Quantcast
Jump to content

Desoto hires new coach


Recommended Posts


4 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

What do you got besides Hardee? I got some Desoto stuff but not the old ones. 

Everything I have is as its relates to the Hardee-Desoto rivalry. Some interesting notes I have is that Arcadia had a team in 1908 and played Bartow that same year. Wauchula started playing football in 1909 and Arcadia and Wauchula did play each other that year.  One source has 1922 as the year Arcadia adopted the bulldog as a mascot with blue and white as their school colors.  In the 1920s Arcadia had a win over Lakeland and beat Venice 120-0. It wasn't until the 1930s that Arcadia became Wauchula's rival as we had been playing Winter Haven longer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2021 at 6:43 AM, nolebull813 said:

What do you got besides Hardee? I got some Desoto stuff but not the old ones. 

 

On 3/5/2021 at 11:32 AM, Hwy17 said:

Everything I have is as its relates to the Hardee-Desoto rivalry. Some interesting notes I have is that Arcadia had a team in 1908 and played Bartow that same year. Wauchula started playing football in 1909 and Arcadia and Wauchula did play each other that year.  One source has 1922 as the year Arcadia adopted the bulldog as a mascot with blue and white as their school colors.  In the 1920s Arcadia had a win over Lakeland and beat Venice 120-0. It wasn't until the 1930s that Arcadia became Wauchula's rival as we had been playing Winter Haven longer.

• Arcadia's first known team was 1908. A local newspaper said they played Bartow on July 25 that year. However, the score to that game is unknown.

• Arcadia played Wauchula in 1909. Arcadia beat Wauchula in that game by a score of 21-0. Arcadia also scheduled a game against a Fort DeSoto (which by the way is in present-day Pinellas County, no relation to DeSoto County) for Thanksgiving 1909. However, Arcadia canceled this game at the last second (Thanksgiving morning) and Fort DeSoto then later traveled up to Lakeland to play Lakeland. In the game against Lakeland, Fort DeSoto walked off the field with 1 minute left in the game because they didn't agree with the referee's decision to let Lakeland keep the ball.

• When I had a free trial at newspapers.com, I remember seeing a couple mentions of an Arcadia football team in the 1910s also. I remember finding mentions of an Arcadia team in 1916, 1917, and 1918. There is a headline in The Tampa Times from November 25, 1918 that reads: "Chick Harley Will Lead the Eleven From Arcadia." I also remember reading about an Arcadia football player making an All-Star team in the 1910s, can't remember the year. On Google's News Archive, I remember seeing mentions of Arcadia playing Lakeland in the late 1910s and early 1920s. An October 15, 1921 newspaper article from a Lakeland local newspaper talks about Lakeland beating Arcadia for the first time since 1916.

• Arcadia/DeSoto used to have a big rivalry with Fort Myers. It was played every single year on Armistice Day from 1921-1941.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, The Heartland Archives said:

 

• Arcadia's first known team was 1908. A local newspaper said they played Bartow on July 25 that year. However, the score to that game is unknown.

• Arcadia played Wauchula in 1909. Arcadia beat Wauchula in that game by a score of 21-0. Arcadia also scheduled a game against a Fort DeSoto (which by the way is in present-day Pinellas County, no relation to DeSoto County) for Thanksgiving 1909. However, Arcadia canceled this game at the last second (Thanksgiving morning) and Fort DeSoto then later traveled up to Lakeland to play Lakeland. In the game against Lakeland, Fort DeSoto walked off the field with 1 minute left in the game because they didn't agree with the referee's decision to let Lakeland keep the ball.

• When I had a free trial at newspapers.com, I remember seeing a couple mentions of an Arcadia football team in the 1910s also. I remember finding mentions of an Arcadia team in 1916, 1917, and 1918. There is a headline in The Tampa Times from November 25, 1918 that reads: "Chick Harley Will Lead the Eleven From Arcadia." I also remember reading about an Arcadia football player making an All-Star team in the 1910s, can't remember the year. On Google's News Archive, I remember seeing mentions of Arcadia playing Lakeland in the late 1910s and early 1920s. An October 15, 1921 newspaper article from a Lakeland local newspaper talks about Lakeland beating Arcadia for the first time since 1916.

• Arcadia/DeSoto used to have a big rivalry with Fort Myers. It was played every single year on Armistice Day from 1921-1941.

I have an account. I just read that article from Nov 25 1918. It was aviation students from college in Jacksonville. Lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 10:22 PM, nolebull813 said:

In 1921 I read a comment that calls the Arcadia team, the aviators. It doesn’t specify high school or college 

Back during that time, Arcadia had both a high school team and a college team. So when you're reading articles from the late 1910s and early 1920s, it's sometimes hard to tell if it's referring to the high school team or the college team. What's even more confusing, is that both the high school team and the college team played their games at Carlstrom Field during this time. Carlstrom Field is a former military base in DeSoto County that was established in 1917 after the United States enter World War I. Carlstrom Field was used by the military in both World War I and World War II. Nowadays, Carlstrom Field is basically a ghost town and if you do a YouTube search you can find a video of someone exploring the former airfield.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


×
×
  • Create New...