Class 3A, Week 2 rankings in my opinion

SPCjessica2004

Week 1 is officially in the books. Here's my top 5 going into week 2- I'm also including some of my notes/thoughts.

1) Clearwater Central Catholic- Marauders knocked off a good Tampa Berkeley Prep team on Thursday which was televised as the game of the week on Brighthouse. There had been quite a bit of hype in this one as Berkeley Prep is CCC's 2nd biggest rival and features some major D-1 studs such as Nicholas Petite-Frere, Sandro Maxwell, Zach Mathis and Tampa Bay Bucs head coach's son, QB Davis Koetter. CCC was without the assistance of 4 defensive starters (Jerquan Newton, Jerjuan Newton, Nick Joseph and Dane Salterelli)- 3 of the 4 players listed start on the defensive line.

CCC's offense fired on all cylinders as Amari Burney and CJ Cotman dominated the game while South Dakota State commit QB Jakob Parks throw for just under 250 yards and 3 TD's. CCC scores 2 TD's on their first 3 plays. The Marauders defense in the 2nd quarter was despondent at best as Berkeley Prep drove the ball up and down the field; however, the offense never faulted and the defense came to life in the 2nd half. I'm willing to give CCC the benefit of the doubt that the 2nd quarter defensive issues were due to defensive starters listed above being out, after all Jerquan Newton is the heart and vocal leader of the defense.  The Marauders host Indian Rocks Christian this week who knocked off SSFC champion Lakeland Santa Fe Catholic 47-6 last week.

2) Jacksonville Trinity Christian- The 3 time defending state champions in class 3A lost a tough one to highly ranked Cocoa in OT down in Cocoa. The immediate reaction to this game was less than favorable for JaxTCA; however, I think that's more due to the expectations of the program than the game itself. The defense did look questionable and the offense probably needs quite a bit more time to gel. People are quick to forget that JaxTCA is essentially rebuilding their entire offense from last year. JaxTCA may be down for a day, but they will be back.

Overall, I debated keeping JaxTCA at #1, but felt that dropping them 1 spot is fair. TCA heads to Jacksonville Ribault this week who last week lost 9-6 to Miami Norland.

3) Oxbridge Academy-  I did not have Oxbridge Academy ranked in my preseason poll based on the turmoil of the program; however, after beating Flanagan 7-6 I felt the resume is strong enough to get them into the top 3 right now. I can't put Oxbridge any higher right now because I just don't believe that they are better than the two teams ranked above them; however, a win over Miami Carol City this week will get me thinking long and hard to re-evaluate things. The talk after the win was that the game was lightening shortened and that Flanagan graduated 30+ seniors. I don't buy ANY of that- Oxbridge won fair and square with the game that was played. Oxbridge plays Miami Carol City this week- which is one of the most interesting games of the week in 3A.

4) Tampa Catholic- The Crusaders didn't have a game last Friday. As a general rule, I try not to drop or promote teams during their bye week. In the Kickoff Classic game, the Crusaders were down 14-13 to Tampa Gaither. I say down and not lost as the game was called just before halftime due to bad weather. This week the Crusaders host AFA before their much anticipated matchup in New Jersey against Bergen Catholic. Most media sites have Tampa Catholic ranked the #2 small school in the Tampa Bay area. The Crusaders are also listed at #12 in the Maxpreps Small School national rankings.

5) Chaminade-Madonna- The Lions didn't have a game last Friday. The Lions are sitting in a great position going into their season as they host North Miami Beach. CMHS is in an interesting position- they played hard against Deerfield Beach in the KoC; but then Deerfield Beach is upset by Hallendale. My opinion? The upcoming game against Cardinal Gibbons is going to be a great on and will tell us where the Lions are as a program.

Biggest Shock of the Week:

No question. American Heritage Delray losing to Naples 50-17. Naples is a historically tough program under longtime head coach Bill Kramer, but this wasn't expected to be one of their better years as they were hit hard due to graduation; because of that, I don't think anybody saw Naples hanging 50 on the Stallions. It doesn't get any easier for the Stallions as they travel to Washington, DC to play St. John's- they follow that up with a game against explosive Glades Central. I'm not going to say the Stallions are in trouble for the playoffs, but until late in the season I'm not seeing any easy games.

