Virginia team wins 112-16

nolebull813

Why do people always assume the winning team ran up the score? And if you lose 112-16 isn’t that proof you don’t have any business fielding a varsity team? They didn’t lose to some private school recruited up all star team. They lost to a common public school from the area. I don’t have a problem winning like this. It just shows the losing team they don’t belong playing football and that’s ok. Plenty of other extracurricular activities in high school to participate in 

https://wtop.com/prince-william-county/2022/10/freedom-woodbridge-coach-says-team-didnt-run-up-score-in-their-112-to-16-victory/

So my son and daughter go to a small K-8 and the sports is practically nonexistent. They offer 4 sports to the 5th-8th graders coed. I volunteered to coach track and flag football. 

Last year In Flag we were winning 28-0 in the first half and the AD came over to me and told me that’s enough points and to sub in the bench players. I was so distracted trying to get these kids in that it threw the whole flow off balance. We won that game 28-13 and I was pissed. 

We ended up losing in the finals to a team with mostly 8th graders and we didn’t have one. Meaning we have all 8th graders this year so we should stomp ass. 

The point of the story is when you “run the score up” it lets the players on the losing team come to a 2 way path.

1.  you can just give up and stop playing. You are so bad that it’s not in your future and you can use your time more wisely by doing something you are better at. 

2. you can bust ass and do everything in your power to get better and your team better and not allow anyone to embarrass you ever again 

I don't know if he was running up the score but I do know that you can keep the score from getting that large.  If the score gets above 50 I'm going to do what I can to not score, short of taking a knee (I will take a knee not to break 80 though).  If it's 60 to 0 and your 4th string RB running behind the JV OL scores from a dive play, then there's nothing you can do.  If you throw a bomb and score, well that's just not cool.  I get that you have to get the backups work in the passing game, but if you already know you have a crazy mismatch in talent (it commonly occurs in HS) then you come into the game with a plan to get them the proper work while it's not out of control.  I will certainly take a knee just to keep the score from exceeding 80 or 90 though, damn. I would even punt on first down at that point.  Show some damn mercy to those clearly overmatched kids.

Edit:  I read the article and a lot of those points piled on at the end of the game were defensive scores.  I hadn't considered that so I can see how some games can get away from you even if you're trying to keep the score down. 

1 hour ago, PinellasFB said:

I don't know if he was running up the score but I do know that you can keep the score from getting that large.  If the score gets above 50 I'm going to do what I can to not score, short of taking a knee (I will take a knee not to break 80 though).  If it's 60 to 0 and your 4th string RB running behind the JV OL scores from a dive play, then there's nothing you can do.  If you throw a bomb and score, well that's just not cool.  I get that you have to get the backups work in the passing game, but if you already know you have a crazy mismatch in talent (it commonly occurs in HS) then you come into the game with a plan to get them the proper work while it's not out of control.  I will certainly take a knee just to keep the score from exceeding 80 or 90 though, damn. I would even punt on first down at that point.  Show some damn mercy to those clearly overmatched kids.

Edit:  I read the article and a lot of those points piled on at the end of the game were defensive scores.  I hadn't considered that so I can see how some games can get away from you even if you're trying to keep the score down. 

I don’t agree with some of that. Punting on first down and kneeing the ball has got to be more humiliating. That’s a true embarrassment. Now you are treating them like they are handicapped. That would be like in basketball you are winning big and the losing team misses the shot and you rebound it and hand it to them to keep letting them shoot till they make it. Lmao! These people are not 3 years old. If you have to punt the ball on first down then it’s obvious they shouldn’t be playing varsity football 

28 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

I don’t agree with some of that. Punting on first down and kneeing the ball has got to be more humiliating. That’s a true embarrassment. Now you are treating them like they are handicapped. That would be like in basketball you are winning big and the losing team misses the shot and you rebound it and hand it to them to keep letting them shoot till they make it. Lmao! These people are not 3 years old. If you have to punt the ball on first down then it’s obvious they shouldn’t be playing varsity football 

Fair enough, you make good points.

Good coaches can find ways to show respect to an overwhelmed opponent without the opponent really knowing that the foot has been taken off the pedal.    And while I agree that punting on first down isn't the way to accomplish that goal, there are other things a team can do:  substitute  bench players earlier in the game (and not necessarily all en masse, but eventually no starters should be playing), let players play positions that they don't normally play (letting a DL or LB get a carry or two or throw a pass or two can make things fun and putting skill guys down in the trenches will give them a new-found respect for the big boys who normally handle those chores), letting the play clock run down every play, running the ball the majority of the time (but on pass plays, trying to keep the ball in bounds -- seriously, this can be a learning lesson for players for those times that you truly do want to keep the clock moving).  Anything that doesn't sacrifice the safety of his team should be considered.  Again, good coaches can find a way to keep the game legitimate without embarrassing the opposition. 

10 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Why do people always assume the winning team ran up the score? And if you lose 112-16 isn’t that proof you don’t have any business fielding a varsity team? They didn’t lose to some private school recruited up all star team. They lost to a common public school from the area. I don’t have a problem winning like this. It just shows the losing team they don’t belong playing football and that’s ok. Plenty of other extracurricular activities in high school to participate in 

https://wtop.com/prince-william-county/2022/10/freedom-woodbridge-coach-says-team-didnt-run-up-score-in-their-112-to-16-victory/

Have you seen their other scores this season? And they didn't even make it to the finals last season. They came out with a vengeance this season

If you were the coach of a relay track team, and by the 2nd leg your team was smoking the competition, as the coach would you be running on the sidelines screaming at your team to slow down!!! You are winning by too many lengths!!! Slow down!!! 

Doesn’t make any sense. I personally wouldn’t have my starters in once we were up by alot only for health reasons. I wouldn’t want my starters getting hurt or the other team intentionally injuring them because they are getting embarrassed. But I wouldn’t coach my kids to not play hard and do bad on purpose. 

like I said. If my 3rd stringers are scoring, then you are way out of your element and varsity football isn’t for you. It’s time to play junior varsity or 8 man.