Apopka 26 Mainland 14

Dan in Daytona

Up 26-0 with 6:30 left in the 3rd quarter, Apopka Head coach Rick Darlington took his foot off the gas. He knew he had the better team tonight. No need to fake the power sweep anymore and throw to Blue Darters wide open behind Mainland db's. Or run misdirection to the weakside and have his backs take it to the house for six. When Mainland wasn't shooting themselves in the foot early on, with untimely penalties, they were did in by some of the strangest offensive play calling ever witnessed by a living Buccaneer. Dozens in the stands, that's right more then 24 of us, couldn't believe our eyes. The muttering of "WTF was that" reverberated through the visiting stands. Any coach, of an upcoming Mainland opponent, that claims he saw a pattern or logic in the play calling is a damn liar. With Apopka burning the clock and their offensive play calling at half throttle, the Bucs pulled within two scores with 5 minutes to go. With time running down we continued to RUN THE BALL, tick,tick. Funny thing is Mainland hadn't been able to RUN THE BALL for the games first 43 minutes. Did I mention this is also the largest offensive line in the history of Mainland High. Problem is they don't play big. Down and dirty is non existent. I got a 4 bedroom house and none of my pillows are this soft. I apologize for being a jerk. Show me something OL......please......Buc Forever

Nice evaluation Dan,  I really believe that Mainland is a good team.  I have been at Apopka many years and I think this is our best defense that we have had even through the championship years.  Our offense lacks a true H back for blocking and our running backs are on the smaller size, though very fast.  Coach Darlington does a good job getting the most out of our players.  Your defense was really good.  Big upfront and strong.  If it wasn't for the big play and turnovers the game might have a different outcome.   Here's to a good season for both teams!

1 hour ago, gobluedarters said:

Nice evaluation Dan,  I really believe that Mainland is a good team.  I have been at Apopka many years and I think this is our best defense that we have had even through the championship years.  Our offense lacks a true H back for blocking and our running backs are on the smaller size, though very fast.  Coach Darlington does a good job getting the most out of our players.  Your defense was really good.  Big upfront and strong.  If it wasn't for the big play and turnovers the game might have a different outcome.   Here's to a good season for both teams!

Welcome to the board goblue. Good to have another point of view. 

2 minutes ago, ezgoingchris said:

I was at the game too.  The Apopka defense is really good.  Offense has big guys up front and the running backs are fast.  Coach D does a great job mixing the plays up as Dan said and keep the opposing defense on their heels.  Gonna be fun watching the Blue Darters this year!

Welcome to the board 

Who apopka play this week

Having played both teams, Apopka in the spring and a two quarter scrimmage with Mainland, I can honestly say they both have the biggest Oline guys I've ever seen, difference is the Apopka guys are more physical. I will say the two interior lineman for Mainland, #91 and # 44, are HUGE and will do well stuffing the runs inside. When you play two quality teams it's usually the team with the least amount of mistakes that wins and it seems Apopka was that team. Both teams will make deep runs in the playoffs! I just wish we could have played our KOC game, mother nature took that one away from us!! However it would have been nice to have gotten the call BEFORE we drove to the game, appears DeLand already knew since they didn't even bother to show up!!!

7 minutes ago, TitanUp said:

Having played both teams, Apopka in the spring and a two quarter scrimmage with Mainland, I can honestly say they both have the biggest Oline guys I've ever seen, difference is the Apopka guys are more physical. I will say the two interior lineman for Mainland, #91 and # 44, are HUGE and will do well stuffing the runs inside. When you play two quality teams it's usually the team with the least amount of mistakes that wins and it seems Apopka was that team. Both teams will make deep runs in the playoffs! I just wish we could have played our KOC game, mother nature took that one away from us!! However it would have been nice to have gotten the call BEFORE we drove to the game, appears DeLand already knew since they didn't even bother to show up!!!

Agree. It would have been nice.

Apopka too advantage of its chances; Mainland failed to score on a few critical plays deep in Apopka territory. That was pretty much the difference in the game. 

That block on the sideline at the 17:13 mark is a new penalty this year. From the 1900's to 2016 it was legal. Clearly block was face to face. I understand the new "protection rule." Defender didn't see the block, therefore it is illegal. Bad for the Bucs, but good for the health of young players.

I can see helmet to helmet called on that but that is a bull shit rule for blindside.  It isn't Mainlands fault the Apopka player wasn't looking and the block was not behind the play.  That block was needed.  What is he suppose to do tap him on the helmet first to get his attention and then block him or stop in front of him and get run over?  Pussification of America