Best game of Week 2:

I spoiled this already, but in 3A- for me, it's Oxbridge vs Miami Carol City. Oxbridge is highly ranked in the state via almost every media site (except the AP Poll, which I expect to change this week). Carol City has been fighting tough, but come up short to some powerhouse programs IMG Academy and Coral Gables. A win this week and Oxbridge is going to be on the tips of a lot of peoples tounge. A loss wouldn't be devestating for the Thunderwolves as they will get another crack at a state power when they travel to Orlando West Orange in a few weeks.

Week 1 is officially in the books. Here's my top 5 going into week 2- I'm also including some of my notes/thoughts.

1) Clearwater Central Catholic- Marauders knocked off a good Tampa Berkeley Prep team on Thursday which was televised as the game of the week on Brighthouse. There had been quite a bit of hype in this one as Berkeley Prep is CCC's 2nd biggest rival and features some major D-1 studs such as Nicholas Petite-Frere, Sandro Maxwell, Zach Mathis and Tampa Bay Bucs head coach's son, QB Davis Koetter. CCC was without the assistance of 4 defensive starters (Jerquan Newton, Jerjuan Newton, Nick Joseph and Dane Salterelli)- 3 of the 4 players listed start on the defensive line.

CCC's offense fired on all cylinders as Amari Burney and CJ Cotman dominated the game while South Dakota State commit QB Jakob Parks throw for just under 250 yards and 3 TD's. CCC scores 2 TD's on their first 3 plays. The Marauders defense in the 2nd quarter was despondent at best as Berkeley Prep drove the ball up and down the field; however, the offense never faulted and the defense came to life in the 2nd half. I'm willing to give CCC the benefit of the doubt that the 2nd quarter defensive issues were due to defensive starters listed above being out, after all Jerquan Newton is the heart and vocal leader of the defense.  The Marauders host Indian Rocks Christian this week who knocked off SSFC champion Lakeland Santa Fe Catholic 47-6 last week.

2) Jacksonville Trinity Christian- The 3 time defending state champions in class 3A lost a tough one to highly ranked Cocoa in OT down in Cocoa. The immediate reaction to this game was less than favorable for JaxTCA; however, I think that's more due to the expectations of the program than the game itself. The defense did look questionable and the offense probably needs quite a bit more time to gel. People are quick to forget that JaxTCA is essentially rebuilding their entire offense from last year. JaxTCA may be down for a day, but they will be back.

Overall, I debated keeping JaxTCA at #1, but felt that dropping them 1 spot is fair. TCA heads to Jacksonville Ribault this week who last week lost 9-6 to Miami Norland.

3) Oxbridge Academy-  I did not have Oxbridge Academy ranked in my preseason poll based on the turmoil of the program; however, after beating Flanagan 7-6 I felt the resume is strong enough to get them into the top 3 right now. I can't put Oxbridge any higher right now because I just don't believe that they are better than the two teams ranked above them; however, a win over Miami Carol City this week will get me thinking long and hard to re-evaluate things. The talk after the win was that the game was lightening shortened and that Flanagan graduated 30+ seniors. I don't buy ANY of that- Oxbridge won fair and square with the game that was played. Oxbridge plays Miami Carol City this week- which is one of the most interesting games of the week in 3A.

4) Tampa Catholic- The Crusaders didn't have a game last Friday. As a general rule, I try not to drop or promote teams during their bye week. In the Kickoff Classic game, the Crusaders were down 14-13 to Tampa Gaither. I say down and not lost as the game was called just before halftime due to bad weather. This week the Crusaders host AFA before their much anticipated matchup in New Jersey against Bergen Catholic. Most media sites have Tampa Catholic ranked the #2 small school in the Tampa Bay area. The Crusaders are also listed at #12 in the Maxpreps Small School national rankings.

5) Chaminade-Madonna- The Lions didn't have a game last Friday. The Lions are sitting in a great position going into their season as they host North Miami Beach. CMHS is in an interesting position- they played hard against Deerfield Beach in the KoC; but then Deerfield Beach is upset by Hallendale. My opinion? The upcoming game against Cardinal Gibbons is going to be a great on and will tell us where the Lions are as a program.

