The Biggest Diss in the Polls?

OldSchoolLion

23 FL teams have won 15+ playoff games over the past 10 years.  In terms of reputation, those programs are rock solid.  Only 4 of those teams, listed below, are not currently ranked.  It's pretty obvious that Plant and Dwyer do not deserve to be ranked.  Prior to last night, Manatee was only 2-3.  But Dr Phillips has had a winning season.  Their two losses came against Apopka and Seminole, two of the top-ranked teams in 8A.

Right or wrong, a lot of teams achieve their rankings through reputation.  That being the case, I don't understand how Dr P, one of the best programs in the state over the past decade, regardless of class, doesn't get any recognition. Vero Beach is ranked #5 in 8A.  They struggled to beat Centennial and AH Delray.  Vero has won 7 playoff games over the past decade...less than one third of that of Dr Phillips...yet Dr P does not even get recognition.  Last season, in a down year, Dr P knocked an undefeated Vero team out of the playoffs.  Last night, Dr P manhandled a ranked Wekiva team that has won a grand total of 5 playoff games over the past decade.   

Probably sounds like I am a Dr P homer.  Trust me, I am not.  And I have nothing but respect for Vero and Wekiva.  I just call 'em how I see 'em.

Plant 

Dr Phillips

Dwyer

Manatee

They got blasted by Edgewater in a KOC.  Blasted by Seminole week 1.  Beat a west orange team who at the time was in disarray by 7 week 3.  Needed a 2 point stop to beat winless Boone 21-20 in week 4.  Was down big to Apopka 21-0 and came back to make it a game.  Beat a terrible Windermere team last week.  So nothing before last night says they should have been getting recognition.

DP coaching staff is excellent.  They always get better as the year goes along.  They made a statement last night in blasting Wekiva.  Hopefully they are starting to click and play better.  

8 minutes ago, badbird said:

They got blasted by Edgewater in a KOC.  Blasted by Seminole week 1.  Beat a west orange team who at the time was in disarray by 7 week 3.  Needed a 2 point stop to beat winless Boone 21-20 in week 4.  Was down big to Apopka 21-0 and came back to make it a game.  Beat a terrible Windermere team last week.  So nothing before last night says they should have been getting recognition.

DP coaching staff is excellent.  They always get better as the year goes along.  They made a statement last night in blasting Wekiva.  Hopefully they are starting to click and play better.  

It's a valid argument.  But I wonder how many ranked teams there are for which we could make the same argument, ie teams riding their reputations of the past. For example, who has Western beaten this year to "earn" their ranking? 

DP has brought their A game the past 10 quarters. They looked like the DP of the past last night.

The Boone game is a major outlier but the team has vastly improved since then. The offense is starting to click as the new QB Givens has gotten more comfortable.

DP has about 9 guys with D1 offers, so the talent is there.

You can view the Wekiva game on youtube here: