Chaminade vs.

SFL SPY

I really hope to see Chaminade line up against St. Thomas and Cardinal Gibbons this coming season. I know Coach Jones is not afraid to schedule the top programs in South Florida (MC, BTW, AHP in 2017), I wonder how STA and CG feel about playing CM.

I would be SHOCKED if STA had the guts to play CM!

For the record, CG has played CM recently (2015, 2016). I just would like to see the 2018 version of both programs play.

1 hour ago, SFL SPY said:

I really hope to see Chaminade line up against St. Thomas and Cardinal Gibbons this coming season. I know Coach Jones is not afraid to schedule the top programs in South Florida (MC, BTW, AHP in 2017), I wonder how STA and CG feel about playing CM.

For the record, CG has played CM recently (2015, 2016). I just would like to see the 2018 version of both programs play.

Aquinas vs Chaminade would have been interesting this year, especially toward the end of the year.  Don't think Chaminade could handle them on a "normal" year.  Those two had a great rivalry and would regularly play back in the 70's.  Then Chaminade fell off the map for about 20 years.  I had heard STA wanted no part of Chaminade (nothing to gain, everything to lose) with Guandolo.  Will be interesting to see if that changes. 

1 hour ago, SFL SPY said:

I must be missing something with the amount of new additions to CM for the 2018 season....I know about WR John Dunmore and RB Wilie Davis added, great players ,  but I don't see those two players quite replacing the 2017 WR core and RB Shaun Shivers....I understand the OL is supposedly up a bit with a returning QB who gets the job done.  I understand several return on Defense as well...  It's early but as of now I just don't see this team as loaded as the 2016 and 2017 CM teams.  Does not mean they will not be dominant though as I think 3A will be down this year as a whole after having a few good teams outside of OA and CM last year.   

The 2016 and 2017 CM teams were damn good but generally when they stepped up to play powers from the higher classifications they struggled.  Outside of STA being extremely down in 2017,  STA would have toyed with CM IMO the last few years.  I don't feel the loaded 2016 CM team would have had a prayer against 2016 STA. 

I think 2017 CM would have gave 2017 STA all they could handle at minimum.  I saw 2017 CG and CM both play a few times last year and feel pretty confident CG was the better team.  

10 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

I must be missing something with the amount of new additions to CM for the 2018 season....I know about WR John Dunmore and RB Wilie Davis added, great players ,  but I don't see those two players quite replacing the 2017 WR core and RB Shaun Shivers....I understand the OL is supposedly up a bit with a returning QB who gets the job done.  I understand several return on Defense as well...  It's early but as of now I just don't see this team as loaded as the 2016 and 2017 CM teams.  Does not mean they will not be dominant though as I think 3A will be down this year as a whole after having a few good teams outside of OA and CM last year.   

The 2016 and 2017 CM teams were damn good but generally when they stepped up to play powers from the higher classifications they struggled.  Outside of STA being extremely down in 2017,  STA would have toyed with CM IMO the last few years.  I don't feel the loaded 2016 CM team would have had a prayer against 2016 STA. 

I think 2017 CM would have gave 2017 STA all they could handle at minimum.  I saw 2017 CG and CM both play a few times last year and feel pretty confident CG was the better team.  

Some seem to think that Willie Davis has the potential of Shivers.  He has power and speed.  Actually a little bigger than Shivers.  If you look at Chaminade's receiving corps, they did not utilize them nearly as much as what one would think considering the talent level.  Their 4-star receiver going to Alabama had a small number of TD's compared to some other 4 and 5-star WR's in the country.  So, if their coach plans to lean heavily on his running game, it may not matter if their WR's are quite as good next season.

After the state title game, Jessica did a nice write-up, and I added the following based on what I found...

Chaminade's defense will be reloading, and should feature a lot of talented seniors.   Concerning the secondary, they have 4 with D1 offers.  As if that is not enough, they also have Ahmaud Jordan and James Williams, both seniors-to-be with D1 offers who could play as defensive backs.   

The D line will be anchored by future senior UM commit Cameron Williams at DE, and future junior, UM commit William Moise at DT.

On offense, Menard returns and is ranked in the top 15 qb's in the state by qbhitlist.  The O-line should be solid, with four seniors and anchored by 6'3" 320 lb Jimmy Nixon.  There should be at least two others in the 300-pound or greater range.  Thad Franklin, a freshman this past season who saw action, already has D1 offers, can serve as running back.  Chaminade has three talented sophomores at WR who all saw playing time.  Elijah Canion is 6'3/190 and am guessing he will be getting a lot of attention next year from scouts. 

