Coach Got $21000 Raise to $150k+ While Teachers Cut

OldSchoolLion

"..this comes at a time when the Carthage Independent School District (ISD) lost $6.9 million in state funding, forcing it to raise local property taxes, slash most teacher benefits, pack students in classrooms, and cut 32.5 positions."  This is the same school district that caught heat in 2012 for installing a $750k jumbotron at its field.   

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/12/19/carthage-budget-cuts/

According to the School District Superintendent, the coach put fans in the stands and basically paid for his own raise.  Sounds like the same  justification for huge college coaching salaries, no?  And just as college players are saying they should be paid for putting fans in the stands...maybe it's a matter of time before hs players do the same.

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

"..this comes at a time when the Carthage Independent School District (ISD) lost $6.9 million in state funding, forcing it to raise local property taxes, slash most teacher benefits, pack students in classrooms, and cut 32.5 positions."  This is the same school district that caught heat in 2012 for installing a $750k jumbotron at its field.   

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/12/19/carthage-budget-cuts/

According to the School District Superintendent, the coach put fans in the stands and basically paid for his own raise.  Sounds like the same  justification for huge college coaching salaries, no?  And just as college players are saying they should be paid for putting fans in the stands...maybe it's a matter of time before hs players do the same.

It's a sign of priorities gone desperately wrong. The HBC/AD has had spectacular success including multiple state titles. And, he is probably "paying for his own raise." However, to increase his pay to over $150,000 at a time when his school district is laboring under reduced funding is clearly a sign of misplaced priorities. For most of his players, long after the thrill of a deep playoff run is gone, the benefits/detriments of the quality of education they got/did not get, will still be impacting their lives. 

The above is an example, albeit an extreme one, of a society losing its moorings ... SMH. 

2 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

It's a sign of priorities gone desperately wrong. The HBC/AD has had spectacular success including multiple state titles. And, he is probably "paying for his own raise." However, to increase his pay to over $150,000 at a time when his school district is laboring under reduced funding is clearly a sign of misplaced priorities. For most of his players, long after the thrill of a deep playoff run is gone, the benefits/detriments of the quality of education they got/did not get, will still be impacting their lives. 

The above is an example, albeit an extreme one, of a society losing its moorings ... SMH. 

Here's the individual salaries of 500 Texas hs football coaches.  FL coaches...prepare to get sick.  Statewide, Texas football coaches earn an average of $98,668.  I think I saw only about 5 on the list making under $70k/year.  

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/special-reports/databases/article168974117.html

Much of education/athletics in Texas is being paid for by local property taxes and Texas has some of the highest in the country.  The average property tax bill in Austin, TX, is $7600.  So people in Texas are going broke.  The median family income in Cathage is $45k/year, hs staffs are being cut, and the coach is making over $150k/year.  Any problem with this picture?  :blink: 

I was sick from the title of the article. I know there has to be a happy median on what Florida coaches (of all sports) should make. I don't know what it is, but I do know that it ain't 150K. If that is the future of high school athletics, I would prefer schools get out of the athletics business completely. Allow IMG Academies to run sports. Allow Club teams, and travel AAU to become everything. Spend that money on the art, band, drama, FFA, and FBLA teachers and programs.

Coach is going to make 155K minus the average teacher salary in Carthage ISD (51K) that means he makes 103K for being a coach.
Tickets at Carthage are $8 a piece and they play 5 games (not counting playoffs). So in order for him to be worth it, the first 2,400 people each into the stadium solely go for paying his salary. This doesn't count money for any of his assistants or the needs of the team or program. 

I also hate the idea that athletics is the only way to pay for school. A bunch of hogwash. Let's use baseball for a moment.
2 weekends a month for travel baseball games (meals, hotels, gas, registration) $400-500 a weekend x 2 weekends x 12 months x 6 years of it that is $57,600 that pays for the first two years of the University of Florida easily (with no scholarships). 

As for getting into the school of choice, imagine reading and doing math for 3 hours everyday after school instead of sports. I promise the academic ability of the student would rise. 

8 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

I was sick from the title of the article. I know there has to be a happy median on what Florida coaches (of all sports) should make. I don't know what it is, but I do know that it ain't 150K. If that is the future of high school athletics, I would prefer schools get out of the athletics business completely. Allow IMG Academies to run sports. Allow Club teams, and travel AAU to become everything. Spend that money on the art, band, drama, FFA, and FBLA teachers and programs.

Coach is going to make 155K minus the average teacher salary in Carthage ISD (51K) that means he makes 103K for being a coach.
Tickets at Carthage are $8 a piece and they play 5 games (not counting playoffs). So in order for him to be worth it, the first 2,400 people each into the stadium solely go for paying his salary. This doesn't count money for any of his assistants or the needs of the team or program. 

I also hate the idea that athletics is the only way to pay for school. A bunch of hogwash. Let's use baseball for a moment.
2 weekends a month for travel baseball games (meals, hotels, gas, registration) $400-500 a weekend x 2 weekends x 12 months x 6 years of it that is $57,600 that pays for the first two years of the University of Florida easily (with no scholarships). 

As for getting into the school of choice, imagine reading and doing math for 3 hours everyday after school instead of sports. I promise the academic ability of the student would rise. 

HS teams in Texas are becoming status symbols for communities.  School districts(SD) try to outdo each other.  Unlike Florida, public schools in rich areas of Texas are dominating. 

Highland Park is an extremely affluent neighborhood of Dallas(the Bush family attends church there) with one hs in the SD.  The coach of their powerhouse team makes about $134k/year.  Go to the "other side of town," and the coaches are making around $80k.   

It is the same situation at powerhouse Westlake High, which is the only hs in its SD in an extremely affluent area of Austin.  Their coach makes about $132k/year.  The coach at Lanier High in Austin(15 minutes away), which is 97% minority, makes $70k/year.

As of 1 year ago, Texas school districts owed $13,297 per student on their long-term debt, the third-highest in the nation.  Yet over the past two decades, Texas communities have spent about $500 million on 144 indoor practice facilities

Just this past week, the Houston SD sent notices to teachers of layoffs made necessary by a $115 million budget shortfall.  In the meantime, the nearby Dickinson SD pays its hs coach $136k/year.