Link to tonight's game Trinity Catholic @ Wakulla - 7 PM

Proseteye

Wakulla 33  Trinity Catholic 19. What in the world was our defense doing in the first half. Looked like they were just standing around. They certainly were not paying attention. This Celtic team has very good athletes and they should be doing better against a team like Wakulla, who I don't think looked that good themselves. And why in the world are we going for it on 4th down and 10 on our own 45 yard line? I don't like saying anything derogatory about my team or any of their players. But, they have to play more disciplined and inspired ball to defeat good teams.  :(

I watched the game with the link you posted proset and it just liked like OTC didn't want to even be their the first 12 plus minutes of the game, they made a nice little run right their in the 2nd quarter before half and took momentum into the locker room, meanwhile the 2nd half started a lot like the 1st just lazy standing around missing tackles, they made some mistakes that are very correctable though and they will get it figured out

I wouldn't be too hard on the Trinity kids and staff.  Trinity seemed very much improved from last season.  In spite of the youth and inexperience, that is a very talented Wakulla team.  They lost double digit starters from last season beginning with QB Felipe Franks(UF) and WR/DB Keith Gavin(FSU), as well as a number of other big contributors including 4 Sr. starters on the oline.  I thought the both teams played extremely hard, but the difference in athletes and footspeed was very evident from the first snap,   Wakulla jumped out to a 26-0 lead and was never really threatened   This was done missing 4 starters, including starting QB Derek Allen who was lost midway thru the 1st qtr.  Backup QB Chris Beverly did a great job replacing Allen, expecially considering he was taking his first snaps ever at QB.  After having Franks and Gavin as 3 and 4yr starters respectively, this Wakulla team is only beginning to find themselves offensively.   There will be growing pains as witnessed by the loss to a solid Madison club last week.  If Wakulla can stay healthy, they have a shot to be much better by the end of the season.  Should be a tough 3 way battle with District foes Godby and Rickards.

I watched the game with the link you posted proset and it just liked like OTC didn't want to even be their the first 12 plus minutes of the game, they made a nice little run right their in the 2nd quarter before half and took momentum into the locker room, meanwhile the 2nd half started a lot like the 1st just lazy standing around missing tackles, they made some mistakes that are very correctable though and they will get it figured out

You know, James, the Celtics for years used to be able to beat any team not named STA. We routinely took on some of the best in 4A through 8A and usually defeated them or gave them one hell of a game. We used to own 3A along with Pahokee. I never saw a Celtic team that was "lethargic" to put it mildly. We had a defense that could stop a Peterbuilt and an offense that could incur running clocks. At present we have a minimum of 7 or possibly 9 D-1 players. You could have fooled me along with the other folks that were in that stadium. Wakulla is a fairly decent team. Not great, just decent. They lost their starting QB before the first quarter ended. Yet, they were able to put 33 on the board. I saw their big RB gallop untouched to the end zone and our guys give up before he was halfway there. So many times we "allowed" pass receptions, by playing too far off the receivers. literally giving them free yardage to rome in. I am hoping that they get their act together as we have South Sumter coming to town next Friday. 

Proset,

Trinity is much improved from last season as Ysidro mentioned. I agree with you- the talent is there, but the "it" factor is missing right now.

That "it" factor, Jessica, is a "not doing it" factor. Somebody has to start kicking behinds in Ocala. They don't give out trophies for participation.  :rolleyes:

I think there is a dramatic difference between athletes the Celtic's put on the field today as opposed to the glory years of competing with STA.  If you think otherwise you are fooling yourself. .  We won't know until signing day, but I would be absolutely floored if Trinity had 9 D1 players.  Now..  American Heritage has 9 D1 players.  There is not anywhere near that kind of talent on the Trinity team.  Also.. Even if there were D1 talent on the roster, a common mistake fans make in HS football is equating D1 ability with performance.     D1 prospect in many cases simply means potential.   Wakulla has perhaps 2 D1 Sr's, however, they have probably 6-7 kids that are great HS player's who lack the size D1 schools want to be considered real prospects.  That doesn't tell you the player's they are or the impact they can have on the game at the HS level.   There are some dominant HS players that will never see the field in college.  It's been my experience that more often than not, those are the kids who win you games in HS.

