Truth in advertising?

Dr. D

Gotta love this ad in the FHSAA Classifieds.  Looks like DeLand is going to be down this year.  Anyone buying it?

Football Games Needed Weeks 2,4,7,9

Post Date: 01/09/2024
Sport: Football (11 man)
County: Volusia
School Name: DeLand
Contact Name: Rick Darlington
Contact Phone: +1 (352) 455-9563
Contact Email: coachrickdarlington@gmail.com

Deland High School needs four football games this cycle. Weeks 2, 4, 7, 9, & 11 are available. All of our good players were seniors. Now is a good time to play. Please contact Rick Darlington at 352-455-9563 or by email at coachrickdarlington@gmail.com.

25 minutes ago, Dr. D said:

Gotta love this ad in the FHSAA Classifieds.  Looks like DeLand is going to be down this year.  Anyone buying it?

Deland High School needs four football games this cycle. Weeks 2, 4, 7, 9, & 11 are available. All of our good players were seniors. Now is a good time to play. Please contact Rick Darlington at 352-455-9563 or by email at coachrickdarlington@gmail.com.

I highly doubt they are gonna be down. There are a lot of major rumors swirling at major programs, Cocoa included. Their schedule sounds like it's gonna be a doozy for the first 5 games with Mainland, possible Lake Mary and looks like they are replacing STA with Chaminade. But we will see how long that schedule stays intact if the rumor mill turns out to be facts. 

13 hours ago, Dr. D said:

They are going to be young. But I am sure talent is there. And I am sure coach Darlington will figure out how to use it effectively. Still, a game against Deland would be a good challenge for many teams. I encourage anyone short a game or two to embrace this challenge. VB, that includes you, too. 

• 3 weeks later...

Love the bravado from DeLand.  Seems like a heckuva coach to play for:

Football Games Needed Spring, Weeks 3 and 4

Post Date: 02/05/2024

Deland High School (FL) needs football games weeks 3,4 & spring.  The transfer portal doesn’t come here, and all our best prospects don’t drive yet.  Come get some!  Please Call Rick Darlington.

1 hour ago, nolebull813 said:

I think he is saying this because he doesn’t want to play any good teams. He won 50-3, 60-18 and 70-12. Don’t feel bad for them. They want more of the same 

I think he's trying to set a trap.  B)

Seriously, my guess is that he's had/having a hard time getting teams to schedule Deland because of their recent success (and likely because teams don't want to play against Darlington-style offenses unless and until they have to).  So, he's taking a page out of playbook of former Georgia coach, Vince Dooley, who was notorious for talking down his team's chances of success.  In short, he's trying to entice potential opponents to catch Deland while they're down, knowing that they're not that down and knowing that they need games. 

10 hours ago, Perspective said:

I think he's trying to set a trap.  B)

Seriously, my guess is that he's had/having a hard time getting teams to schedule Deland because of their recent success (and likely because teams don't want to play against Darlington-style offenses unless and until they have to).  So, he's taking a page out of playbook of former Georgia coach, Vince Dooley, who was notorious for talking down his team's chances of success.  In short, he's trying to entice potential opponents to catch Deland while they're down, knowing that they're not that down and knowing that they need games. 

He’s basically saying he doesn’t want to play any teams who could beat them the  same way they beat teams last year. 

3 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

He’s basically saying he doesn’t want to play any teams who could beat them the  same way they beat teams last year. 

Yup. Looks like they were able to force Mainland's hand to keep the rivalry alive. Mainland agreed to move their game against Deland from week 1 to week 7 lol. Deland should have the offense running smooth by then. They are also scheduled to play Eau Gallie as well, who has been begging for a game with Cocoa lol

13 hours ago, KeemD321 said:

Yup. Looks like they were able to force Mainland's hand to keep the rivalry alive. Mainland agreed to move their game against Deland from week 1 to week 7 lol. Deland should have the offense running smooth by then. They are also scheduled to play Eau Gallie as well, who has been begging for a game with Cocoa lol

Too funny. Classic “Oh Woe is me” Rick. 

18 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Too funny. Classic “Oh Woe is me” Rick. 

Yea I guess the game between Mainland has been week 1 for the past few seasons. Which was supposed to stay that way til Deland fought to move it stating that they didn't want multiple road games consecutively