Broward is correct IMHO and I appreciate the shoutout Oldschool!  Chaminade is an overwhelming favorite to win 3A this year. Their secondary is one of the best in the entire state IMHO and they have not 1, but 2 really good QB's. The regular season is going to be a challenge, but it's supposed to be.

The most legitimate threat to Chaminade in 2018 destroyed itself from within, Tampa Catholic had the athletes, coaching and linemen to compete with Chaminade this year- but then players transferred out. TC isn't dead, they still have athletes and could have an elite QB in Kenny Kelly's son who is taking over and if they pick up some players they could be back in the thick of things, but right now it's shaping up to be a colossal disappointment for them this off season.

In previous threads we discussed their defections; however, since those threads- there have been others leave TC for other local schools.  American Heritage Delray, who I was expecting to be back this year keeps taking 1 step forward 1.5 steps back. They're better than last year, but not where they need to be to seriously compete with Chaminade. 

Oxbridge and MCC were top of the tier teams in 3A last year. Obviously, we know about the issues at Oxbridge already- they've had quite a few hard-hitting transfers out of the program and it's hard seeing the program maintain momentum going forward without an influx of affluent/athletic transfers.  MCC had a monster graduating class- but they could be a dark horse in the north simply by virtue of the lack of talented teams. The young Valentine RB is as talented as his older brother and a spring champion in his own right.  Don't count out Ft. White and FSU High either. Both teams return solid talent and will be reap the benefits of MCC/Ox being less talented than years past.

If I were ranking 3A right now in March based on my current knowledge..

1) Chaminade- Madonna;  They're the best team in 3A and should be a nationally ranked top 50 team in America going into the season. Team has masterfully reloaded in the off-season with a combination of transfers and rising young guns.  CM should have some major ,nationally ranked teams lining the schedule this year.
2) Clearwater Central Catholic: CCC has some elite level athletes in the Newton brothers (especially Jr. Johnny Newton), a solid Sr. QB, a loaded defense and some strong transfers that were needed in the trenches. CCC has also been the beneficiary of a few multi-million dollar "football only" donations this off-season, but won't benefit from the windfall until 2019. Can compete with CM for a little bit, but could go undefeated again even with a much beefier schedule in 2018.
3) Oxbridge Academy: Major hits, but Gio Richardson is still one of the top QB's in the state. There's enough here to get back to Orlando, but not realistically challenge Chaminade-Madonna.
4) FSU School:  FSU school pulls some major upsets in 2017 to get to the final 4. The Seminoles bring back some solid firepower for 2018 and will factor into the northern championship race.
5) Tampa Catholic:  Crusaders, like Oxbridge had a hefty graduating class and then were hit with defections but still have one of the top RB's in the state in Jalen Bussey, a superstar in the making QB Kelly and a bend but not break defense. Probably last year in 3A as based on current enrollment they're a mid-level 4A team in terms of enrollment.

On the cusp: American Heritage Delray, MCC,
Question Mark: Berkeley Prep

2 hours ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

Broward is correct IMHO and I appreciate the shoutout Oldschool!  Chaminade is an overwhelming favorite to win 3A this year. Their secondary is one of the best in the entire state IMHO and they have not 1, but 2 really good QB's. The regular season is going to be a challenge, but it's supposed to be.

The most legitimate threat to Chaminade in 2018 destroyed itself from within, Tampa Catholic had the athletes, coaching and linemen to compete with Chaminade this year- but then players transferred out. TC isn't dead, they still have athletes and could have an elite QB in Kenny Kelly's son who is taking over and if they pick up some players they could be back in the thick of things, but right now it's shaping up to be a colossal disappointment for them this off season.

In previous threads we discussed their defections; however, since those threads- there have been others leave TC for other local schools.  American Heritage Delray, who I was expecting to be back this year keeps taking 1 step forward 1.5 steps back. They're better than last year, but not where they need to be to seriously compete with Chaminade. 

Oxbridge and MCC were top of the tier teams in 3A last year. Obviously, we know about the issues at Oxbridge already- they've had quite a few hard-hitting transfers out of the program and it's hard seeing the program maintain momentum going forward without an influx of affluent/athletic transfers.  MCC had a monster graduating class- but they could be a dark horse in the north simply by virtue of the lack of talented teams. The young Valentine RB is as talented as his older brother and a spring champion in his own right.  Don't count out Ft. White and FSU High either. Both teams return solid talent and will be reap the benefits of MCC/Ox being less talented than years past.

