Vero first game 2018

Jimmyb1980

...just curious.

Going back to the early 2000's, Vero used to play some interesting opponents-Rockledge, Lake Wales, etc.  One year they even invited Chaminade from Hollywood to play in the Citrus Bowl and got beaten pretty badly.  Do not remember the score-maybe 35-7.  

There are some good teams to the north (Rockledge, Palm Bay, Cocoa) an hour or less away and some good teams to the south(Atlantic, Dwyer, Deerfield Beach) that are about a 1.5 hour drive down I-95.

Am sure there are good reasons, but am curious why Vero has to play in Virginia or drive 3 hours across the state when it has potential opponents that are much closer.  Anyone know?    Would think games against Atlantic and Deerfield would be especially interesting since they could be a potential opponent in an 8A state final, assuming Vero ever got there.  

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

...just curious.

Going back to the early 2000's, Vero used to play some interesting opponents-Rockledge, Lake Wales, etc.  One year they even invited Chaminade from Hollywood to play in the Citrus Bowl and got beaten pretty badly.  Do not remember the score-maybe 35-7.  

There are some good teams to the north (Rockledge, Palm Bay, Cocoa) an hour or less away and some good teams to the south(Atlantic, Dwyer, Deerfield Beach) that are about a 1.5 hour drive down I-95.

Am sure there are good reasons, but am curious why Vero has to play in Virginia or drive 3 hours across the state when it has potential opponents that are much closer.  Anyone know?    Would think games against Atlantic and Deerfield would be especially interesting since they could be a potential opponent in an 8A state final, assuming Vero ever got there.  

Because Vero don't want those teams to crush them they are too fast for Vero

3 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I am no VB insider, but I would guess in the case of the teams an hour or more to the South, they don't want to play against a potential State Championship opponent during the regular season. Regarding the teams an hour north, last season they did play a solid Viera team albeit in the KOC. And for all but those in the know, Rockledge was an unknown factor going into last season since it had been awhile since they were good. 

However, for the upcoming reason you are right. They could schedule some of the better Brevard teams without fear of giving anything away in a future matchup. I won't knock them for scheduling Venice, though; after all they are a defending state champion. 

36 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I am no VB insider, but I would guess in the case of the teams an hour or more to the South, they don't want to play against a potential State Championship opponent during the regular season. Regarding the teams an hour north, last season they did play a solid Viera team albeit in the KOC. And for all but those in the know, Rockledge was an unknown factor going into last season since it had been awhile since they were good. 

However, for the upcoming reason you are right. They could schedule some of the better Brevard teams without fear of giving anything away in a future matchup. I won't knock them for scheduling Venice, though; after all they are a defending state champion. 

When Bolles won the 2A state title in 2002, they went down to play Chaminade in south Florida during the regular season and lost in a game that came down to a 2-point conversion at the end.   The two teams met again in the state finals, which Bolles won 6-0.  For a while(maybe still), it was the only state championship game in which no touchdown was scored.  Future pro bowler Jon Beason played in those games.

I think the regular season game actually added some intrigue to the state finals, ie chance for revenge.  Am sure Coach Rogers knew there was a good chance they would meet in the finals, so it was a gutsy move to schedule the regular season game.  

14 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

When Bolles won the 2A state title in 2002, they went down to play Chaminade in south Florida during the regular season and lost in a game that came down to a 2-point conversion at the end.   The two teams met again in the state finals, which Bolles won 6-0.  For a while(maybe still), it was the only state championship game in which no touchdown was scored.  Future pro bowler Jon Beason played in those games.

I think the regular season game actually added some intrigue to the state finals, ie chance for revenge.  Am sure Coach Rogers knew there was a good chance they would meet in the finals, so it was a gutsy move to schedule the regular season game.  

I remember that final. Did not see it live but watched the replay. Great defensive struggle between two very, very good teams.