Sunshine State Athletic Conference transforms into the Sunshine State Athletic Association

Joshua Wilson

The SSAC is now the SSAA. This should not come as a surprise to anyone as they have been growing a lot over the last few years and have added more sports since starting as just a football-only conference in 2008. 

STORY: https://floridahsfootball.com/2023/08/16/sunshine-state-athletic-conference-transforms-into-the-sunshine-state-athletic-association/

I noted that the SSAA is dedicated to "maintaining unrivaled parity among its member schools".  Not sure how you can accomplish this, but I was skeptical of those on this board that believed schools would leave the FHSAA because of the inequities of the rent-a-transfer environment.   Now I think they may be on to something. 

17 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

For teams making the complete jump, will they now not be associated with the FHSAA anymore? Will this be an alternative league than the FHSAA altogether? 

The new FHSAA Bylaws resulting from HB 225 now allow a school to be a member "by sport", as opposed to "full membership".  So a school can be a member of another organization (SSAA) for certain sports, and compete in the FHSAA in other sports, at their choosing.  

4 minutes ago, Dr. D said:

The new FHSAA Bylaws resulting from HB 225 now allow a school to be a member "by sport", as opposed to "full membership".  So a school can be a member of another organization (SSAA) for certain sports, and compete in the FHSAA in other sports, at their choosing.  

Thanks Doctor D. You always know just what to say!