Biggest Shock of the Week:

No question. American Heritage Delray losing to Naples 50-17. Naples is a historically tough program under longtime head coach Bill Kramer, but this wasn't expected to be one of their better years as they were hit hard due to graduation; because of that, I don't think anybody saw Naples hanging 50 on the Stallions. It doesn't get any easier for the Stallions as they travel to Washington, DC to play St. John's- they follow that up with a game against explosive Glades Central. I'm not going to say the Stallions are in trouble for the playoffs, but until late in the season I'm not seeing any easy games.

Best game of Week 2:

I spoiled this already, but in 3A- for me, it's Oxbridge vs Miami Carol City. Oxbridge is highly ranked in the state via almost every media site (except the AP Poll, which I expect to change this week). Carol City has been fighting tough, but come up short to some powerhouse programs IMG Academy and Coral Gables. A win this week and Oxbridge is going to be on the tips of a lot of peoples tounge. A loss wouldn't be devestating for the Thunderwolves as they will get another crack at a state power when they travel to Orlando West Orange in a few weeks.

I was at the Oxbridge/Flanagan game. Oxbridge did indeed win that game fair and square.  The game was lightning shortened with about a minute to go and Oxbridge had the ball on the Flanagan 1 yard line (the game was over).  In fact Flanagan, their coaches lined up and even the PA announcer verbally congratulated Oxbridge on a good game and wished them luck the rest of the season.  

No one has to believe it but Flanagan did lose 30+ Seniors last year- that is a fact.

Feel free to count them:   http://www.hudl.com/team/v2/6834/flanagan-high-school-boys-varsity-football/team  

Select 2015-2016 from the drop down menu.

The other media poll that Oxbridge Academy is not really ranked in is the Palm Beach Post who has Oxbridge Academy at #8 in Palm Beach County. 

Great post as always Jessica. 

Just want to say Flanagan is going through some turmoil and will be lucky to break .500 this season, and Cocoa's defense is much improved with the transfers that came in. 4 hard running backs sharing the position this season is going to make it hard to stop Cocoa's clock eating game of pound and grind it out. Don't be to hard on TCA just yet.

Broward,

I think what I wrote and what it came off as were 2 different things. I'm actually giving Oxbridge kudos. I felt you made a great point last week regarding the Oxbridge/Flanagan game when you mentioned that Oxbridge was being setup to fail because if they won then that means Flanagan is down and if Flanagan won that means the turmoil around Oxbridge was really having a negative effect on the team. My point was that regardless of the situation regarding at Flanagan, it was still a big win for Oxbridge. Others have mentioned that Flanagan may turnout to be a .500 team; however, I don't rank teams based on hype and I don't penalize team for losses that haven't occurred (If that were the case, we would crown all state champions based on hype alone). 

I'm the first one to admit, I did NOT rank Oxbridge preseason; however, I felt the strength of that win, coupled with American Heritage losing gets them in the top 5. Since Chaminade and Tampa Catholic didn't play, I didn't feel it was right to promote them based on not playing a game, but I didn't think it was fair to punish them either- hence, I moved Oxbridge to 3 as I felt they needed a big jump.

Catscratch,

Nobody's being hard on JaxTCA- least of all me. You don't win 3x state championships in a row, lose a close game to a really good Cocoa  team and then get thrown to the side of the road. JaxTCA is most likely still the class of 3A. Like I mentioned above, I really debated with my husband and brother about dropping them. Looking at JaxTCA's schedule there will be plenty of time to jump back to #1; however, I'm pretty solid with my rankings going into week 2. 

In essence, I don't have a vote and my poll is purely personal opinion; however, I'm curious how the state votes this week. I've spoken to some pollsters who refuse to drop JaxTCA, others are dropping them to #2.  

I was at the Oxbridge/Flanagan game. Oxbridge did indeed win that game fair and square.  The game was lightning shortened with about a minute to go and Oxbridge had the ball on the Flanagan 1 yard line (the game was over).  In fact Flanagan, their coaches lined up and even the PA announcer verbally congratulated Oxbridge on a good game and wished them luck the rest of the season.  

