Plant vs Armwood (top rivalry in Hillsborough County)

nolebull813

Usually a rivalry is built naturally. The only teams in town. Like when Hillsborough and Plant were the only 2 teams in the city for a while. 2 neighboring Counties when they are the only show in town. (Think Hardee/Desoto) Or when a new school opens up close by. Like when Armwood opened to relieve Brandon High. Did you know that Armwood used to have maroon in their school colors and uniforms to pay homage to Brandon? 

But Plant vs Armwood is a unique rivalry for the fact the rivalry was established solely on the two teams rising to the top of the County and being the number 1 and 2 teams for the past decade and a half. I think since 2003 until 2017 either Plant or Armwood has been the number 1 team (except 2010). 

This rivalry is built on competition. The two teams year in and year out battle for bragging rights. Sometimes to advance in the playoffs. But whoever won this game was crowned Hillsborough County Champs (unofficially. Lol.)

i cant think of any rivalry (maybe STA vs Lakeland in the playoffs and finals) that was created just from competitiveness. 

1 hour ago, nolebull813 said:

Usually a rivalry is built naturally. The only teams in town. Like when Hillsborough and Plant were the only 2 teams in the city for a while. 2 neighboring Counties when they are the only show in town. (Think Hardee/Desoto) Or when a new school opens up close by. Like when Armwood opened to relieve Brandon High. Did you know that Armwood used to have maroon in their school colors and uniforms to pay homage to Brandon? 

But Plant vs Armwood is a unique rivalry for the fact the rivalry was established solely on the two teams rising to the top of the County and being the number 1 and 2 teams for the past decade and a half. I think since 2003 until 2017 either Plant or Armwood has been the number 1 team (except 2010). 

This rivalry is built on competition. The two teams year in and year out battle for bragging rights. Sometimes to advance in the playoffs. But whoever won this game was crowned Hillsborough County Champs (unofficially. Lol.)

i cant think of any rivalry (maybe STA vs Lakeland in the playoffs and finals) that was created just from competitiveness. 

Like you say, I can't think of any rivalry quite like it.  That rivalry has to be one of the best things that ever happened for football in the Tampa area.  Seems like there was about a 25 year stretch between the 70's and 90's where football there was pretty quiet.  There could have been some great rivalries between Polk and Hillsborough...war of I-4 kinda stuff.  Lakeland vs Armwood...for years I lusted after that one.

1 hour ago, nolebull813 said:

Rivalries are created because teams play each other yearly and a history develops.  Competitive rivalries are usually short lived because one or the other falls off or they stop meeting up every year in the playoffs.  

31 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

Rivalries are created because teams play each other yearly and a history develops.  Competitive rivalries are usually short lived because one or the other falls off or they stop meeting up every year in the playoffs.  

That is one of the casualties of the additional classifications.  Back in the day, certain rivalries developed because of the way the playoff paths were aligned.  Imagine the playoff rivalry we could have right now between St Thomas and Carol City/NW/Central.  It likely would have happened back in the day when there were fewer classes.  

4 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Dillard vs glades central 01-06 I believe both teams respect the hell out of each other.

Dillard vs plantation

dillard vs Boyd Anderson 

Dillard vs st Thomas (the 90’s)