Comparison of Texas vs Florida Classifications & Districts

OldSchoolLion

I raised a question earlier... 

"Would people be all right with a state series final in which we have multiple state final games in the same year between teams from adjoining counties or even the same county?"  What if 3 of the finals this year looked like this?   One could argue these were the best teams in each class.  Would there be any negatives in the eyes of players and/or fans?  

6A Miami Central vs Miami Northwestern

5A AH Plantation vs Cardinal Gibbons

3A Oxbridge vs Chaminade

If we want to maintain the model of North vs South, having only 90 teams in a class might be raising the odds that one sector will field a team that is some might consider "weak."  Imagine if 7A and 8A were combined.  And 5A and 6A.  We probably wouldn't have an issue getting a strong team from both the north and the south.   Texas' 5A divisions each have about 125 schools...about 1.5 X the size of our current larger classes.

we have too many classifications that has watered down all sports.  Less classifications would help.  What if we did this.  Kept Regions the same.  Played the Semifinals at a central location and seeded them 1-4.  1 vs 4, 2 vs 3.  Winners play the following week at the home of the highest seed.  You wouldn't be able to watch all the state final games but you would have the better teams playing and the atmosphere would be a lot better.

We had 5 classes for nearly 15 years.  3A was a sweet spot for those mid-sized teams.  

I know this will likely never happen, but it's nice to dream.  If 7A/8A were combined and likewise 5A/6A, and 3A/4A , the regional finals could have looked like this..some very intriguing matchups, especially in 4A and 5A.  For kicks I placed the student population of the "5A"schools in parentheses after the school name. I doubt we would ever hear complaints of competitive finals between north and south with this scheme.

Class 5A

Region 1  Wekiva(2175) vs Bartram Trail(2484)

Region 2 Plant(2399) vs Dr Phillips(3797)

Region 3 Atlantic(2292) vs Venice(2174)

Region 4 St Thomas(2109) vs Miami(2920)

Class 4A

Region 1 St Augustine v W Florida

Region 2 Armwood v Baker County

Region 3 Naples v Immokalee

Region 4 Northwestern v American Heritage (PL)

Class 3A

Region 1 Raines v FSU

Region 2 Bradford v Oxbridge

Region 3 Cocoa v Clearwater Central Catholic

Region 4 Chaminade v Unviersity

1 hour ago, badbird said:

we have too many classifications that has watered down all sports.  Less classifications would help.  What if we did this.  Kept Regions the same.  Played the Semifinals at a central location and seeded them 1-4.  1 vs 4, 2 vs 3.  Winners play the following week at the home of the highest seed.  You wouldn't be able to watch all the state final games but you would have the better teams playing and the atmosphere would be a lot better.

Frankly speaking i have no problem with other sports having more classes specifically ones with district tournaments 

Unless they gonna start having district tournaments being done in a 2 week period instead of 1 week they need to keep them the way they are because most sports have trouble completing district tournaments in a 1 week period since weather in this state isn't guaranteed to be good for a entire week but if the districts are small enough then we are able to get good enough number of days to compete tournaments 

1 hour ago, badbird said:

But when it comes to football we probably need fewer classes 

24 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

But when it comes to football we probably need fewer classes 

Maybe it is time for everyone to take a big step back and think about what we are trying to accomplish with hs football.  The focus today is clearly showcasing kids and recruiting...and less on winning district and regional titles.

The playoffs were a much bigger deal years ago. We had some playoff game attendances eons ago that dwarf what we see today.  There is just so much distraction for players and fans alike.  So maybe we should have an end-of-season bowl game and be done with it.  

Am not saying I like it...not at all.  But am open to the idea if the majority think the effort of having the playoffs the way we do now is not worth the bother.  I see many folks getting much more revved up about out-of-state games than individual playoff games.

3 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Maybe it is time for everyone to take a big step back and think about what we are trying to accomplish with hs football.  The focus today is clearly showcasing kids and recruiting...and less on winning district and regional titles.

The playoffs were a much bigger deal years ago. We had some playoff game attendances eons ago that dwarf what we see today.  There is just so much distraction for players and fans alike.  So maybe we should have an end-of-season bowl game and be done with it.  

Am not saying I like it...not at all.  But am open to the idea if the majority think the effort of having the playoffs the way we do now is not worth the bother.  I see many folks getting much more revved up about out-of-state games than individual playoff games.

That's because fans these days are lazy and never show up to games especially the student sections 

Or in columbia case the student section would rather "go to gainesville for a day of fun" because Gainesville is sooooooo much fun to these idiots 

I still don't see it because everytime I'm in Gainesville all i see is a city that only got recognition because of a university 

7 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Not here it ain't 

I've suggested several oos games but they have all been turned down so I have no reason to worry about oos since the best chance we have of facing a national elite is get to state semifinals or finals

8 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

That's because fans these days are lazy and never show up to games especially the student sections 

Or in columbia case the student section would rather "go to gainesville for a day of fun" because Gainesville is sooooooo much fun to these idiots 

I still don't see it because everytime I'm in Gainesville all i see is a city that only got recognition because of a university 

just admit this was you on one of your weekend jaunts to Gainesville, Columbia..it's OK..really

Image result for little kid gator hater

3 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Frankly speaking i have no problem with other sports having more classes specifically ones with district tournaments 

Unless they gonna start having district tournaments being done in a 2 week period instead of 1 week they need to keep them the way they are because most sports have trouble completing district tournaments in a 1 week period since weather in this state isn't guaranteed to be good for a entire week but if the districts are small enough then we are able to get good enough number of days to compete tournaments 

playoffs in those other sports are blowout city.  Also not everyone has to make district tournament.  Top 8 would be ok and take 3 days to play.  Most tournaments take 3 days anyway.

3 minutes ago, badbird said:

playoffs in those other sports are blowout city.  Also not everyone has to make district tournament.  Top 8 would be ok and take 3 days to play.  Most tournaments take 3 days anyway.

It takes us 2 days for a 4 team district 

How exactly do they get 8 into 3 days? 

42 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

It takes us 2 days for a 4 team district 

How exactly do they get 8 into 3 days? 

lol someone didn't do well in math.  

Day 1    8 teams 4 win 4 lose

Day 2    4 teams 2 win 2 lose

Day 3     2 teams 1 wins 1 loses