No one has to believe it but Flanagan did lose 30+ Seniors last year- that is a fact.

Feel free to count them:   http://www.hudl.com/team/v2/6834/flanagan-high-school-boys-varsity-football/team

Select 2015-2016 from the drop down menu.

The other media poll that Oxbridge Academy is not really ranked in is the Palm Beach Post who has Oxbridge Academy at #8 in Palm Beach County. 

I hear you 100% Jessica.  I think what I stated came of the wrong way to you as well.  I did notice before I replied that you stated "The talk after the win" and I understand that is the feelings of some but not necessarily your thoughts - you were just mentioning it and you are absolutely correct.   I did not intend for it to be directed towards you.  I know you used the "30+" players as an example and I just included the link in this string so if anybody were questioning that was exaggerated that they could see for themselves.   The game was almost a no win situation for either team unfortunately, but in reality it was a very interesting match and I think both teams did each other a favor for the rest of the season by meeting in week 1.  For whatever reason I have always been fans of teams that face adversity have had bad beats the previous season in the playoffs, or severe injuries late season that devastated a team resulting in season ending sooner than it should have.  Oxbridge Academy had all 3 of those factors in the last year and that is why I route for and try to go to bat for the Thunderwolves.

As far as your your rankings go, I think you are spot on and know 3A inside out overall better then anyone on here.

I will be driving up to the Carol City @ Oxbridge Academy game Thursday night and the game should be a toss up but I ask myself if Oxbridge will feel a little full in the belly after a strong road win at Flanagan and be a little off guard versus what has to be a very hungry Carol City team looking for their first win.  Carol City is also a team that really needs to get their offense going so they may have a big push in that aspect of the game.  I think we are looking at a game within a TD either way. * On a side note Oxbridge Academy supposedly has one of the best food stands around.  I will report back how that went also!

Great post as always Jessica. 

Just want to say Flanagan is going through some turmoil and will be lucky to break .500 this season, and Cocoa's defense is much improved with the transfers that came in. 4 hard running backs sharing the position this season is going to make it hard to stop Cocoa's clock eating game of pound and grind it out. Don't be to hard on TCA just yet.

Flanagan could realistically go .500 this season.. Considering they are 0-1 to start versus Oxbridge Academy and they still have Miramar, Chaminade-Madonna, STA and even what many are saying a potentially strong Western team that could be 3-4 more losses right there.

Agree with this as well and for the most part....If they want to,   Cocoa will do that ground and pound to almost everybody they play.  It will be interesting to see how they respond though if they get down 2 TDs+  and they have trouble defensively stopping a team like Bishop Gorman.  Is Judson and the Cocoa offense prepared to start airing it out?  Odds are they probably going to be put in that situation this weekend so we'll see how they respond.

Flanagan could realistically go .500 this season.. Considering they are 0-1 to start versus Oxbridge Academy and they still have Miramar, Chaminade-Madonna, STA and even what many are saying a potentially strong Western team that could be 3-4 more losses right there.

Agree with this as well and for the most part....If they want to,   Cocoa will do that ground and pound to almost everybody they play.  It will be interesting to see how they respond though if they get down 2 TDs+  and they have trouble defensively stopping a team like Bishop Gorman.  Is Judson and the Cocoa offense prepared to start airing it out?  Odds are they probably going to be put in that situation this weekend so we'll see how they respond.

I was on the wagon Oxbridge last year until three of the wheels fell of. I feel like they could push their way through the south bracket right to the Championship game with Trinity Jax this year. AH DelRay seems to have lost something in the last 2 seasons. It will never be a cake walk in 3A south but they have the ponies. Same for Trinity, they will have some good competition in the north from teams like CCC.

Cocoa vs The Bishop. Judson had a good game against a highly ranked defense. He put up 175 or so in the air and then another 85 on the ground. Bishop Gorman's being quoted as having the #1 defense in the nation. We will just have to wait and see what Cocoa can do with their ground game before Wilks will ask Judson to start throwing. There is potential for some passing with a few added transfers that can catch the ball as seen last week against Trinity.