In watching the video on Lake Weir vs Trinity, the Wakulla game went just about how I thought it would.  Trinity was solid.  They are well coached and they play hard, but Lake Weir was hardly a test.   In no way am I saying this is a great Wakulla team, however, they are better than you are giving credit.  If they played Trinity 10 times they would win 9.   You have watched a lot of HS football.  You had to see the dramatic difference in quickness between the two teams.  Football has evolved.  The running game from the spread formation has changed the emphasis on defense from size to speed. With the size of Trinity's dline, I suspect any team would have difficulty lining up in the I formation and running iso play's to the TB.  However, no one does that anymore.  Now you have to have kids that can run, even on the dline.  I don't think the Trinity kid's were standing around as much as really struggling to tackle in the open field.  I don't know about the rest of Trinity's schedule but I can tell you they are going to struggle against the teams with athletes that spread their defense.  On offense they have a great plan, but they just don't have explosive playmakers.  How many times in last nights game did a Trinity back or WR make someone miss in the open field? I can't remember any.   I do remember last season after Wakulla beat Trinity badly you remarked that Trinity had the athletes, but hadn't put it together.  I remember thinking then that your expectations far exceeded the talent on that team. I think this year Trinity has improved, but they are a far cry from the teams of a decade ago.  It's a disservice to the kids and coaches to blame losses on effort or not "kicking behinds".

I think there is a dramatic difference between athletes the Celtic's put on the field today as opposed to the glory years of competing with STA. If you think otherwise you are fooling yourself. . We won't know until signing day, but I would be absolutely floored if Trinity had 9 D1 players. Now.. American Heritage has 9 D1 players. There is not anywhere near that kind of talent on the Trinity team. Also.. Even if there were D1 talent on the roster, a common mistake fans make in HS football is equating D1 ability with performance. D1 prospect in many cases simply means potential. Wakulla has perhaps 2 D1 Sr's, however, they have probably 6-7 kids that are great HS player's who lack the size D1 schools want to be considered real prospects. That doesn't tell you the player's they are or the impact they can have on the game at the HS level. There are some dominant HS players that will never see the field in college. It's been my experience that more often than not, those are the kids who win you games in HS.

In watching the video on Lake Weir vs Trinity, the Wakulla game went just about how I thought it would. Trinity was solid. They are well coached and they play hard, but Lake Weir was hardly a test. In no way am I saying this is a great Wakulla team, however, they are better than you are giving credit. If they played Trinity 10 times they would win 9. You have watched a lot of HS football. You had to see the dramatic difference in quickness between the two teams. Football has evolved. The running game from the spread formation has changed the emphasis on defense from size to speed. With the size of Trinity's dline, I suspect any team would have difficulty lining up in the I formation and running iso play's to the TB. However, no one does that anymore. Now you have to have kids that can run, even on the dline. I don't think the Trinity kid's were standing around as much as really struggling to tackle in the open field. I don't know about the rest of Trinity's schedule but I can tell you they are going to struggle against the teams with athletes that spread their defense. On offense they have a great plan, but they just don't have explosive playmakers. How many times in last nights game did a Trinity back or WR make someone miss in the open field? I can't remember any. I do remember last season after Wakulla beat Trinity badly you remarked that Trinity had the athletes, but hadn't put it together. I remember thinking then that your expectations far exceeded the talent on that team. I think this year Trinity has improved, but they are a far cry from the teams of a decade ago. It's a disservice to the kids and coaches to blame losses on effort or not "kicking behinds".

Welcome to the board

What team you rep?

Thanks for the welcome!  I used to coach at Wakulla.  These day's I'm just a fan.  Coach Klees put's in a lot of hard work and long hours and expects the same from his coaches.  As he says, If you are coaching football in Florida, you are doing it for love of the kids and game because it's definitely not the money!LOL!!   Right now it's more time than I want to spend away from my family.  You never know, I might get the itch again.  Coach Klees has a great program.  They work hard and do things the right way.  This is an "in between" season for them.  They are starting a bunch of young guys.  Very talented, but very young.