final classifications?

h8r

6 hours ago, Dr. D said:

Would any of our metro posters be able to identify Metro teams which were handicapped by the old Metro-Suburban classification, but now will be able to make deep playoff runs under the new system?  For example, which formerly beaten down 2M teams will develop overnight into 2A or 3A contenders?  My contention is a 3-7 team in 2M will be a 3-7 team in 2A or 3A, but I'm ready to be proven wrong.  Or they may have to come up with other excuses now that things are more "fair". 

The issue isn’t any of that. The issue is the classes being watered down making the playoffs largely uninteresting until all the fat and filler is cut off. There shouldn’t be 3-7 teams ever in a playoff

My issue is that the metro proponents have been whining for 2 years that the enrollment spreads in the Metro classifications were unjustly impacting the fortunes of metro teams.  Now that they have gotten their wish with enrollment-based classification, I am curious as to which teams will see a change in fortune as a result.  My contention is Miami Central will still be Miami Central, and North Miami Beach (for example) will still be North Miami Beach, regardless of classification system.  So what is to be derived from changing the classification system, other than more blowouts in the playoffs?

As to your premise regarding the number of classes in general, I would agree that a playoff system in which more than 50% of the teams in a class make the playoffs suggests there are either too many classes or too many playoff spots awarded within a given class.

On 1/24/2024 at 3:05 PM, nolebull813 said:

That’s less than 60 teams per class. That’s an all-time embarrassment.

Like Florida, Texas just completed its bi-annual reclassification.  For comparison...  Florida has 471 schools and 8 classifications, averaging 59 schools per class.  53% of Florida schools will qualify for the playoffs.  Texas has 1,104 schools and 10 playoff classifications, averaging 110 schools per class.  58% of Texas schools will qualify for the playoffs.  Another renowned state, Georgia, averages 52 schools per class, and a staggering 62% of schools qualify for the playoffs (talk about a watered-down state).  So depending on your opinion, the situation in Florida could be better, or it could be worse, from a competitive standpoint. 

5 minutes ago, Dr. D said:

Like Florida, Texas just completed its bi-annual reclassification.  For comparison...  Florida has 471 schools and 8 classifications, averaging 59 schools per class.  53% of Florida schools will qualify for the playoffs.  Texas has 1,104 schools and 10 playoff classifications, averaging 110 schools per class.  58% of Texas schools will qualify for the playoffs.  Another renowned state, Georgia, averages 52 schools per class, and a staggering 62% of schools qualify for the playoffs (talk about a watered-down state).  So depending on your opinion, the situation in Florida could be better, or it could be worse, from a competitive standpoint. 

Comparison is the thief of happiness 

14 minutes ago, Dr. D said:

I'm no less happy for the effort, or the knowledge.  

Pretty sad that the only way to put a positive spin on it is to point to the worst case situations in the country.

It would be like confronting your child on a C grade on their report card and they say “it’s no big deal. There are kids with D’s and F’s in the class!” 

31 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

Pretty sad that the only way to put a positive spin on it is to point to the worst case situations in the country.

It would be like confronting your child on a C grade on their report card and they say “it’s no big deal. There are kids with D’s and F’s in the class!” 

Trust me, rhese are far from the worst case scenarios.  Texas is definitely on the high end for schools/class.  Florida and Georgia are in the middle of the Bell curve distribution for schools/class.  

On 1/27/2024 at 12:08 PM, Dr. D said:

My issue is that the metro proponents have been whining for 2 years that the enrollment spreads in the Metro classifications were unjustly impacting the fortunes of metro teams.  Now that they have gotten their wish with enrollment-based classification, I am curious as to which teams will see a change in fortune as a result.  My contention is Miami Central will still be Miami Central, and North Miami Beach (for example) will still be North Miami Beach, regardless of classification system.  So what is to be derived from changing the classification system, other than more blowouts in the playoffs?

As to your premise regarding the number of classes in general, I would agree that a playoff system in which more than 50% of the teams in a class make the playoffs suggests there are either too many classes or too many playoff spots awarded within a given class.

The whole metro suburb idea was a farce. They sold it as way to increase parity and it was a joke because it only benefited a few elite suburb schools who already made the finals or semis in old system and now got a minor league B title. It made the suburb class second class citizens.  Throw in the sneaky way they got Polk and Lee county to be suburb schools by changing the plan from population to population density and I see why they dumped that pig with lipstick as soon as possible. Good riddance. Go to real reform by promotion and demotion and we will have real parity. 

I may have an unpopular opinion on this subject, but I really don't have a problem with more than 50% of the teams making the playoffs.   Half of those teams will likely lose their first round game, many by large margins (although the teams on the winning side of the blowouts, if smart, will rest starters and give quality playing time to kids that have paid their dues all season and/or kids who will be returning next season).  But if some relatively weak teams get to play a single playoff game, so what?  The kids get to play one more high school football game than they otherwise would have.   I don't have a problem with that.  More gate money to share (assuming it doesn't all go the FHSAA, which I don't believe is the case for early-round games).  Boosters get to sell more hot dogs at the concession stand.  The bands and cheerleaders get one more Friday night under the lights.  And thirty to forty years from now, when the kids from the losing team are overweight and out-of-shape, they can go on a high school football message board and brag about the time they played in a high school playoff game.   Again, I'm OK with that. 

3 hours ago, Perspective said:

I may have an unpopular opinion on this subject, but I really don't have a problem with more than 50% of the teams making the playoffs.   Half of those teams will likely lose their first round game, many by large margins (although the teams on the winning side of the blowouts, if smart, will rest starters and give quality playing time to kids that have paid their dues all season and/or kids who will be returning next season).  But if some relatively weak teams get to play a single playoff game, so what?  The kids get to play one more high school football game than they otherwise would have.   I don't have a problem with that.  More gate money to share (assuming it doesn't all go the FHSAA, which I don't believe is the case for early-round games).  Boosters get to sell more hot dogs at the concession stand.  The bands and cheerleaders get one more Friday night under the lights.  And thirty to forty years from now, when the kids from the losing team are overweight and out-of-shape, they can go on a high school football message board and brag about the time they played in a high school playoff game.   Again, I'm OK with that. 

They could all just play bowl games. The product on the field is poor. The revenue comes from fans. And they are intentionally watering down the product. Imagine if the NFL said they were gonna triple the commercials because they make more money that way. Once again, the consumer suffers because of greed. 

5 hours ago, Floridaatlantic1 said:

The whole metro suburb idea was a farce. They sold it as way to increase parity and it was a joke because it only benefited a few elite suburb schools who already made the finals or semis in old system and now got a minor league B title. It made the suburb class second class citizens.  Throw in the sneaky way they got Polk and Lee county to be suburb schools by changing the plan from population to population density and I see why they dumped that pig with lipstick as soon as possible. Good riddance. Go to real reform by promotion and demotion and we will have real parity. 

Agree 100 percent. This made it to where annual 3rd and 4th round losers were state champions. They were minor league titles. At best they were “area” titles and not “state” titles.