I'm not fool enough to believe Cocoa will take a lead and hold and push Bishop around like they did Trinity when they will be flying 2300 miles to play one of the best teams in America in the desert. I'm just hoping for another good game where the boys can come home and still feel respected. Who would have thought they were going to beat the highly publicized Trinity team last week? 

Cocoa's job is to play the best game they can and maybe they make it a great game. Hey, to be the best, you have to play the best.

I know at least one South Florida team that will be cheering for Cocoa...  

I hear you 100% Jessica.  I think what I stated came of the wrong way to you as well.  I did notice before I replied that you stated "The talk after the win" and I understand that is the feelings of some but not necessarily your thoughts - you were just mentioning it and you are absolutely correct.   I did not intend for it to be directed towards you.  I know you used the "30+" players as an example and I just included the link in this string so if anybody were questioning that was exaggerated that they could see for themselves.   The game was almost a no win situation for either team unfortunately, but in reality it was a very interesting match and I think both teams did each other a favor for the rest of the season by meeting in week 1.  For whatever reason I have always been fans of teams that face adversity have had bad beats the previous season in the playoffs, or severe injuries late season that devastated a team resulting in season ending sooner than it should have.  Oxbridge Academy had all 3 of those factors in the last year and that is why I route for and try to go to bat for the Thunderwolves.

As far as your your rankings go, I think you are spot on and know 3A inside out overall better then anyone on here.

I will be driving up to the Carol City @ Oxbridge Academy game Thursday night and the game should be a toss up but I ask myself if Oxbridge will feel a little full in the belly after a strong road win at Flanagan and be a little off guard versus what has to be a very hungry Carol City team looking for their first win.  Carol City is also a team that really needs to get their offense going so they may have a big push in that aspect of the game.  I think we are looking at a game within a TD either way. * On a side note Oxbridge Academy supposedly has one of the best food stands around.  I will report back how that went also!

Broward, 

Ohh! You're going to the game? I'm jealous- looking forward to your thoughts on that one. It's very much my "game of the week" with Jesuit/Ocala Trinity being a close 2nd.

I was on the wagon Oxbridge last year until three of the wheels fell of. I feel like they could push their way through the south bracket right to the Championship game with Trinity Jax this year. AH DelRay seems to have lost something in the last 2 seasons. It will never be a cake walk in 3A south but they have the ponies. Same for Trinity, they will have some good competition in the north from teams like CCC.

Cocoa vs The Bishop. Judson had a good game against a highly ranked defense. He put up 175 or so in the air and then another 85 on the ground. Bishop Gorman's being quoted as having the #1 defense in the nation. We will just have to wait and see what Cocoa can do with their ground game before Wilks will ask Judson to start throwing. There is potential for some passing with a few added transfers that can catch the ball as seen last week against Trinity.

I'm not fool enough to believe Cocoa will take a lead and hold and push Bishop around like they did Trinity when they will be flying 2300 miles to play one of the best teams in America in the desert. I'm just hoping for another good game where the boys can come home and still feel respected. Who would have thought they were going to beat the highly publicized Trinity team last week?

Cocoa's job is to play the best game they can and maybe they make it a great game. Hey, to be the best, you have to play the best.

I know at least one South Florida team that will be cheering for Cocoa...

We all are...

Jessica - great insights as always... I totally understand the drop of TCJax to #2 in your poll after the loss to Cocoa.  TCJax is still a work in progress as some very key components from last years squad were lost to graduation and transfer.  This includes a QB who was the 3A player of the year and 3 offensive linemen that could control the line of scrimmage in most games. However, after seeing TCJax in an officials scrimmage, a preseason classic and a tough loss against what some have called "the best team in Cocoa's history", I really feel that TCJax will be a totally different team by the end of the season and will give any team in 3A all they can handle. Thanks - looking forward to an exciting year in 3A ! 

Jessica - great insights as always... I totally understand the drop of TCJax to #2 in your poll after the loss to Cocoa.  TCJax is still a work in progress as some very key components from last years squad were lost to graduation and transfer.  This includes a QB who was the 3A player of the year and 3 offensive linemen that could control the line of scrimmage in most games. However, after seeing TCJax in an officials scrimmage, a preseason classic and a tough loss against what some have called "the best team in Cocoa's history", I really feel that TCJax will be a totally different team by the end of the season and will give any team in 3A all they can handle. Thanks - looking forward to an exciting year in 3A ! 

welcome to the board, nice to have someone from TCA join up, how rest of duval looking?

