Week 0 surprises???

Jullian

1 minute ago, Ray Icaza said:

Maybe you should have a heart to heart with HS football expert Buddy Collins of the Orlando Sentinel.  He just published his rankings and has DP ranked ahead of WP.  Reckon he has some insider info??

Pre-season rankings place too much emphasis on reputation based upon performance from past years; this is a new year with new players. Did Buddy Collins put together his rankings before or after Lake Minneola bitch-slapped DP last Friday? WP is a fairly young team and still had their way with DP in 1/4 of varsity play in the Spring Jamboree. Let me know what you think of DP after they play Jones this Friday.

36 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

Pre-season rankings place too much emphasis on reputation based upon performance from past years; this is a new year with new players. Did Buddy Collins put together his rankings before or after Lake Minneola bitch-slapped DP last Friday? WP is a fairly young team and still had their way with DP in 1/4 of varsity play in the Spring Jamboree. Let me know what you think of DP after they play Jones this Friday.

They were just released... Is that before or after the bitch-slapping?

51 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

They were just released... Is that before or after the bitch-slapping?

I didn't ask if they were just released. The question was when he put the rankings together. The "bitch-slapping" took place three days ago. As I stated above, let me know what you think of DP's prospects after their game this Friday with Jones HS. I think DP will lose to Jones, Apopka, West Orange, Osceola, and Cocoa, at the very least; and I believe they will be put on a running clock in several of those games. Lake Mary will probably beat them too. 

1 hour ago, HornetFan said:

I didn't ask if they were just released. The question was when he put the rankings together. The "bitch-slapping" took place three days ago. As I stated above, let me know what you think of DP's prospects after their game this Friday with Jones HS. I think DP will lose to Jones, Apopka, West Orange, Osceola, and Cocoa, at the very least; and I believe they will be put on a running clock in several of those games. Lake Mary will probably beat them too. 

Your assumption then is that pollsters make a ranking before the game is played on Friday?  Am I understanding that right?  Then after the games are played he RELEASES  new poll that doesn't account for those games regardless of the outcome.  Right.  To early for rankings as I have clearly stated and will get a much better understanding as games are played, won or lost, common opponents, point spread, etc...  Not passing judgement on DP without more games being played. 

58 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Your assumption then is that pollsters make a ranking before the game is played on Friday?  Am I understanding that right?  Then after the games are played he RELEASES  new poll that doesn't account for those games regardless of the outcome.  Right.  To early for rankings as I have clearly stated and will get a much better understanding as games are played, won or lost, common opponents, point spread, etc...  Not passing judgement on DP without more games being played. 

Your assumption then is that pollsters make a ranking before the game is played on Friday? 

As I haven't been able to find the Buddy Collin's poll via Google, maybe you could provide a link to it. My assumption was that he created a pre-season ranking based upon his assumptions as to how teams may perform and he based that on past history. I don't think too many people expected DP to look so bad in the Spring Jamboree and the KOC. Friday will be here in a few days and DP will play a good Jones HS team; we'll see.

10 hours ago, HornetFan said:

Your assumption then is that pollsters make a ranking before the game is played on Friday? 

As I haven't been able to find the Buddy Collin's poll via Google, maybe you could provide a link to it. My assumption was that he created a pre-season ranking based upon his assumptions as to how teams may perform and he based that on past history. I don't think too many people expected DP to look so bad in the Spring Jamboree and the KOC. Friday will be here in a few days and DP will play a good Jones HS team; we'll see.

Orlando Sentinel sports page (yesterday).

9 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

If you read the article, these rankings were obviously made after the games on Friday night.  My whole emphasis is in the insanity of ranking teams this early in the season, not that I agree with his list because I don't.

9 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

I just read the article by JC Carnahan, not Buddy Collins. He does have DP at #10 (down from #7 last season) and WP at #11 (up from #14 last season) and coming into the 1st I have no problem with that. Positions will change as the season progresses and I expect WP may rise maybe 2 or 3 spots while DP should drop like a rock as they accrue loss after loss. I also noticed that West Orange is rated pre-season #4 ahead of Osceola at #5; that should also be interesting as the season progresses. 

3 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

I just read the article by JC Carnahan, not Buddy Collins. He does have DP at #10 (down from #7 last season) and WP at #11 (up from #14 last season) and coming into the 1st I have no problem with that. Positions will change as the season progresses and I expect WP may rise maybe 2 or 3 spots while DP should drop like a rock as they accrue loss after loss. I also noticed that West Orange is rated pre-season #4 ahead of Osceola at #5; that should also be interesting as the season progresses. 

In the Varsity section, if you look at the initial article "Orlando Area Week 1 High School Football Schedule" on the same day the list was produced by Buddy Collins (same rankings).  JC's article came later that day and tagged his name on to the initial article later.

6 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

If you read the article, these rankings were obviously made after the games on Friday night.  My whole emphasis is in the insanity of ranking teams this early in the season, not that I agree with his list because I don't.

I agree with you that pre-season rankings are not a true indicator of what we will probably see as the season progresses. I do like JC Carnahan's articles because he actually attends games on Friday nights so his opinion is respected. Like you stated, I think a few on his list are rated a little too high, but his top 5 are probably the 5 best in the Orlando area, but not necessarily in the order he has them rated. Still, he did a reasonably good job for a pre-season ranking. 

2 hours ago, HornetFan said:

I agree with you that pre-season rankings are not a true indicator of what we will probably see as the season progresses. I do like JC Carnahan's articles because he actually attends games on Friday nights so his opinion is respected. Like you stated, I think a few on his list are rated a little too high, but his top 5 are probably the 5 best in the Orlando area, but not necessarily in the order he has them rated. Still, he did a reasonably good job for a pre-season ranking. 

If nothing else pre-season rankings stir up debate & get fans talking!