Week 1 updates

cribboy305

33 minutes ago, PinellasFB said:

My caveat is I watched the highlights and not the whole game so I could have gotten a misleading impression but from the 15 minutes of highlights, Gulliver was making tons of big plays only to throw a pick 6 or fumble 6 near the goal line resulting in a couple of 14 point swings.  It seems ludicrous to suggest two teams are close to each other after a 38-0 score but I really do think Gulliver Prep could win a rematch if the ball breaks the other way for them.  They didnt seem physically overmatched in other words.

They could definitely win a rematch. Rockledge just forced more turnovers. 2 of which came near the goal line. But you can watch the full game on Brevard Sports Network Facebook page or YouTube channel. 

21 hours ago, skyway said:

I agree. We have to see how Lowndes and Los Al fare the rest of the way, but at the moment AH should be very close to the top of the state rankings.

From those 2 convincing wins you would think AHP would be in the top 5 and their challenging schedule will give them a chance to prove it going forward.  But it goes to show you how inconsistent Maxpreps can be when Central (top 5 team) beats the #1 team IMG  and only goes to #2 in the STATE rankings behind CMD #1 .  Yet the same Maxpreps from that same showing moves Central to the #4 spot NATIONALLY and CMD to #12.  Hard to understand that logic. 

There is no logic.  According to MaxPreps, their Top 25 national football rankings are a projection based on who MaxPreps staff writers believe will finish the year as the No. 1-ranked team in the country. This is based on judgement, and there is human thought behind the rankings. Their staff looks at past results, game film, talent, strength of schedule, and other factors when determining the rankings.  State computer rankings are just that, computer rankings utilizing “the huge number of game results stored in the MaxPreps database”, presumably incorporated into a super-secret computer algorithm stored in a sealed vault at MaxPreps’ headquarters in El Dorado Hills, California.  Yes, the same algorithms the FHSAA has entrusted for the selection of at-large teams and playoff seeding.  Fortunately, we have been assured that this will “work itself out” by the end of the season.

4 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

From those 2 convincing wins you would think AHP would be in the top 5 and their challenging schedule will give them a chance to prove it going forward.  But it goes to show you how inconsistent Maxpreps can be when Central (top 5 team) beats the #1 team IMG  and only goes to #2 in the STATE rankings behind CMD #1 .  Yet the same Maxpreps from that same showing moves Central to the #4 spot NATIONALLY and CMD to #12.  Hard to understand that logic. 

There is a Maxpreps human top 25, and a "Maxpreps" computer ratings which is actually the calpreps computer. The computer heavily favors teams from California and Texas. This also means games against those teams (and teams that play those teams) tend to give much more weight. That computer system is what will be used to determine some playoff seeding. Pretty crappy IMO.