TCman! You're here to- oh, I would hug everyone right now.  For those unaware, TCman is a highly respected poster from Floridakids and a great source of knowledge on Jacksonville Prep Sports. 

I agree 110% with you btw- I truly feel that JaxTCA is still the team to beat in 3A until a 3A team beats them. It's been discussed in other posts on this site- but, as a general refresher- I, and most posters do not feel JaxTCA will really be challenged by a 3A team until the 3rd round of the playoffs. Tampa Catholic and Ocala Trinity Catholic are the favorite to reach the final 4 in the North this year. I'm personally giving the nod to Tampa Catholic due to the Devan Barrett factor, but OTC has come a long way since last years team.  

I really, really, really debated dropping JaxTCA. I've had a chance to also speak with some AP Pollsters who flat out refused to drop them, others dropped them a single spot. Rankings are fun to talk about as fans, but going into week 2- really mean squat. The good stuff, as we know, is week 7 and/or 8 after everyone has played in a big game or two.  

Again, great to see you over here! 

TCman! You're here to- oh, I would hug everyone right now.  For those unaware, TCman is a highly respected poster from Floridakids and a great source of knowledge on Jacksonville Prep Sports. 

I agree 110% with you btw- I truly feel that JaxTCA is still the team to beat in 3A until a 3A team beats them. It's been discussed in other posts on this site- but, as a general refresher- I, and most posters do not feel JaxTCA will really be challenged by a 3A team until the 3rd round of the playoffs. Tampa Catholic and Ocala Trinity Catholic are the favorite to reach the final 4 in the North this year. I'm personally giving the nod to Tampa Catholic due to the Devan Barrett factor, but OTC has come a long way since last years team.  

I really, really, really debated dropping JaxTCA. I've had a chance to also speak with some AP Pollsters who flat out refused to drop them, others dropped them a single spot. Rankings are fun to talk about as fans, but going into week 2- really mean squat. The good stuff, as we know, is week 7 and/or 8 after everyone has played in a big game or two.  

Again, great to see you over here! 

i just have the gut feeling someone knocks them off this year as i said in bold predictions i had TCA,BTW, and Central all having their 4 or 5 peat runs end in a wild playoff upset run but it not the fact i dont think they can win but more of it just seems to be a year that has potential for huge shakeups and surprises, but the biggest question is if and when

i just have the gut feeling someone knocks them off this year as i said in bold predictions i had TCA,BTW, and Central all having their 4 or 5 peat runs end in a wild playoff upset run but it not the fact i dont think they can win but more of it just seems to be a year that has potential for huge shakeups and surprises, but the biggest question is if and when

Columbia,

I can't speak for the other classes; however, I honestly see 3 teams capable of hanging with JaxTCA in 3A this year.  In no order, Oxbridge, Chaminade and CCC.  All 3 teams play in the South. I've already mentioned the gauntlet that Chaminade faces starting week 10. Oxbridge and Chaminade will most likely play in round 2 with the winner traveling to Clearwater in round 3.

All 3 teams feature top players not only in Florida but America, all 3 teams feature really strong coaching and all 3 teams have deep, Division-1 talent filled rosters. I think between the 3 teams there's over 60 players with at least 1 Division 1 offer. That's why when I read about "whose the best team in the South of 3A" it's the wrong question to ask, because when that question is asked, it's implied that all teams are 100% healthy, the game is being played on a neutral field and everything is peachy.

The truth is, you have to take into account wear and tear, injury, off field issues, where the game is played and time of year the game is played. From a talent perspective, Chaminade is the most talented, but they have, by far, the toughest road to Orlando as they scheduled IMG for week 11 before playing American Heritage/Oxbridge.  

Oxbridge has a extremely talented offensive and defensive line, but their offense is a work in progress and we have to see how they handle losing their top CB starting week 4. Oxbridge has the toughest schedule over the entire season, as they play some slobber knockers. Their road to the finals is tough, but might of gotten a touch easier if American Heritage Delray is down this year. All indications are that they are.

