Florida High School AP Football Poll Formula (Final Regular Season)

BrowardHandicapper

Trying to figure out this Florida HS AP Football Poll Regular season  formula.  They are essentially saying that Delray Atlantic is as dominant at the 8A level as Trininty Christian is at 3A Level - based on ranking and maximum 1st place votes of 13.  I thought W/L record had a role in the ranking but noticed 7A  #1 St.Thomas Aquinas is 8-1 record and 7A Braden River is #2 at 10-0 (a better record than STA)  .
I know a lot of these rankings do not make much sense but just trying to figure out how they are created.

The 8A AP Poll to me looks off .  Top 3 teams could all be done Friday.

The 7A AP Poll looks a little more realistic. Top 3 look pretty accurate and all could be playing next week .

Other odd rankings as well.  Just wondering if anyone knew the formula or why Delray Atlantic is so heavily ranked as #1 8A ?

Sorry.  Could not copy and past the rankings without it looking jumbled.  Here is the link if you are interested:

http://www.fhsaa.org/news/2015/1111

To me,  Trinity Christian (3A) and Trenton (1A)  are the only classes that I understand a #1 ranking ( and all 1st place votes) .   How Delray Atlantic falls into that category is beyond me.?

Trying to figure out this Florida HS AP Football Poll Regular season  formula.  They are essentially saying that Delray Atlantic is as dominant at the 8A level as Trininty Christian is at 3A Level - based on ranking and maximum 1st place votes of 13.  I thought W/L record had a role in the ranking but noticed 7A  #1 St.Thomas Aquinas is 8-1 record and 7A Braden River is #2 at 10-0 (a better record than STA)  .
I know a lot of these rankings do not make much sense but just trying to figure out how they are created.

The 8A AP Poll to me looks off .  Top 3 teams could all be done Friday.

The 7A AP Poll looks a little more realistic. Top 3 look pretty accurate and all could be playing next week .

Other odd rankings as well.  Just wondering if anyone knew the formula or why Delray Atlantic is so heavily ranked as #1 8A ?

Sorry.  Could not copy and past the rankings without it looking jumbled.  Here is the link if you are interested:

http://www.fhsaa.org/news/2015/1111

To me,  Trinity Christian (3A) and Trenton (1A)  are the only classes that I understand a #1 ranking ( and all 1st place votes) .   How Delray Atlantic falls into that category is beyond me.?

I am no expert, but believe the poll is determined by surveying sports media personalities in the various regions of Florida. In the past not all regions have been represented as some individuals have either not been invited or have declined. For example, a representative from the Orlando Sentinel would participate in the poll. Or a Manny Navarro from the Miami Herald may be a participant. From year to year, the regions have not always been balanced in terms of representation due to a number of factors. 

Depending on the participants, the polls can yield strange results. For example, in Orlando, there are usually no strong 5a teams. Therefore, the opinions of the Orlando Sentinel representative may not be very good, since there is less incentive to do much research in 5a (Bishop Moore may prove the exception this year). So the 5a pick of the Sentinel representative may not be very well informed. By the same token, in the case of Bishop Moore, it may tempt the Orlando pollster to reflect a homer bias for the benefit of his readership. 

Occasionally, the AP polls are good. However, I think in general they are not as reliable as the rankings put out by individuals such as Pinkos or Laz which are one man operations and reflect methodologies that have been refined over a period of time. Like anything that tries to forecast the future, though, all such rankings/polls have their limitations.