Quantcast

Sign in to follow this  
STARaiders2014

Aquinas and Mainland nationally ranked

MaxPreps in their way too early poll has Aquinas at 16, and Mainland at 19. Aquinas has another great squad coming back in 2015 with a state championship coach in Harriot filling the void left by Rocco.

Mainland was one game away from the 6A title game losing to Miami Central. I'm really interested to see how they do this season. Central will be strong again and has a great shot to 4peat in class 6A.

Will be interesting to see where these two teams end up at the end of 2015.

probley I just hope that it isent armwood vs central for like the 5th straight time, but don't know of many teams in north florida in the 6A that can stand against them serval teams from north florida including yours truly are not 6A anymore leaves a huge void in that region

probley I just hope that it isent armwood vs central for like the 5th straight time, but don't know of many teams in north florida in the 6A that can stand against them serval teams from north florida including yours truly are not 6A anymore leaves a huge void in that region

I agree I know both teams are great, but I'd love to see another matchup in the 6A title game

2012 had Columbia and gainsville as top 2 teams in north florida, too bad we fell against Navarre bc it would have been interesting for that 2012 Columbia team against Miami central, probley be a better overall game then these recent armwood vs central games but instead gainsville went and got beaten up

I don't see anyone in the north florida region of 6A that would beat central: gansiville hasnet been the same team since 2012, armwood may be good but are mainly getting there bc of a average opponents overall, ed white may get some reguar season numbers but they have never made it past the third round, and I don't know if the panhandle are fully equipped to win a state title, so not a lot of contenders in the north, unless saint Augustine can get back to their old self

Do you all think Booker T. Washington can beat Aquinas and Central or one or the other.

Yes Booker T can beat both, but will they is the question. Obviously even though Harriott is a proven winner there are still some questions with him being in Year 1 at Aquinas. However, Aquinas can also beat BTW too. The game being at Aquinas is a big help to the Raiders. 

As for Central I think that will be a very tough game, but BTW can win that one just as much as they can lose it. Aquinas, BTW, and Central are three very evenly matched teams this season. 

I'm going with the F-5 Tornadoes by 3. I know they lost some talent but with the pieces they have coming back and the transfers they should be a real contender again. If Booker T. Washington doesn't win the game I still see them making it back to states now Bolles will probably be awaiting them, but then again do we really wanna see a 5 year in a row match-up between the two.

This is just my opinion being that I'm not from the area but I feel that First Coast plays everyone that's of a weak caliber. On year they went 10-0 then lost in the 1st round of the playoffs and the one year they went to states Manatee blew them out 40-0.

well a lot of those teams aren't really good but they dominate them, they look a lot like ed white has the past few years but first coast has more talent across the board then ed white, but considering our struggles to stop ed white past 2 seasons, im a little nervous with first coast, but we have them week 10 and its going to be senior night and in tiger stadium, so mabey that could play a factor for us

I GOT

STA BY 6

41 game Winning Streak Stops here

MC BY 10 Central

National Title is up for grabs for Miami central. Booker T Better watch it this time!

Lol... Smh when you gonna learn muck..