CCC is a mix of both Oxbridge and Chaminade. but with more playoff experience than either Oxbridge or Chaminade. They also have the luxury of playing Oxbridge or Chaminade at home in the state-semi's as this year since Region 3 hosts. Their schedule is, by far, the most lax of the 3- but it still features Tampa Catholic and Ocala Trinity. They also returned over 90% of their roster from their 12-1 season last year, including superstar CJ Cotman, all 4 Newton brothers, Rashaad Stewart and have an amazingly talented linebacker duo in Deandre Fitz-Henley and Tyler McDonald.  Amari Burney, their star Jr, was just ranked the #1 athlete in Florida for 2018 by Scout. As talented and experienced as the Marauders are, time is not on their side. CCC has a history of major injuries at key times. Heck, their week 1 game against Berkeley Prep saw 3/4th's of the defensive line and their starting and backup safety out and that was BEFORE the game started in week 1! 

So, to answer your question- I think Chaminade has the tools to beat JaxTCA but not the experience. Oxbridge has the manpower to beat JaxTCA, but needs fix some parts on offense. CCC has the team to beat JaxTCA, but needs a lot of luck in the health department and probably a few doctors. 

Columbia,

I can't speak for the other classes; however, I honestly see 3 teams capable of hanging with JaxTCA in 3A this year. In no order, Oxbridge, Chaminade and CCC. All 3 teams play in the South. I've already mentioned the gauntlet that Chaminade faces starting week 10. Oxbridge and Chaminade will most likely play in round 2 with the winner traveling to Clearwater in round 3.

All 3 teams feature top players not only in Florida but America, all 3 teams feature really strong coaching and all 3 teams have deep, Division-1 talent filled rosters. I think between the 3 teams there's over 60 players with at least 1 Division 1 offer. That's why when I read about "whose the best team in the South of 3A" it's the wrong question to ask, because when that question is asked, it's implied that all teams are 100% healthy, the game is being played on a neutral field and everything is peachy.

The truth is, you have to take into account wear and tear, injury, off field issues, where the game is played and time of year the game is played. From a talent perspective, Chaminade is the most talented, but they have, by far, the toughest road to Orlando as they scheduled IMG for week 11 before playing American Heritage/Oxbridge.

Oxbridge has a extremely talented offensive and defensive line, but their offense is a work in progress and we have to see how they handle losing their top CB starting week 4. Oxbridge has the toughest schedule over the entire season, as they play some slobber knockers. Their road to the finals is tough, but might of gotten a touch easier if American Heritage Delray is down this year. All indications are that they are.

CCC is a mix of both Oxbridge and Chaminade. but with more playoff experience than either Oxbridge or Chaminade. They also have the luxury of playing Oxbridge or Chaminade at home in the state-semi's as this year since Region 3 hosts. Their schedule is, by far, the most lax of the 3- but it still features Tampa Catholic and Ocala Trinity. They also returned over 90% of their roster from their 12-1 season last year, including superstar CJ Cotman, all 4 Newton brothers, Rashaad Stewart and have an amazingly talented linebacker duo in Deandre Fitz-Henley and Tyler McDonald. Amari Burney, their star Jr, was just ranked the #1 athlete in Florida for 2018 by Scout. As talented and experienced as the Marauders are, time is not on their side. CCC has a history of major injuries at key times. Heck, their week 1 game against Berkeley Prep saw 3/4th's of the defensive line and their starting and backup safety out and that was BEFORE the game started in week 1!

So, to answer your question- I think Chaminade has the tools to beat JaxTCA but not the experience. Oxbridge has the manpower to beat JaxTCA, but needs fix some parts on offense. CCC has the team to beat JaxTCA, but needs a lot of luck in the health department and probably a few doctors.

I understand that but not always will the team that supposed to win will win, if TCA has a off night and a team like say Ocala trinity has the night of their lives they have a shot, I wouldn't bet money on it but not impossible

Jessica, great insight.

TCA still the team to beat, but facing skilled and talented potential spoilers up north.  Will watch for whoever's on a hot roll and healthy at playoff time.

