heart and soul of its offense. Consequentially, Apopka was unable to mount much offense during the game and only forced overtime in the 4th quarter due to a huge defensive play that set Apopka up in the red zone late in the 4th quarter. This enabled them to tie the game at 7 apiece after West Orange had led for most of the game.

Last week, Apopka demonstrated that its coaching staff used the bye week productively. The result was a complete overhaul of the offense, both with respect to personnel and scheme. The result was probably Apopka's best offensive game of the season. If Apopka has remained healthy and can repeat last week's performance, I expect a different game than the regular season matchup. West Orange has several weapons at their disposal including a third McDoom and another rangy receiver. However, I believe that if Apopka can repeat last week's form it will win convincingly. While I am not predicting a blowout, I see the Darters taking this game by two scores and moving on to the third round and either a rematch with Lake Mary or a date with Oviedo. If I am right, this should set up a rematch with either Seminole or Bartram Trail in the state semifinals. 

Final Apopka 18 West Orange 9. Most physical game I have seen all year. Apopka shot itself in the foot three times but comes out with the win. Next is a rematch with Lake Mary but this time at Apopka. Hope the Darters are not too banged up from this game. If they are healthy, I expect a three score win and a trip to the semis against either Seminole or Bartram Trail (I did not check to see if these two won. Am I bad if one or both lost).

12 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Final Apopka 18 West Orange 9. Most physical game I have seen all year. Apopka shot itself in the foot three times but comes out with the win. Next is a rematch with Lake Mary but this time at Apopka. Hope the Darters are not too banged up from this game. If they are healthy, I expect a three score win and a trip to the semis against either Seminole or Bartram Trail (I did not check to see if these two won. Am I bad if one or both lost).

A good win for Apopka. I hope they don't look past Lake Mary which has a good passing offense. I agree that an Apopka - Seminole game in two weeks would be a great game with two very good QBs leading their teams. Either team would be a great representative for Central Florida going forward.

1 hour ago, HornetFan said:

A good win for Apopka. I hope they don't look past Lake Mary which has a good passing offense. I agree that an Apopka - Seminole game in two weeks would be a great game with two very good QBs leading their teams. Either team would be a great representative for Central Florida going forward.

The experienced coaching staff won't. Hopefully, the kids don't. Credit to West Orange. In the second half, Apopka was first and goal inside the 5 twice and could not punch it in, instead settling for field goals both times. The West Orange defensive line in this game, was the toughest I have seen this year. 

1 hour ago, DarterBlue2 said:

The experienced coaching staff won't. Hopefully, the kids don't. Credit to West Orange. In the second half, Apopka was first and goal inside the 5 twice and could not punch it in, instead settling for field goals both times. The West Orange defensive line in this game, was the toughest I have seen this year. 

The Apopka DL against Winter Park was pretty tough too. I think changing the offense against WP was a great move by Apopka coaches as it freed up the QB and game him room to maximize his running skills. He was the difference in that game. I don't think he would have had that running room in the single wing. Good luck to Apopka the rest of the way. I look forward to keeping them on my radar; they're a threat to go all the way..

2 hours ago, HornetFan said:

I wouldn't count Bartram out quite yet, they did make a very talented Oakleaf team look like a jv team

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I wouldn't count Bartram out quite yet, they did make a very talented Oakleaf team look like a jv team

If Bartram gets past Seminole in the next round, they will be a worthy opponent for Apopka, who should get past Lake Mary as long as they're not looking ahead to the next week. 

11 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

Also, compliments to the 12 and under Apopka Blue Darter team for winning the Pop Warner Southeast Region Division 1 Championship. The team would play at Disney next normally, but because of Covid the Blue Darters will be playing a Bowl Game instead.  

Apopka Pop Warner organization is probably one of the best run youth football programs in Central Florida, if not the best. Also, their facilities are amazing. 

2 hours ago, HornetFan said:

Apopka Pop Warner organization is probably one of the best run youth football programs in Central Florida, if not the best. Also, their facilities are amazing. 

It sustains the high school program, and is the chief reason Apopka has not had to actively recruit to remain relevant in Central Florida high school football. In that sense, the high school is lucky even though it now competes with Wekiva for some of that talent.