IMG at Oxbridge, Thurs Oct 13

mbhs69

I assumed that Antuan Burgess was the best player for Oxbridge and that he was the player who was injured. He seems to have the best stats, anyway. Traivon Leonard has very few stats so I wonder how he can be their top player? 

With Flanagan and Carol City, they were both tight games. 7-6 and 14-7. So Oxbridge must have a pretty good defense. However, I don't know if they have a good enough offense to score very much against IMG. I do know that IMG has the offensive power to score big against any team. 

Burgess is a young and a up and coming solid RB but he is not on the level of a Leonard at his own position (primarily a DB) yet. You could debate it many ways.... Remember Leonard likely has very few stats because he has played very few games this year.  He is also the best DB and you know how that works when you are the best DB sometimes....they don't even bother throwing your way.  Oxbridge has several very good players.  Leonard stood out to me the most early season.  He has offers from Arkansas, Auburn, Boston College, Mississippi State, LSU, Stanford, Notre Dame, Miami, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Tennessee, and is a verbal commit to North Carolina - just to name a few.

Oxbridge has a great Defense.  Flanagan's Offense when talking about strong teams is not good,  Carol City at the time was not clicking well offensively. Flanagan's Defense and Carol City's Defense are close but not at the level of IMG IMO.  Offensively, IMG is on a different level then Flanagan and Carol City.  Particularly with their OL.  

Size and Depth will likely do Oxbridge in by the mid 3rd quarter.  Carol City played a great defensive game versus IMG but it was almost as if IMG simply knew Carol City would eventually give in in the 2nd half.  IMG really didn't show much versus Carol City. 

David ... meet Goliath.   Oxbridge is an exceptionally well-conditioned team, and they'll need that since they have little to no depth,  and young too.  But once IMG starts rotating in those 5 and 4 star fresh horses later on, somebody's likely to be on their heels.   Whatta they got on the roster .... like 93 players suited up?   Ox is gonna need more real estate on the visitor's sideline.   And Ox has what ... maybe 50 on the roster, including injured?   That's probably close to 20% of the entire male student body for that 3A school.  Even conditioned teams get gassed when the time of possession is not in your favor.  Those Ox kids gotta dig deep and play the game of their young lives.   Like the DI said about pain in boot camp, "if you don't mind - it don't matter".  It's an opportunity all real players dream off,  but few ever get.    No balls .... no blue chips,  so if ya gotta shot,  take it!!

Didn't starters play whole game?

Yeah, pretty sure they took the game seriously like the AHP game last year. IMG has depth so they rotate here and there against anyone, but they were down for a good bit that game so they were trying. Their rotations are a reason they are able to wear down teams (same with STA for that measure).

One thing another poster made a point of in this Oxbridge/IMG matchup is this will be IMG's last opponent that is a legit National ranked team.....So they may want to make a statement with it! :o

Yes good point. I did hear from a Gorman fan that IMG would challenge the #1 or 2 ranked teams at the end of the season. He made it sound like BG would accept if they win out.

So we might still have another left in the bag.

I'm definitely making the drive up to West Palm Beach for this one.  First time I will get to see IMG in person actually....  Looking forward to see how big this Ascenders OL really is up close.  I know there will be a point before or during the game when I see a few Oxbridge parents with a look of " What have we gotten ourselves into?" on their face....LOL.  Should be fun!  

I'll take IMG and give anybody 10 points. That's not taking anything away from Oxbridge but the size of IMG up front will take a toll and their backups are as good as the starters. If they had a really good offensive system they would be freakishly good. Could you imagine a Rush Probst type offense with that talent. Can't see anyone touching them all year and I wish they would lose every game. Unfortunately it just isn't going to happen.