Fun Fact about Vero

FloTech

5 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I would challenge that 7A Region 4 was at least as good, if not better, than 7A Region 3.  Look at teams seeded 3-8 in the playoffs in Region 3.  Where are the "quality" wins amongst them?   When Pinellas Park is a #3 seed and the #4 seed is a 5-5 South Fort Myers team that got trounced by Naples, Immokalee, Braden River and Port Charlotte...that is a weak region.

In Region 4, Doral was a pretty good team.  They beat Pace, who is always tough, and nearly beat Dwyer and the 2A state champion.  Local folks following following the team were commenting they had talent.  I would put Dwyer(the #2 seed) up against Tampa Bay Tech.  As far as the rest of the teams.  

To be fair Braden River was at worst the 3rd best team in that region and palmetto was right behind them 

Those 2 would have won the districts of the 3rd and 4th seeded teams 

16 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Vero has always been able to put points on the board.  Vero's problem is DEFENSE...or lack thereof...both short-term and long-term trends reflect this.

Points given up in playoff losses between 2008-2017-35, 34, 42, 47, 29, 41, 37, 31, 28       average =36

...since 1988...844 points give up in 26 playoff games   average=32    in 22/26 playoff losses since 1988, Vero gave up 27 points or more

It is not as if these losses are all to offensive juggernauts, either.   

We are also like 0-7/8 against teams from the west coast(Sarasota/Manatee throw in East Lake because of location) in the playoffs.....

East Lake and Park Vista only allowed Vero 7 points in each of the playoff games and both games Vero fumbled like crazy....

Speaking of fumbling, Vero always turn the ball over in the playoffs 

East Lake made Vero cough up the ball BOTH years Osceola caused Vero turnovers in each half and both resulted in Osceola tds and Vero turned the ball over three times against Dr Phillips and resulted in three td scoring drives, Riverview caused Vero 4 turnovers and scored 28 points in the second quarter last year 

What an embarrassment smh

I don't know who the 2nd best team in 7A Region 4 was this year....The drop off between 1 and 2 in that Region is huge but that is also because of STA.   The Region could definitely use a tune up.  I would add Ely probably  has potential to be good but at the end of the day it is hard to call anyone in that region or any 7A Region a "contender" versus STA.  Venice had a very good team this year, were at Home and were blood-thirsty.  They got by STA in a down year.  Not sure... but no one else in the State in 7A  may have even contended with STA in 2018. 

1 minute ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

I don't know who the 2nd best team in 7A Region 4 was this year....The drop off between 1 and 2 in that Region is huge but that is also because of STA.   The Region could definitely use a tune up.  I would add Ely probably  has potential to be good but at the end of the day it is hard to call anyone in that region or any 7A Region a "contender" versus STA.  Venice had a very good team this year, were at Home and were blood-thirsty.  They got by STA in a down year.  Not sure... but no one else in the State in 7A  may have even contended with STA in 2018

Don't you mean 2017?

56 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

But STA is in that Region....In 2018, the weakest 7A Region top to bottom....probably. But how do you figure "by far" ?   

When you have STA in your Region, generally no team is realistically a contender.  Tell me another 7A team in any region over the last few years that would be a consistent contender in 7A Region 4 with STA present?

Would you prefer Columbia over the years played in 7A Region 4 versus 7A Region 1? What does it matter if you get hung out to dry in Week 1 or pummeled in Week 3? You have to go through STA regardless.

Let me also take Bartram Trail out of Region 1,  Plant out of Region 2 and Venice out of Region 3.  Now talk to me about 7A as a whole..

Was there much of a difference this year between Doral Academy and Columbia, Wiregrass Ranch, East Lake, Palmetto, Edgwater, or Lincoln?

Matchup speaking, like Doral any one of those teams likely gets the snot beat out of them versus a extremely down 2018 STA team. 

Ask Venice what team was a harder game versus them in STA or Bartram Trail?

My point is 7A Region 4 is still generally the hardest region to advance in beyond 3 games, thus it might be fair to say it is not "by far" the weakest 7A Region.  Again, STA is part of that Region.

7A was arguably the weakest of the larger classes (5A-8A).  Below are the number of Florida top 50 teams in each class according to Maxpreps.  Braden River in 7A making top 50 over South Dade or Southridge...hmmmm  I think the latter would have easily beaten BR.

8A-13

7A-8 

6A-10

5A-10

3 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

7A was arguably the weakest of the larger classes (5A-8A).  Below are the number of Florida top 50 teams in each class according to Maxpreps.  Braden River in 7A making top 50 over South Dade or Southridge...hmmmm  I think the latter would have easily beaten BR.

8A-13

7A-8 

6A-10

5A-10

Maxpreps has cardinal gibbons at 10 and bartram trail over Miami Carol City, st Thomas Aquinas and oxbridge academy 

I have a much better comparison poll then maxpreps 

Just now, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Maxpreps has cardinal gibbons at 10 and bartram trail over Miami Carol City, st Thomas Aquinas and oxbridge academy 

I have a much better comparison poll then maxpreps 

I think most would agree who the top 4-5 teams were in 5A, 6A and 7A and that there was a substantial dropoff in talent between them and other teams in their respective classes.  None of these classes was exceptionally deep.  

In 8A, there had to be 15 teams that could give each other a competitive contest on any one night.  7 of the 8 regional semi's were decided by 7 points or less.  8A has got it right in terms of parity and depth. 

10 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I think most would agree who the top 4-5 teams were in 5A, 6A and 7A and that there was a substantial dropoff in talent between them and other teams in their respective classes.  None of these classes was exceptionally deep.  

In 8A, there had to be 15 teams that could give each other a competitive contest on any one night.  7 of the 8 regional semi's were decided by 7 points or less.  8A has got it right in terms of parity and depth. 

That's why i keep saying 8a is the best overall class 

6a is best at the top but doesn't compare to 8a when it comes to depth

8 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

That's why i keep saying 8a is the best overall class 

6a is best at the top but doesn't compare to 8a when it comes to depth

The top varies by years.  One could argue 5A  could rival 6A or the best at the top this year but agree 8A generally has the most depth.  2015, 8A was strong at the top.