1926 yearbook (Tampa) Booker T Washington

nolebull813

7 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

@nolebull813 thanks for posting this. I took the time to leaf through the yearbook. It was quite informative, especially for a man originally from Jamaica. From beginning to the end of their journey, the graduating class shrunk by more than 80%. To put that into perspective, that's an alarming but understandable rate for the times. 

I have no idea how that graduating class fared in their lives. WW2 was not that far off; the Great Depression was dead ahead; and the USA was a lot less hospitable to those of us "not blessed" with a certain ancestry. 

I don't know what motivated you to post this, but want to express my appreciation to you for doing so. 

7 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

@nolebull813 thanks for posting this. I took the time to leaf through the yearbook. It was quite informative, especially for a man originally from Jamaica. From beginning to the end of their journey, the graduating class shrunk by more than 80%. To put that into perspective, that's an alarming but understandable rate for the times. 

I have no idea how that graduating class fared in their lives. WW2 was not that far off; the Great Depression was dead ahead; and the USA was a lot less hospitable to those of us "not blessed" with a certain ancestry. 

I don't know what motivated you to post this, but want to express my appreciation to you for doing so. 

As you know I research the history of football in the state. I have a specific folder for all the historically black football teams before 1967 when they either closed or joined the FHSAA. As I was researching the teams from Tampa (Middleton, Blake, and Thompson) I stumbled upon Booker T Washington that I had not heard of. Come to find out they are the oldest historically black school to play football in Tampa. Older than the other 3 mentioned. So as I started to research more I came across the yearbook. I was grateful to find it because not only did it confirm the 1st year they started playing football which is sometimes really hard to find, but they showed the results as well. I too caught myself reading the entire yearbook in amazement and even busted out laughing at the goofy dad jokes at the end. Lol. 

18 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

As you know I research the history of football in the state. I have a specific folder for all the historically black football teams before 1967 when they either closed or joined the FHSAA. As I was researching the teams from Tampa (Middleton, Blake, and Thompson) I stumbled upon Booker T Washington that I had not heard of. Come to find out they are the oldest historically black school to play football in Tampa. Older than the other 3 mentioned. So as I started to research more I came across the yearbook. I was grateful to find it because not only did it confirm the 1st year they started playing football which is sometimes really hard to find, but they showed the results as well. I too caught myself reading the entire yearbook in amazement and even busted out laughing at the goofy dad jokes at the end. Lol. 

Can you find out records from the old Gifford High School which is now Gifford Middle 

13 hours ago, Vero Indian said:

Can you find out records from the old Gifford High School which is now Gifford Middle 

Gifford 1968 (last year before merging with Vero Beach)

(1-8-1) record

Delray Carver 6-34

Lakeshore 6-13

Marshall 0-33

WPB Roosevelt 0-26

Wymore Tech 27-0

Rochelle 6-20

Rivera Kennedy 6-33

Jewett 0-28

Father Lopez 7-22

Ft Pierce Lincoln 7-7

13 hours ago, Vero Indian said:

1967 (4-5-1)

Jewett 31-7

Delray Carver 12-37

Lakeshore 0-0

Roosevelt (Lake Wales) 55-0

Kennedy 7-51

Monroe 7-8 

Roosevelt (WPB) 0-14

Oakland 24-12

John Carroll 0-6

Lincoln Park 7-0

22 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

1967 (4-5-1)

Jewett 31-7

Delray Carver 12-37

Lakeshore 0-0

Roosevelt (Lake Wales) 55-0

Kennedy 7-51

Monroe 7-8 

Roosevelt (WPB) 0-14

Oakland 24-12

John Carroll 0-6

Lincoln Park 7-0

They struggled for sure, kinda wish they could break off from Vero and start a new thing like Gifford charter or something like that