Why did Lehigh forfeit to Bishop Verot last Friday?

PinellasFB

38 minutes ago, PinellasFB said:

Naples-Ft Myers area was not impacted at all by the hurricane so why did Lehigh forfeit?  Anybody have the scoop?

Per the Internet:

Bishop Verot-Lehigh postponed

Friday's contest between the Vikings and Lightning has been postponed, per Bishop Verot athletic director Greg Coleman.

"Due to a medical issue, tonight's game against Lehigh has been postponed," Coleman told The News-Press.

Verot has requested Monday, Sept. 25 as a makeup for the game. Lehigh is off the week of Sept. 22, giving them a chance to play when it's convenient for both sides.

Lehigh football coach Antwan Dixon declined to comment but posted a message on his Facebook account. It in part read: "It was completely my decision. Due to health concerns within the area, there’s no way I could’ve let the kids on both teams possibly be affected. I made a promise to myself that I would do everything in the best interest of these kids and I will continue to do that. My kids wanted to play no matter what but as their leader, I will not do that to them. You guys can say we are scared of the opponent but safety is first for me and my staff. So don’t target the kids, target me. I MADE THIS DECISION TO NOT PLAY. The game will possibly get rescheduled. I wish everyone playing tonight the best of luck!"

The families of Lehigh students received an email from the school district explaining the cancellation of tonight's game. It read: "Out of an abundance of caution and for the health of the students involved, Lehigh Senior High School is canceling tonight’s football game against Bishop Verot to prevent the transmission of a skin infection spread through person to person contact. All athletic facilities will be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected over the holiday weekend so that normal team activities can continue next week. We thank our Lehigh family and Bishop Verot High School for their understanding."

23 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Per the Internet:

Bishop Verot-Lehigh postponed

Friday's contest between the Vikings and Lightning has been postponed, per Bishop Verot athletic director Greg Coleman.

"Due to a medical issue, tonight's game against Lehigh has been postponed," Coleman told The News-Press.

Verot has requested Monday, Sept. 25 as a makeup for the game. Lehigh is off the week of Sept. 22, giving them a chance to play when it's convenient for both sides.

Lehigh football coach Antwan Dixon declined to comment but posted a message on his Facebook account. It in part read: "It was completely my decision. Due to health concerns within the area, there’s no way I could’ve let the kids on both teams possibly be affected. I made a promise to myself that I would do everything in the best interest of these kids and I will continue to do that. My kids wanted to play no matter what but as their leader, I will not do that to them. You guys can say we are scared of the opponent but safety is first for me and my staff. So don’t target the kids, target me. I MADE THIS DECISION TO NOT PLAY. The game will possibly get rescheduled. I wish everyone playing tonight the best of luck!"

The families of Lehigh students received an email from the school district explaining the cancellation of tonight's game. It read: "Out of an abundance of caution and for the health of the students involved, Lehigh Senior High School is canceling tonight’s football game against Bishop Verot to prevent the transmission of a skin infection spread through person to person contact. All athletic facilities will be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected over the holiday weekend so that normal team activities can continue next week. We thank our Lehigh family and Bishop Verot High School for their understanding."

Oh man, that sounds like they had a MRSA outbreak.  That is bad, bad stuff.  Hope they get it under control.