Great article on how Daytona Mainland has maintained a rock solid program

BrowardHandicapper

Thanks for the post BrowardHandicapper. The only thing that I would add, which wasn't really mentioned, is besides the longevity of the coaching staff they are also ex-Daytona Mainland, Seabreeze, and/or Bethune-Cookman players themselves. 90% of them played here locally as young men. It's a family thing. Mothers, fathers, aunts, uncles, cousins, bothers,sisters, etc, most all went to school here also. Many teams claim a family brotherhood. At Mainland it's real. And it can never be left out when explaining or trying to understand the program's success...Bucforever

How does the Mainland alumni, fan base and community feel about not making it to states every year. I know Central is out of the playoffs but you still have either Carol City or Northwestern and they're not pushovers by any means. Personally I'd be tired of going undefeated but get to the 3rd or 4th round and can never advance. I know everyone is putting Mainland in Orlando but I'm waiting first.

How does the Mainland alumni, fan base and community feel about not making it to states every year. I know Central is out of the playoffs but you still have either Carol City or Northwestern and they're not pushovers by any means. Personally I'd be tired of going undefeated but get to the 3rd or 4th round and can never advance. I know everyone is putting Mainland in Orlando but I'm waiting first.

Well Slick, it's like this. I'm an older gentleman. One among many alumni to have followed the program for many many seasons. Only Lakeland High has a longer running playoff streak among public's then Mainland, 24yrs vs 23yrs. I know how good this diehard fan has had it. Sure it's tough running into one of the top teams in America year in and year out. In '04 and '06 Lakeland did the same thing in the semi's over there. To be in the mix on a yearly basis trump's all the ups and downs. I couldn't be more proud of the players and the coaches and what they have accomplished. They'll get another title. I just hope to be there. Bucforever.

Madison County must be right behind you guys with 21 or 22 years straight.

M&S, Madison's streak ended in 2013 at 18 in a row (FHSAA Record Book) **

Palm Bay's steak at 18 ended in 2014.

Current Consecutive Playoff Streak: St Thomas-26, Bolles-24, Lakeland-24, Mainland-23.

** Record Book is not always correct. I've sent email to FHSAA  when something was wrong and it was corrected within days. See something ? 

Now that would be a good game to watch Madison vs Mainland 

Tiger, We've been to Boot Hill, and it wasn't pretty. Lost 25-14 in 2005. Turned the ball over on three consecutive second half possessions and had trouble stopping that powerful ground game. In 2006 we got revenge at home 21-19. Also played a great spring game against them here in Daytona(2003). Great program, great hospitable fans..... Also saw them here in Daytona against Seabreeze, with Qb Xavier Lee (FSU), torching the Madison "D" and watch Madison's running backs stomp all over the Sandcrabs for hundreds of yards. Madison won a 56-42 shootout. It was one of the most exciting games I've ever seen.

Madison has a long history of not only playing bigger schools but for beating them

Very good program that has a huge habit of beating great teams

Very true Columbia. Although at the state championships in Gainesvilles (2003) they ran into the top Florida team in the state that year (IMO) Chaminade-Madonna. Madison had nothing for them.

Dan, I was there for every one of those games you mentioned.  That on with Xavier Lee was a doozie.  I have never seen a high school team throw the ball as well as they did.  Lee was special.  And yes we have taken our lumps in the championship games.  Chaminade was a machine.  There was another on I don't want to remember either.  Would love to see our teams match up again.  On a side note I know I am getting old and my memory is starting to fail me but I don't remember missing the playoffs in 2013.  I know the last few years we have been down some but could have sworn we still made the playoffs.  I could be wrong.

Dan, I was there for every one of those games you mentioned.  That on with Xavier Lee was a doozie.  I have never seen a high school team throw the ball as well as they did.  Lee was special.  And yes we have taken our lumps in the championship games.  Chaminade was a machine.  There was another on I don't want to remember either.  Would love to see our teams match up again.  On a side note I know I am getting old and my memory is starting to fail me but I don't remember missing the playoffs in 2013.  I know the last few years we have been down some but could have sworn we still made the playoffs.  I could be wrong.

M&S, I was at those games too, except the '03 spring game. State track meet was going on in Gainesville at that one. The 2013 4A North bracket has Fort White as district champ, and Taylor(Perry) County as runner up. Like I said before the FHSAA does make mistakes and they will change the record book if you bring it to their attention. Good luck to the Cowboys.