If I were ranking 3A right now in March based on my current knowledge..

1) Chaminade- Madonna;  They're the best team in 3A and should be a nationally ranked top 50 team in America going into the season. Team has masterfully reloaded in the off-season with a combination of transfers and rising young guns.  CM should have some major ,nationally ranked teams lining the schedule this year.
2) Clearwater Central Catholic: CCC has some elite level athletes in the Newton brothers (especially Jr. Johnny Newton), a solid Sr. QB, a loaded defense and some strong transfers that were needed in the trenches. CCC has also been the beneficiary of a few multi-million dollar "football only" donations this off-season, but won't benefit from the windfall until 2019. Can compete with CM for a little bit, but could go undefeated again even with a much beefier schedule in 2018.
3) Oxbridge Academy: Major hits, but Gio Richardson is still one of the top QB's in the state. There's enough here to get back to Orlando, but not realistically challenge Chaminade-Madonna.
4) FSU School:  FSU school pulls some major upsets in 2017 to get to the final 4. The Seminoles bring back some solid firepower for 2018 and will factor into the northern championship race.
5) Tampa Catholic:  Crusaders, like Oxbridge had a hefty graduating class and then were hit with defections but still have one of the top RB's in the state in Jalen Bussey, a superstar in the making QB Kelly and a bend but not break defense. Probably last year in 3A as based on current enrollment they're a mid-level 4A team in terms of enrollment.

On the cusp: American Heritage Delray, MCC,
Question Mark: Berkeley Prep

That 3A scenario appears about spot on right now SPCjessica2004.  I might put a question mark next to AHD as well given the fact they had lots returning and they already had a few transfer out, including their top player in high profile WR John Dunmore who transferred to Chaminade-Madonna.  Will AHD be able to hold most of the current team together and perhaps get a few more in.  If they can I think they are a bubble top 5 team.

I doubt any 2018 3A team that CM will face will be even close to as strong as the 2017 Oxbridge Academy.   I will miss that anticipated match up 3A  that I was so excited for and lived up to all the hype as both teams left everything on the field.......Is it time to bring TCA back to 3A :unsure: ?

As far as CM being a top 50 team nationally, I will be curious to see their schedule.  I believe they were a top 50 team last year early on but appeared to still have a way to go to back that up with a brutal schedule. Locally, my final rankings  had AHP and Cardinal Gibbons a tight 1,2 (on a slightly higher level) then a gap followed by CM, STA and Miramar who probably could have all beat one another on any night. CM finished very strong but I feel they were realistically probably closer to a top 100 team then top 50 team in 2017.  

This year pre-season locally ,  I see AHP down, STA ?, CM ? (probably at least as good).  Miramar and Cardinal Gibbons both took big hits but have potential to improve fast.

21 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Look's 

That 3A scenario appears about spot on right now SPCjessica2004.  I might put a question mark next to AHD as well given the fact they had lots returning and they already had a few transfer out, including their top player in high profile WR John Dunmore who transferred to Chaminade-Madonna.  Will AHD be able to hold most of the current team together and perhaps get a few more in.  If they can I think they are a bubble top 5 team.

I doubt any 2018 3A team that CM will face will be even close to as strong as the 2017 Oxbridge Academy.   I will miss that anticipated match up 3A  that I was so excited for and lived up to all the hype as both teams left everything on the field.......Is it time to bring TCA back to 3A :unsure: ?

As far as CM being a top 50 team nationally, I will be curious to see their schedule.  I believe they were a top 50 team last year early on but appeared to still have a way to go to back that up with a brutal schedule. Locally, my final rankings  had AHP and Cardinal Gibbons a tight 1,2 (on a slightly higher level) then a gap followed by CM, STA and Miramar who probably could have all beat one another on any night. CM finished very strong but I feel they were realistically probably closer to a top 100 team then top 50 team in 2017.  

This year pre-season locally ,  I see AHP down, STA ?, CM ? (probably at least as good).  Miramar and Cardinal Gibbons both took big hits but have potential to improve fast.

All great observations!  I have it on good authority that JaxTCA will not be looking to return to 3A, at least not yet. It's not that they aren't opposed to returning to 3A, it's that they can't put together a 10 game schedule without major issues. If 3A still had districts, JaxTCA would still be in 3A.

At the risk of looking too far ahead both Tampa Catholic and American Heritage Delray are expected to be in 4A next rotation which is after the 2018 season. Both teams currently have enrollment that puts them smack in the middle of 4A. Chaminade was wise to to sign contracts instead of just having gentleman's agreements for games- but those contracts are up after this season and with an anticipated 2nd state championship all but assured they're going to be in JaxTCA's boat of having to deal with scheduling 10 games without playing powerhouses every week.

