What Could 7A Seedings/Region Finals Look Like Next Year?

OldSchoolLion

2 hours ago, FL_HS_football said:

I've never really dove into this to be completely honest in the past, other than feeling like we had too many classifications. The travel thing just stuck out to me this time, primarily because there are ample 7A schools in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pinellas, Polk, and Sarasota counties to avoid this potential scenario in as far as travel is concerned. Wondering if the whole district concept has out lived its usefulness and if what needs to be done is something along the lines of what Georgia does with regions only?

Georgia also has teams from deep in South Georgia traveling to Atlanta area in first and second round of playoffs

5 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Georgia also has teams from deep in South Georgia traveling to Atlanta area in first and second round of playoffs

They also only have 48 teams total in their largest classification 7A, 56 in 6A its next largest classification, making travel almost a necessity because of it.  Your southern regions for the top 2 classifications, lack in numbers for those areas as well. almost of your schools in these 2 top classification are in the greater Atlanta Metro. Obviously making each classification with equal numbers wasn't paramount either......

From a fan perspective, the dinosaur days were great.  If you lived in an urban area, it was quite feasible to watch your team play all of its games during the regular season, home or away, without driving too far.  Larger classes and large, "local" districts enabled this.  And you had a good shot of being able to watch your team through the region finals without traveling too far either.

I've always though the hs game was about the kids on the field AND in the stands.  We've made it much more difficult for a kid to go see his favorite team play many "away" games.  Kids didn't care about rankings or power averages back in the day...first and foremost, games were a social event, and most kids could care less who their team was playing.  They got to see kids they grew up with who went to other high schools.  And it was much easier to build a rivalry with a team 5 miles down the road than one 50 miles down the road.

Little kids spent a lot of time around football fields because so many games were local.  And that got some of them fired up about playing when they got to high school.  Because of the current system, some kids may never get to see their team play in a playoff game because their team didn't win a district and dad doesn't have gas money to drive 300 miles round trip. 

So, let's pat ourselves on the back.  Now we have made every game count and have much more exciting matchups...even some on ESPN.  We also have fewer fans in the stands and less kids coming out for football in some areas.  Some of ya'll would be blown away at how many fans some of these local games would get 40-50 years ago.  Maybe we are not as smart as we would like to think we are nowadays.

Well "Old School", your commentary piece above on how things were versus how things have evolved is all good and fine if you're writing a book on a analytical study on the decline of Florida HS football.  BUT If modern day dad doesn't have the money to afford to take little Johnny, to see the local HS football team for a playoff game.......what about the local HS team struggling for numbers for its roster, struggling for fans in its stands for home games, and finally struggling for the funds without negatively impacting other sports programs to send a football team and all its equipment to those same 300 mile round trips right off the bat for a 1st round playoff game?

On 12/15/2018 at 11:12 PM, OldSchoolLion said:

Using a combo of historical performance and power averages from this past season, this will give you an idea of what the 6A playoffs could look like next year.  This is not a prediction.  I'll leave that to you experts.

Region 1

#1 Wekiva 43.90

#2 Navarre 43.10

#3 Fletcher 39.00

#4 Lyman 32.90

#5 Niceville 40.60

#6 Lincoln 39.40

#7 Edgewater 39.00

#8 Crestview 38.30

Region Final - Wekiva vs Edgewater

im curious how you got lyman in there?  out of the entire region that looks like a complete sore thumb out of this group of notriously consistent playoff teams.

16 minutes ago, h8r said:

im curious how you got lyman in there?  out of the entire region that looks like a complete sore thumb out of this group of notriously consistent playoff teams.

Lyman's district contains Winter Springs, Lake Howell, and East River.  I believe Lyman has had more playoff experience than the others, so I picked them.  Please keep in mind, these aren't predictions on my part.  In this case, it was just a guess!  It does point out there are some very weak districts amongst the classes.  Not that it would ever be feasible to completely avoid.     

21 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Lyman's district contains Winter Springs, Lake Howell, and East River.  I believe Lyman has had more playoff experience than the others, so I picked them.  Please keep in mind, these aren't predictions on my part.  In this case, it was just a guess!  It does point out there are some very weak districts amongst the classes.  Not that it would ever be feasible to completely avoid.     

oh i gotcha, that makes sense.  i know east river a 2,3,years ago won like 8 games or so. winter springs and lake howell are bottom feeders, lyman always has DUDES running around, interesting district for sure. 

defintely a weaker district in orlando metro

On 12/17/2018 at 10:09 AM, FL_HS_football said:

Well "Old School", your commentary piece above on how things were versus how things have evolved is all good and fine if you're writing a book on a analytical study on the decline of Florida HS football.  BUT If modern day dad doesn't have the money to afford to take little Johnny, to see the local HS football team for a playoff game.......what about the local HS team struggling for numbers for its roster, struggling for fans in its stands for home games, and finally struggling for the funds without negatively impacting other sports programs to send a football team and all its equipment to those same 300 mile round trips right off the bat for a 1st round playoff game?

I'm all about being fiscally responsible and minimizing expenses like playoff travel.  Where I take issue is when I hear schools complaining about travel and at the same time I see them spending money on what I consider luxuries, ie fancy weight rooms with flat screen TV's.  I see new schools being built today with luxuries we would not have dreamed of years ago.  I hear parents complaining about such things when they have no problem spending hundreds of dollars on the latest electronic gadget.

If travel for a first round playoff game is truly a burden, it opens up questions concerning a LOT of ways our schools are spending money today.  And I've stated in previous posts, I think parents should be taking more of a personal responsibility to support teams in the public school system.  How about making that TV last another year and giving the money to the team to help support playoff travel?  

It's all about priorities.  And if we are worried today about playoff travel costs, why are we not screaming about how our public school system is spending money like it's going out of style on certain things?  We sure ain't living like we are hurting for funds.

If you have to ask about gas mileage of a Rolls Royce, you probably have no business shopping for one.  And if we need to be concerned about the costs of playoff travel costs, we need to rethink our budgets and the way we are allocating funds today.