Coach Pay

gatorman-uf

The Orlando Sentinel has an article about Coach Pay and the "Florida Coaches Coalition" is talking about it as well.
Every few years, I post the updated supplements of coaches for all sports, and yes I do believe that coaches are underpaid, but I hate how they talk about it.

Most head football coaches are also teachers.
Most head football coaches are Physical Education Teachers.
Most head football coaches are teaching "weight training" or "football" classes.
Basically, their "teacher" salary is an extension of their job as football coaches compared to say the volleyball or basketball or soccer coach who is teaching a "core" subject.
Most football coaches are not also the English teacher grading 100s of essays every week or the Algebra I teacher who must get kids to pass a state End of Course exam in order for the kid to graduate. Their 8 to 3:30 job is preparing their players. Even then, many coaches have less than a full load of courses compared to their fellow co-worker at the school. All of this are benefits not available to the average teacher at their school. Coaches don't want these things mentioned because they know that they have it better in that regard their fellow teacher. To then turn around and complain that they aren't getting paid enough seems small. So when they say they are only getting paid a $1 an hour, I am insulted.
Go to most school districts employment websites, the PE jobs fill fast. The English, Science, and Math jobs remain open for months. Why? Because the pay is not worth the headache in those positions. People with science and math degrees can make more money in the private market than teaching. If I am a parent, I want my district to hire those core teachers first, before increasing the pay of the coaches.
Next, do I appreciate the coaches advocating for better pay, absolutely. They need to organize within their district, join their unions, and advocate loudly both at school board meetings and in their unions. But many don't want to join the union, failing to understand that the easiest way to get better pay is through organizing. Why is the union going to advocate on your behalf if you aren't going to join? Coaches don't like free-riders on their teams, why should unions?

One of the questions that never seems to get answered is what is the "right" amount to pay coaches?
Let us assume that they are teaching 4-5 PE classes, they are the head coach of the football team. We will assume they run a year round program of weightlifting after school (2 hours a day for 20 weeks or 200 hours) and during the summer months for 7on7 (we will say 320 hours over 8 weeks).  What is the right salary? Let's assume that all of the gate, concessions, an parking money stayed with the football team and didn't get doled out to any other sport or club, how much would our coaches actually make considering the lackluster support that high school sports get from most of our communities.

I can attest to my time as a coach i taught AP American History and AP Psychology our OC Taught Algebra 1 

our DC Taught Gov/Eco 

The Pe coaches at the school were the head basketball coach and two track coaches 

so we can not generalize a situation  for paying coaches. they deserve way more than what they get.