Lakeland is the reason we have super teams in Florida

nolebull813

On 12/19/2023 at 8:11 AM, Dr. D said:

I think the original proposal included an 8-team Open Division for all the team sports.   I'd be curious if they consulted with the coaches in all these team sports, but this way the FHSAA can say they aren't singling out the football elite (even though they are).

Would you include IMG in the 8?

On 12/19/2023 at 9:33 AM, nolebull813 said:

I think an open division is a good idea only if you cut the classes down substantially. Because it would be a mockery of biblical proportions if we took the 8-16 best teams in the state put them in 1 bracket and then had 7-9 more brackets of nothing but the good to average to below average teams. The champions would be atrocious. It would be an embarrassment beyond repair. A stain on the sport. I pray it never comes to that 

I'm not sure there are 16 teams capable of competing in an open bracket... maybe 5 or 6 teams could give it a good shot and have a chance of winning when STA and Chaminade are hurting from injuries or illnesses. Would the open include IMG?

IMG, STA, MC, AHP, and Chaminade would be the real contenders. Then you have teams like Lakeland, Venice, Cocoa, BTW, etc... that get hot some seasons that might get through a few rounds but then STA and Chaminade will always be waiting for them in the semi's...

justsayin.

53 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Would you include IMG in the 8?

Interesting question.  Would depend on how the FHSAA wanted to interpret their eligibility.  IMG was #1 in the MaxPreps Florida rankings at the end of the regular season, so that technically would have qualified them for the Open 8 as it was proposed. But IMG is listed as "Independent" in this newest reclassification, so the FHSAA could say that you have to compete in the state series to qualify for the Open 8.  So I think the FHSAA could manipulate the rules to exclude or include IMG as they desire. 

5 minutes ago, Dr. D said:

Interesting question.  Would depend on how the FHSAA wanted to interpret their eligibility.  IMG was #1 in the MaxPreps Florida rankings at the end of the regular season, so that technically would have qualified them for the Open 8 as it was proposed. But IMG is listed as "Independent" in this newest reclassification, so the FHSAA could say that you have to compete in the state series to qualify for the Open 8.  So I think the FHSAA could manipulate the rules to exclude or include IMG as they desire. 

If you have a Open division, wouldn't it be open enrollment also? So 8 super teams make it to play in a brutal playoff. I'd want to watch the games.

On 12/22/2023 at 9:01 PM, Cat_Scratch said:

I'm not sure there are 16 teams capable of competing in an open bracket... maybe 5 or 6 teams could give it a good shot and have a chance of winning when STA and Chaminade are hurting from injuries or illnesses. Would the open include IMG?

IMG, STA, MC, AHP, and Chaminade would be the real contenders. Then you have teams like Lakeland, Venice, Cocoa, BTW, etc... that get hot some seasons that might get through a few rounds but then STA and Chaminade will always be waiting for them in the semi's...

justsayin.

I'm Soo tired of hearing about chaminade!!!! 

Jax tca beats them everytime we play them ... Of course this year we probably would have lost .. but y'all act like they are more dominant then us... We moved to 5a in the 17-18 and 18-19 season... We went the second round 17-18 and we went to the simi finals 18-19 season.. i guarantee you we would have beat chaminade those years!!! They only been running up the ships because we left there class for a few years