Another thing to keep in mind- Chaminade gets most of their transfers in via Step-Up and McKay Scholarships and then writing the rest off as a loss. It works because the Lions as a school bring in enough money to offset the cost. As long as the money doesn't come out of the Diocese pocket, they tend to look the other way.

This isn't just Chaminade, I'm simply using them as an example. Most religious schools do this. It's my understanding that they will be changing their eligibility requirements and there will be tougher requirements to declare "need" based assistance. I only know this because a neighbor is in the process of starting their child (who is an athlete) at Trinity Prep in Winter Park. It's the worst kept secret that private schools use these scholarships to get athletes enrolled. Some schools use FACTS as well. You have to apply every year and the amount changes based on household income. It's not changing this year (aid year 2017/2018), but will supposedly be changing for aid year (2018/2019).

Right now, I'm just curious to see everybody's final schedule.

8 minutes ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

All great observations!  I have it on good authority that JaxTCA will not be looking to return to 3A, at least not yet. It's not that they aren't opposed to returning to 3A, it's that they can't put together a 10 game schedule without major issues. If 3A still had districts, JaxTCA would still be in 3A.

At the risk of looking too far ahead both Tampa Catholic and American Heritage Delray are expected to be in 4A next rotation which is after the 2018 season. Both teams currently have enrollment that puts them smack in the middle of 4A. Chaminade was wise to to sign contracts instead of just having gentleman's agreements for games- but those contracts are up after this season and with an anticipated 2nd state championship all but assured they're going to be in JaxTCA's boat of having to deal with scheduling 10 games without playing powerhouses every week.

Another thing to keep in mind- Chaminade gets most of their transfers in via Step-Up and McKay Scholarships and then writing the rest off as a loss. It works because the Lions as a school bring in enough money to offset the cost. As long as the money doesn't come out of the Diocese pocket, they tend to look the other way.

This isn't just Chaminade, I'm simply using them as an example. Most religious schools do this. It's my understanding that they will be changing their eligibility requirements and there will be tougher requirements to declare "need" based assistance. I only know this because a neighbor is in the process of starting their child (who is an athlete) at Trinity Prep in Winter Park. It's the worst kept secret that private schools use these scholarships to get athletes enrolled. Some schools use FACTS as well. You have to apply every year and the amount changes based on household income. It's not changing this year (aid year 2017/2018), but will supposedly be changing for aid year (2018/2019).

More great insight!   Keep us posted when you get a hold of any of those schedules!

21 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Look's 

I'll go out on a limb and predict if Chaminade's(or any other team's) new MO is to rely upon 4/5-star, senior transfers to fill the gaps every year to maintain their "nationally ranked" status, it is a matter of time before they crash and burn.  That strategy can only work so long.  The year their coach leaves and the transfers don't come, they will collapse, like NUMEROUS other teams who have experienced the same...and like Chaminade did 12 years ago when Guandolo left.      

How would you feel if every year your employer brought in a new hot rod who took that promotion you were wanting?   Workplaces that bring "outsiders" in and do not promote from within often have big-time morale problems and dissension within the ranks...and people who will leave in a heartbeat when given the chance..  A football team is no different.  Imagine how the junior-to-be WR at Chaminade feels after putting in 2 hard years and now this kid who was there as a freshman and left now transfers back in and takes my starting spot?   

That is not loyalty, so how can the teams expect players to be loyal in return?  This crap is what is causing kids to have selfish attitudes.  It's all mind over matter, kids.  "They don't mind, and you don't matter."  All that matters is doing whatever we need to do to win THIS year.  Screw the future.  We'll worry about that after the season is over. 

It's the same reason our great US companies are folding today.  Once loyalty went out the window to boost that quarterly earnings report, it all started falling apart.  Just as I predict the hs dynasties of the past will be harder to come by in the future.   Hope I am wrong.

5 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I'll go out on a limb and predict if Chaminade's(or any other team's) new MO is to rely upon 4/5-star, senior transfers to fill the gaps every year to maintain their "nationally ranked" status, it is a matter of time before they crash and burn.  That strategy can only work so long.  The year their coach leaves and the transfers don't come, they will collapse, like NUMEROUS other teams who have experienced the same...and like Chaminade did 12 years ago when Guandolo left.      