Down south I feel a need to see if CM has team chemistry to match the talent, plus the new coach, ...  and agree the jury's out on Oxbridge offense overall, plus questionable depth.   Not familiar with CCC.   3A may be a real dogfight this year, 'specially early playoff games.

Off 3A topic,  8A Palm beach lakes could be the newbies to catch down south, lotta athletes and high morale. 

Mbhs69,

Welcome aboard, and thanks! Love talking small school football and with the help of my brother and husband am starting to dabble in higher classification football. 

On a side note, since a lot of websites are not going to be publishing updated class specific rankings outside of the AP Poll until midseason, I'll try to keep my weekly 3A rankings out before the AP Poll and compare and contrast a bit. It makes for good message board talk:)  I think the AP Poll will be out today around 5 or 6pm. 

So, the AP Poll was released. Here it is:

CLASS 3A
1. Jacksonville Trinity Christian (10), 0-1, 142, 1
2. Clearwater Central Catholic (4), 1-0, 134, 3
3. Tampa Catholic, 0-0, 90, 4
4. Oxbridge Academy (1), 1-0, 76, NR
5. Chaminade-Madonna, 0-0, 60, 5

Others receiving votes: Lakeland Christian 52, Delray American Heritage 46
---------
I have no problem with JaxTCA remaining at #1. As I mentioned yesterday and earlier today- I spoke with some AP Pollsters, a few said they would drop JaxTCA, most said they'd give them the benefit of the doubt. CCC comes in at #2, which is the lowest they should be ranked right now (If you put JaxTCA at 1).  I disagree with Tampa Catholic being at #3, I think Oxbridge should be at #3 and Tampa Catholic should be at #4. Oxbridge has a quality win over a good Flanagan team whereas Tampa Catholic didn't play.  Chaminade rounds out the top 5 at #5- which is because they haven't played an official game yet either. 

In the ORV section: LCS comes and American Heritage Delray.  I'm okay with AHD receiving votes, I don't think anybody should go from #2 to out of the poll completely; however, that was a bad loss to Naples. Lakeland Christian is a solid program and has a good team; however, I do feel that Berkeley Prep will edge them for a playoff spot. Berkeley Prep is a very solid team this year with an offensive line that averages 270+ at 6'2 and a very strong QB in Tampa Bay Bucs head coaches son, Davis Koetter. 

When you look at the vote count itself, JaxTCA and CCC are neck and neck at 1 and 2 as only 8 total votes separate them, but then there's a healthy drop from 134 for CCC at 2 to 90 for Tampa Catholic at 3. When we turn our attention to 1st place votes we have JaxTCA with a strong showing at 10 votes, CCC with 4 and Oxbridge rounding out the top at 1.  

Overall, comparing my top 5 with the AP Poll's top 5 has the same teams, just in a slightly different order.  The reality is- this is good message board talk, but some of the teams on the list have yet to play a regular season game (Chaminade and Tampa Catholic).  

Broward, 

Ohh! You're going to the game? I'm jealous- looking forward to your thoughts on that one. It's very much my "game of the week" with Jesuit/Ocala Trinity being a close 2nd.

I will definitely be there Thursday night!   My thoughts on that game are you have a team that may be coming off their biggest road ( or even overall) win in team history coming home on a slightly short week ( They played Friday). Will the ThunderWolves be a little flat or full in the belly off of that win?   Then you have Carol City coming in (played Thu = full week)  hungry and looking for their 1st win to what many are calling a very rough start offensively for the Chiefs.  Carol City played Oxbridge last year and the ThunderWolves put up enough of a fight to definitely earn the respect of Carol City.  Outside of the RB position at Oxbridge Academy and the QB position at Carol City, both teams seem to be up from last year.  Both Defenses appear very good and I will need to think a bit  to pick the winner. For now I am calling it within a 7pt game either way.  Regarding the potential rainy weather for this game.... I think they will get it in.  The Oxbridge Academy field drains very well and is probably one of the best HS fields in the state.  The synthetic turf material is the same that the Buffalo Bills are currently using.  Overall a beautiful stadium:

Last year's gave versus Carol City:

090315_Miami_Carol_City_vs_Oxbridge_Acad