CAI 35, Lakeland 34

Longtime Observer

The game winning play was a blocked FG returned for a TD when Lakeland led 34-29. It was a very easy blocked FG. Knights also had a pick-six. CAI deserved the win, no doubt. Lakeland was without 3* Carlos Mitchell, 3* D'marius Rucker, top big play WR Rick Penick, starting DE  Jack Proctor and backup RB Jordan Henderson. Too many key players out, playing before a flat crowd. The 27-10 lead Lakeland enjoyed in the 2nd quarter probably also led an immature group to let up. For those wondering, my fear that QB Evans Chuba would return didn't happen. So, this was the same CAI team that played all season prior...

20 minutes ago, Jullian said:

Loses don’t care who wasn’t playing. Loses don’t care how you lost. 
losses don’t care how much u lost by. 
Losses don’t care who you lost to. 
3 losses are now officially a final. 
There are no asterisks by 3 losses. 
(see Central), Lakeland……..

To sum it up, Lakeland is good, but not outstanding this year. 

24 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

To sum it up, Lakeland is good, but not outstanding this year. 

Correct. I do think that, at full strength and with the team at a high morale, they're probably the best in 4S. BUT, I think the losses have or will adversely affect morale. If things start to go badly, this group is more likely to cave. Very few of the key players have much experience with winning while playing a lot. Either they rode the bench last year, or they transferred from less than stellar programs. Had they experienced only winning thus far (even if against a soft schedule), morale would be high and they'd maximize their abilities. Now, there is a lot of second guessing and doubt setting in. You're much better off as a team having people say things like "that team you just blew out isn't any good!" then "you guys just lost again?!?"

2 minutes ago, Longtime Observer said:

Correct. I do think that, at full strength and with the team at a high morale, they're probably the best in 4S. BUT, I think the losses have or will adversely affect morale. If things start to go badly, this group is more likely to cave. Very few of the key players have much experience with winning while playing a lot. Either they rode the bench last year, or they transferred from less than stellar programs. Had they experienced only winning thus far (even if against a soft schedule), morale would be high and they'd maximize their abilities. Now, there is a lot of second guessing and doubt setting in. You're much better off as a team having people say things like "that team you just blew out isn't any good!" then "you guys just lost again?!?"

You are probably right in that if Lakeland does not win out there is likely a huge phycological component to it. From watching them on video and in person, they have the talent. But if there is a lot of self doubt, then the Gainesville team may take you out at their place. I always tend to have my doubts about Gainesville teams, mostly because they have made state title games only sporadically in the last 20+ years and when they have have lost by big margins.  

45 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

You are probably right in that if Lakeland does not win out there is likely a huge phycological component to it. From watching them on video and in person, they have the talent. But if there is a lot of self doubt, then the Gainesville team may take you out at their place. I always tend to have my doubts about Gainesville teams, mostly because they have made state title games only sporadically in the last 20+ years and when they have have lost by big margins.  

I gather Buchholz has more of a monopoly on local talent than those other Gainesville teams. They appear more dominant than those other teams were. Dreadnaught fans have to hope the team gets healthy, and then breaks out of being down in the dumps and starts playing angry. This has seemed to be one of those dreaded "nice guys" team. Granted, that's now the norm more than anything else. But, that's why hungry teams that play "with their hair on fire" have a great shot.

13 hours ago, Longtime Observer said:

The game winning play was a blocked FG returned for a TD when Lakeland led 34-29. It was a very easy blocked FG. Knights also had a pick-six. CAI deserved the win, no doubt. Lakeland was without 3* Carlos Mitchell, 3* D'marius Rucker, top big play WR Rick Penick, starting DE  Jack Proctor and backup RB Jordan Henderson. Too many key players out, playing before a flat crowd. The 27-10 lead Lakeland enjoyed in the 2nd quarter probably also led an immature group to let up. For those wondering, my fear that QB Evans Chuba would return didn't happen. So, this was the same CAI team that played all season prior...

I'm getting 2003 vibes.  I'm waiting for the wheels to fall off and the Naughts lose to the winless Red Devils.  Please don't blow that game! :lol:

F3QpsyKW4AAnYFr?format=webp&name=small

3 hours ago, Nulli Secundus said:

I'm getting 2003 vibes.  I'm waiting for the wheels to fall off and the Naughts lose to the winless Red Devils.  Please don't blow that game! :lol:

F3QpsyKW4AAnYFr?format=webp&name=small

Have to love "Priviledged Dreadnaughts" haha

I don't know about the mood, but this is really not like 2003, other than the fact that the team is fast but light/small. This has been the hardest regular season trio of games they've ever played.

A legendary foundational head coach of more than 40yrs has stepped down. It's not that unusual for a program to recalibrate to continue with a dynasty. Jax Bolles also fluttered a bit when their legend moved on. Lots of talent in Polk county. Let's see if the new guy too can consistently bring them home.    

1 hour ago, Dan in Daytona said:

A legendary foundational head coach of more than 40yrs has stepped down. It's not that unusual for a program to recalibrate to continue with a dynasty. Jax Bolles also fluttered a bit when their legend moved on. Lots of talent in Polk county. Let's see if the new guy too can consistently bring them home.    

I think he made his job much more difficult by scheduling Norland and SJP. Last year's team should've had games like those. He's done a very good job with the passing attack. But, most of the hallmarks of Castle's teams are gone. There are some situations where this is good, and others where it is not. I'd bet Castle would've run off-tackle on 4th and goal up 34-29 late. Probably wouldn't have scored without their top two backs carrying it. but CAI wouldn't have been strolling down the field untouched for the game-winning score, either.