How would you feel if every year your employer brought in a new hot rod who took that promotion you were wanting?   Workplaces that bring "outsiders" in and do not promote from within often have big-time morale problems and dissension within the ranks...and people who will leave in a heartbeat when given the chance..  A football team is no different.  Imagine how the junior-to-be WR at Chaminade feels after putting in 2 hard years and now this kid who was there as a freshman and left now transfers back in and takes my starting spot?   

That is not loyalty, so how can the teams expect players to be loyal in return?  This crap is what is causing kids to have selfish attitudes.  It's all mind over matter, kids.  "They don't mind, and you don't matter."  All that matters is doing whatever we need to do to win THIS year.  Screw the future.  We'll worry about that after the season is over. 

It's the same reason our great US companies are folding today.  Once loyalty went out the window to boost that quarterly earnings report, it all started falling apart.  Just as I predict the hs dynasties of the past will be harder to come by in the future.   Hope I am wrong.

I'm not advocating this process but the facts are this his how CM got real good, real fast after a decent 2015 season in which they fell to Oxbridge Academy.  If I am not mistaken at one point CM had 24 FBS players on their roster in 2016, Jason Milgrom was out over the summer in a potential implosion scenario for the program.   Dameon Jones took over coming from Hallandale,  righted the ship with the CM program and they have been a power since then.   Again , I'm not advocating how CM got this good this fast and not disagreeing with your thoughts on a potential crash-n-burn situation in the future.  This is just the way it is not only at CM but other small private powers as well.  

32 minutes ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

Hey Jessica,

Check out the Class 3A, 2A and 2B brackets from 2010 and compare them versus what we had this past season in 2A-4A.  Look at some of the intriguing matchups of the past.  The lower classes used to be so exciting...not anymore 

Made some posts a while back about how dreadful 4A was this past season...so many blowouts in the playoffs and with additional teams being added, some possibly with losing records, things possibly getting worse. Sounds like 3A could become the new 4A in the future....and/or additional lack of parity in 4A.     

9 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

I'm not advocating this process but the facts are this his how CM got real good, real fast after a decent 2015 season in which they fell to Oxbridge Academy.  If I am not mistaken at one point CM had 24 FBS players on their roster in 2016, Jason Milgrom was out over the summer in a potential implosion scenario for the program.   Dameon Jones took over coming from Hallandale,  righted the ship with the CM program and they have been a power since then.   Again , I'm not advocating how CM got this good this fast and not disagreeing with your thoughts on a potential crash-n-burn situation in the future.  This is just the way it is not only at CM but other small private powers as well.  

You are spot on.  But considering the level of talent Chaminade had this year, they are underperforming in my book, and were over-rated big time as a team.  That great individual talent has carried them, because as a team they were not as impressive as Guandolo's state champion teams, who had much less individual talent.  This year's team absolutely gave up in the games at Central and AHP...no heart.  A good team never gives up...no excuse, even when you lose your qb.  That "great" secondary of theirs was completely exposed against AHP, and considering they have 4-star DB's, I have to believe they just stopped playing to look that bad.      

What great teams has Chaminade beaten in the past two years?  Guandolo's teams beat Manatee twice away and Mainland twice, once away.  The year they beat Mainland in Daytona, Mainland was a big school state champion.  Those teams had great heart.  Chaminade did show good heart/team play in the state finals, but a great team does that all season long.  

Honestly i see both BTW and Chaminade moving to 5a by choice to guarantee a few games so they won't have to play powerhouses all the time 

Plus i think raines has 5a enrollment and unless they have huge numbers drop they probably end up 5a after next season (which is unlikely as i see them getting some transfers and i also see raines being duval top public this year) 

5a might get very interesting in 2019

13 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Honestly i see both BTW and Chaminade moving to 5a by choice to guarantee a few games so they won't have to play powerhouses all the time 

Plus i think raines has 5a enrollment and unless they have huge numbers drop they probably end up 5a after next season (which is unlikely as i see them getting some transfers and i also see raines being duval top public this year) 

5a might get very interesting in 2019

5A South ( particularly Region 4)  this year was cannibalizing one another in early rounds and 5A North needs a lot of help IMO. If BTW and CM move to 5A Region 4 and continue up to speed , perhaps either Jones, Bishop Moore, Rockledge,  and Merritt Island could be added to a North Region to balance things out up North and throughout 5A in the State...

32 minutes ago, badbird said:

imagine how bad 4A and 3A will be if that happens.  They really need to reduce classifications or things will continue to be unbalanced.

I had a idea which would level out classes and would make sure 1 team wouldn't dominate a class but i doubt it would ever get considered