Newberry VS Lake Butler

Tigerfan1

I just saw that. Newberry is definitely improved after watching them in person. There will be lots of big time D1 talent on the field for a 1A game with 3 players currently committed to FSU.  I wouldn't be shocked if Newberry won. I think Newberry will control the trenches, but Union can move he ball through the air and has a real playmaker with #7. It should be a good game.

Football God:  Its should be a good one! Union let 1 get away from them last year against Fort White leading by 2 possessions with less than 2 minutes in the game and finding a way to lose. I haven't watch Fort White this year, but they got a nice win against Suwanee.  UC had their way with Hamilton Co and last week got canceled, so the verdict it still out on the Tigers. I'll know more after this Friday. I'm gonna make it to the CHS game Thursday night to see the big boy Tigers play, I'm pretty excited. 

I just saw that. Newberry is definitely improved after watching them in person. There will be lots of big time D1 talent on the field for a 1A game with 3 players currently committed to FSU.  I wouldn't be shocked if Newberry won. I think Newberry will control the trenches, but Union can move he ball through the air and has a real playmaker with #7. It should be a good game.

Football God:  Its should be a good one! Union let 1 get away from them last year against Fort White leading by 2 possessions with less than 2 minutes in the game and finding a way to lose. I haven't watch Fort White this year, but they got a nice win against Suwanee.  UC had their way with Hamilton Co and last week got canceled, so the verdict it still out on the Tigers. I'll know more after this Friday. I'm gonna make it to the CHS game Thursday night to see the big boy Tigers play, I'm pretty excited. 

you gonna sit on columbia side or buchholz side?

Ok folks, it's time to reminisce about the 2007 Newberry Panthers. 

This small public school from the very small town of Newberry went undefeated through the season and the playoffs. They were nationally ranked. They defeated both my Trinity Catholic Celtics and the Trinity Christian Crusaders enroute. They met big bad highly regarded Pahokee in the championship game. Although they played their hearts out they inevitably lost to one of the most powerful teams in Florida at that time. This was a team that had players from Newberry. They didn't import a bunch of D-1 talent from other areas. They had a really good coach called Tommy Keeler. They had one of the best RB's in Florida Antwan Ivy (nicknamed Kilo) who rushed for 2,400 yds and 31 TD's. He reminded me of Union County's CJ Spiller as he was outmaneuvering every tackler on the opposing defense. With all due respect "Kelo" died of heart failure on the Florida A&M campus at the age of 24.

Newberry has not been as dominate since. However, it does tell something when the Panthers defeated a very tough 4A team Sante Fe in their first game 22-6 this season. Possibly visions of 2007 are dancing in their heads. If so, watch out.  

Ok folks, it's time to reminisce about the 2007 Newberry Panthers. 

This small public school from the very small town of Newberry went undefeated through the season and the playoffs. They were nationally ranked. They defeated both my Trinity Catholic Celtics and the Trinity Christian Crusaders enroute. They met big bad highly regarded Pahokee in the championship game. Although they played their hearts out they inevitably lost to one of the most powerful teams in Florida at that time. This was a team that had players from Newberry. They didn't import a bunch of D-1 talent from other areas. They had a really good coach called Tommy Keeler. They had one of the best RB's in Florida Antwan Ivy (nicknamed Kilo) who rushed for 2,400 yds and 31 TD's. He reminded me of Union County's CJ Spiller as he was outmaneuvering every tackler on the opposing defense. With all due respect "Kelo" died of heart failure on the Florida A&M campus at the age of 24.

Newberry has not been as dominate since. However, it does tell something when the Panthers defeated a very tough 4A team Sante Fe in their first game 22-6 this season. Possibly visions of 2007 are dancing in their heads. If so, watch out.  

But the story behind the story Proset is that the 2007 Newberry team that you say was so good, there starting QB and best wide out where Trenton boys that transferred to Newberry. Just so you know :)  :)  :)  

But the story behind the story Proset is that the 2007 Newberry team that you say was so good, there starting QB and best wide out where Trenton boys that transferred to Newberry. Just so you know :)  :)  :)  

That may be true, Tigerfan, but Newberry maybe threw 3 passes per game. Some games they didn't throw a pass due to their explosive ground game. Their QB was pretty darn good, though. Manged that offense perfectly. 

Those 07 Panthers were dominant, very impressive team that unfortunately had to play against a freight train from The Muck.  

