Oak Ridge, Evans and soccer relevance within an inner city environment

DarterBlue2

For the first time since I have lived in Central Florida, the only unbeaten men's soccer teams in the area heading into the District tournaments which take place this week are: Oak Ridge and Evans, both of which are 17-0-2. Both Oak Ridge and Evans are what you would consider "inner city" schools (although neither started out that way), comparable in many respects to: Central, MNW, Ely and Dillard in South Florida. Historically, both have sucked at soccer, where the dominant teams in Orlando have been either suburban: e.g. Winter Park, Lake Mary, etc. or largely Hispanic: e.g. Cypress Creek or University. In recent years, West Orange, a middle to lower middle/working class school has also made some noise on the pitch. Nowhere to be found would have been Evans or Oak Ridge which routinely had losing records.

I often wondered why both did not make some noise as a fairly large percentage of the kids from these two schools have Caribbean roots (Haiti, Jamaica, etc.), as well as a decent Hispanic presence. Well after both doing decently last year, this year they have risen to the top, at least through regular season play. It is interesting to note that Oak Ridge's head coach, Kenneth Courtain is actually a South Florida guy who was a member of the Green Bay Packers team in the early 2000s. (That's right, the American brand of football.) I am not sure how he ended up coaching soccer but he has done a heck of a job, and having watched them twice, I would say they are the most explosive team in the area (picture some of the better Central athletes taking to the game). Evans on the other hand, is coached by the due of Bornacelli (a member of staff) and Claude Davis, a volunteer who spent about nine years in the English Premier league. Last year they were coached by an alum Eli Jean who took them from a cellar dweller to a contender in the course of three years. Evans's style is slightly less physical than Oak Ridge and relies a bit more on finesse, coupled with overall team speed.

Both teams are dangerous and if they come out of the district competition as I expect them to, could go very deep in the playoffs. By some quirk, being in Regions I and II, respectively, they could in theory, meet in the state championship game based on how the state series is set up.

I realize that one of the reasons for their success is the fact that some of the better kids at the traditional powerful schools have given up high school for club soccer. Neither the Evans nor Oak Ridge kids have that luxury, as there is no one to pay for them to play. Still, credit must be given to the staffs at both schools for the great job they have done this year.   

thats some good insight there darter, keep us up to date how they do in playoffs, columbia soccer started and appeared that they would overacheive and at one point beat leon out of tallahassee which routinely has very good soccer programs, but second haft of season we fell apart and i beilive our season ended if i remember correctly but going from losing record last year to plus .500 a huge step, hopefully they continue to get better

thats some good insight there darter, keep us up to date how they do in playoffs, columbia soccer started and appeared that they would overacheive and at one point beat leon out of tallahassee which routinely has very good soccer programs, but second haft of season we fell apart and i beilive our season ended if i remember correctly but going from losing record last year to plus .500 a huge step, hopefully they continue to get better

Actually, the way it works in soccer you will still get a chance to play in the district tournament. However, you are probably a low seed with the losses. So the chance to come out of it and into the regional tournament is probably slim as you will have to beat the number one or two seed in the district to get to the semi final and finals. 

However, you are probably a low seed with the losses. 

Most likely, but there is a (slim) chance they get a high seed. 

Last year, there was a three way tie in a five team district. Went through all the tie-breaking procedures and couldn't break the stupid tie. Ended up essentially putting the schools names in a hat a drawing it randomly. (Not sure if this is actually how it was done, but the rules implied something like this be done.) The projected third seed got fifth, the projected fourth got third and the projected fifth got fourth. 

I'm not too sad on our loss, soccer for Columbia improved drastically to go from a losing record to being one game from playoffs is a huge step in the right direction and did it under a first year coach so the future looks bright and it goes to prove it's all about who plays best when it counts so should be a interesting final

Well, Evans fell hard last evening, losing to Olympia 6-2 in the District final. This gives them a road game against a decent Lake Mary team. In two meetings with Olympia, the results have been lopsided both times, with Evans winning the first 6-3 and losing the second 6-2. The truth is that both teams are a lot more equal than either score suggests. Both games reflected runaway momentum in the second half. In the first Evans came back from a 3-0 deficit to score 6 unanswered goals. In the second, after a 1-1 score at the half, Olympia blew away Evans 5-1 in the second half. It is likely both will meet again in the District semi-final, as I think Olympia takes Lake Brantley easily next week and Evans has a good chance of beating Lake Mary on the road. 

The third meeting, if it occurs, will hopefully better reflect the relative strengths of both teams.