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Proseteye, I was around when OTC was playing those teams, these new OTC teams are not on that level. Don't get me wrong they are good, but they just aren't the same.  In 2005, OTC struggled with Union County (twice) (Union was good then with CJ Spiller) and Pahokee on their way to a 14-0 season. In 2006, OTC goes 13-1 with a loss in the state championship to Pahokee. In 2007, Coach Bell is gone, schedule is upgraded, and OTC struggles to 7-5 including two losses to Newberry and a loss to Union County.  In 2008, OTC goes 12-2 with a loss against Mainland and Pahokee (again). In 2009, OTC goes 9-3 with loses against Bolles, Tampa Catholic, and Gainesville. in 2010, OTC goes 14-0 beats some impressive teams along the way including a Derrick Henry led Yulee team, Bolles, and University School (when University School was doing it's thing). in 2011, OTC goes 7-5 including losing to some local schools (Vanguard, North Marion, Gainesville).  In 2012, OTC goes 8-5. In 2013, OTC  goes 8-4. In 2014, OTC goes  10-2 against a fairly easy schedule to lose to the developing juggernaut of Trinity Christian. In 2015, OTC goes 4-8 (including a loss to Lake Weir) In 2016, OTC goes 4-5. In 2017, OTC goes 5-3 (misses playoffs). In 2018, OTC goes 5-5 (misses playoffs). In 2019, OTC goes 8-4 with an impressive home playoff win against Trinity Christian (Jax). So why go through the last few years, OTC's successes are a long time ago of when they were a dominant beast.  Vanguard: 2004: 2-7 2005: 5-5 2006: 5-5 2007: 2-8 2008: 0-10 2009: 6-6 2010: 10-3 2011: 7-4 2012: 6-6 2013: 5-5 2014: 4-6 2015: 9-3 2016: 10-2 2017: 11-1 2018: 13-1 2019: 9-3 I think partially what has happened is that Vanguard has stabilized it's football program. Notice the worse years of Vanguard coincide with the best years of OTC. There was a reason that OTC was called the Marion County All-Stars for a while. As long as Vanguard continues to have a solid program, OTC won't get the 1 or 2 additional star players they need to make them a state finalist. They will continue to be good, but not able to overcome some of the recruiting powerhouses. Additionally, if you go back to the years of 2B, it was made up of a lot of the larger 1A schools today. You weren't playing Trinity Christian, Pensacola Catholic, Florida High, Chaminade-Madonna to win the state, the competition was easier. It is telling that since they did away with 2B that Trinity has struggled with consistency.
    • Maybe you were not around when the Celtics were able to take on anybody and either defeat them or compete with them. Teams like TCA, Bolles, Jesuit, Gainesville, Vanguard, Pahokee, IMG, East Lake, Palmetto, Madison, University, Booker, and Mainland. All good teams and most of them in higher classifications. So, going up against Chaminade would not be something that is uncharacteristic of the Celtics. I'm really disappointed in Coach Thomas's decision to leave Trinity just when the team was getting ready to make some real noise. He already had the players at Trinity.
    • If you look at Marion County, they have a different situation where all team sports are paid the same as football coaches (except soccer and volleyball). The number has been $5,000 since 2007 and I willing to bet the reason why the basketball coach and the football coach are equal has to do with the work the Vanguard Basketball Coach Haley did in creating a program and pushing for higher pay. 
    • Local Control and Local Decisions (both in Georgia and Florida). It is a hard sell to both school boards and unions to pay a teacher less than 40K and then turn around a pay a football coach 65K for being a "coach," especially when principals and schools are graded not on how good a football program is, but whether the school is an A, B, C, D, or F. Florida as a whole does not support extracurriculars because the people living in the communities haven't been there long. We are a transient state. All the counties that we listed as top pay (Okaloose, Bay, Walton) are panhandle counties. Counties where people have lived in them forever. Where grandma's grandma lived. As a whole, I wonder what percentage of coaches take leadership roles in their local union and push for higher supplements (even if it was incremental of $100 a year). A lot of the unions seem to be led by elementary school teachers who have little experience with the value/importance of coaches.  As for gate... Let's think costs first... 1) Referees: $65 x 5 = $325 per game plus travel stipends 2) Security: $20 x 3 hours x 5 officers = $300 per game 3) Ticket Takers: $25 per game per individual (maybe 6 people): $150 per game 4) Line the Field: $100-200 in supplies per game _____________________________________  $875 per game (and this is a VERY conservative number).  Start adding in: New Jerseys/Pants (once every 2 years) ($140 for a set?) x 80 players Helmets Refurbished every year and replaced every XX years. Practice Gear Balls Pre-Game Meals HUDL Account Coach Polos/Outfits Practice Equipment (tackling dummies, blocking sledds, chutes).  I wish school districts would understand that if you want these boys and girls to representatives of your community than you should pay for them to be just that. Basic equipment and costs should be covered by the school districts. Teams should have to fund raise just in hopes having enough money to travel to a game or hire referees or get jerseys. 
    • It's better because how is trinty Catholic ever going to beat chamme madonna. Union county not beating Madison. But Andrew Thomas is probably going to get some players to try.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Popular Contributors