Union (as well as a few other schools in the area) has had Newberry's number in recent years. With that being said, it's about time for Newberry to take a step back up into the conversation of one of the better 1A teams.  Time will tell if they can do that sooner rather later.  Watching Newberry this year, they have the players to be a real force in 1A.  Part of me believes that Newberry will dominate the LOS against UCH and control the game.  Newberry does have a nice win over Santa Fe and that is better than anything Union has done thus far.  UCH has to get the ball in the hands of their play making WR (I'd like to see him get around 15 touches) whether it be in the return game or on offense. I've only watched him in 2 games but the kid has been lightening in a bottle. 

Newberry is always riding high at this point because they always beat Santa Fe. This is usually when they are brought back down to earth. Talent has never been the question in Newberry it has been coaching. We'll see if they can reach their potential this year. All that being said I still think UC has their number.

Union Co 26

Newberry 19

Newberry is always riding high at this point because they always beat Santa Fe. This is usually when they are brought back down to earth. Talent has never been the question in Newberry it has been coaching. We'll see if they can reach their potential this year. All that being said I still think UC has their number.

Union Co 26

Newberry 19

Captain, I still think that it's quite an accomplishment, whether routine or not. to defeat a 4A team that went to the 2nd round of the playoffs. Sante Fe is not the same team they were 5 years or so ago. First Tommy Keeler and now Bill Wiles took that team from a perennial loser to a solid playoff team. I have watched them on occasions and they are a very disciplined and skilled team. For Newberry to beat them by a pretty good score shows that Newberry is quite a 1A team.   

Santa Fe isn't very good. They are a 5A team that petitioned to move down to 4A into the weakest district maybe in the state. They made the 4A semi finals last year and Newberry beat them by 2 scores last year. After that they proceeded to get blown out by Union, Dixie and obliterated by Trenton. By the way last year was the first district title for Santa Fe in like 20 years.

This is still a pretty big measuring stick for Union County due to the "Michigan type" schedule they play.  This will probably be their 2nd toughest task of they year with Fort White being the toughest.  This is as soft a schedule that I have ever known Union County (Or anyone else relevant in the area) to have. No disrespect to ANY of the teams on the Tigers' schedule, but when Fort White and Newberry are the 2 toughest teams on your schedule, you have an incredibly weak schedule. Especially for a solid program like Union County.   So Friday night against Newberry could go a long way in telling us how good UCH is or isn't.  

I know the Twin Towers have gotten better, but last year UCH wore them down quick with all of the quick passing to the flats and down field.  They didn't have time to get to the QB because of all of the bubbles/slants, they were gassed early in the game.  I think the Tigers will try to do the same thing tomorrow night in order to counteract the advantage that the Panthers have up front. 

That's a good point, and that's what Union will have to do to win. What will be key for Newberry is winning a couple of defensive series early and sustaining long hard drives by running the ball. If they can maintain the advantage in time of possession and keep the ball out of Union's hands they should get the job done. It should be a good one either way!

Santa Fe isn't very good. They are a 5A team that petitioned to move down to 4A into the weakest district maybe in the state. They made the 4A semi finals last year and Newberry beat them by 2 scores last year. After that they proceeded to get blown out by Union, Dixie and obliterated by Trenton. By the way last year was the first district title for Santa Fe in like 20 years.

To tell you the truth, my friend, I haven't the faintest what Sante Fe you are referring to. Last season they defeated Eastside, Chiles, South Sumter, Dunnellon, and lost a nail biter to Buchholz. They lost a fairly competitive playoff game to Raines a team that played in the championship game. I think that's a pretty good team. And, yes, I do agree that their district is a joke. However, they don't pick the teams in their district the FHSAA does. They also destroyed every team in their district no matter whether they were not world beater teams or not. As such, Newberry defeating them is an accomplishment.  B)

I guess what I'm trying to say Proset is that 4A was very weak last year. You take Raines and Bolles out of the North and you don't have much as far as elite teams. Santa Fe, Dunnellon and S Sumter were all good teams but nothing that scares you. You take away their wins vs each other and the best win out of all of those teams is Santa Fe vs a 6-5 Chiles team. As for Newberry they have the pieces to be good we'll see if it translates on the field.

Most of the teams currently in 1A used to be in 2A or 2B which is equivalent to 3A today. They played teams like CCC, TCA, OTC, and Tampa Catholic routinely. And many teams in 3A hold their own against teams in 4A through 8A classifications. These 1A teams haven't dropped in quality just because they moved down to the lowest classification. So, I guess Newberry, which has always been a quality team,  defeating 4A Sante Fe 22-6 is not a big deal. In fact, it seems that Newberry has more problems with other 1A teams than they do with higher classification teams. I am still wondering when Newberry will have another breakout year, like in 2007, and be able to defeat Trenton and Port St Jo on their way to another championship.