Class 3A Week 4/5 Games

SPCjessica2004

I hope everybody is doing well after Hurricane Irma! We're doing fine- wind damage and loss of power, but back at it!  With the amount of cancellations I don't think it's a good idea to update any rankings yet; however, there's a big game I wanted to throw out there for tomorrow (9/18).

Tampa Berkeley Prep at Lakeland Christian

This game will be televised live by Spectrum as their game of the week. The last few years these teams have played it's been a very competitive game. I think this year could be competitive but LCS has only played 1 half of 1 game so far. Berkeley Prep has played 2 full games.  I'm not really sure what to expect as it's a Monday game. LCS has a strong QB/RB combination, but Berkeley Prep (as has been stated before) has a huge offensive line and a plethora of running backs they can throw at the vikings.  Both teams are solid on defense. It'll make for a good Monday night game.

It was also announced earlier today that Melbourne Central Catholic has agreed to travel to Tampa to take on Tampa Catholic on 9/22. Since the game wasn't originally on either teams schedule there are no points awarded for winning or losing, but credit both teams for making this game happen. There is lots of good football on Friday 9/22 as Chaminade will be hosting American Heritage Plantation as well.

I'm going to reserve this thread and update it after tomorrow and post updated rankings and thoughts on Friday's games on Tuesday. Berkeley Prep is currently ranked #5 in 3A in the AP Poll and after TC was drummed by CCC, is probably the #5 team in 3A in all polls if you did polls right now.

What an amazing game last night between Lakeland Christian School and Tampa Berkeley Prep. LCS won 48-40. LCS has a very dangerous 1-2 punch with QB Tate Whatley and WR/S Tanner Molony.  Very exciting game to watch on a Monday night. Thanks to everybody involved for streaming it!

Without further adu, here's my Class 3A top 5

1) Chaminade-Madonna Prep ; Still the most loaded team in 3A and now well rested.
2) Oxbridge Academy; big game coming up against Uschool in a week.
3) Melbourne Central Catholic; Schedule doesn't get easier games at TC and Fort Hill coming up.
4) Clearwater Central Catholic:  Better than last years 9 win team and more balanced offensively.
5) Lakeland Christian: Fun to watch, well coached, big win vs Berkeley.

Chaminade remains at #1, Oxbridge at #2. Neither team has played a game recently. I really wanted to have CCC and MCC tied for 3, but then I saw MCC picked up Tampa Catholic this week and the two Central Catholic's will finally have a common opponent. LCS cracks the top 5. Ft. White  would be #6 if I did went further. 

Here are the games I'm interested in seeing the results for:

American Heritage Plantation at Chaminade-Madonna

Before the season I felt this game would be a battle between two of best teams not in Florida, but the nation. I actually made the case that Chaminade should be a top 50 team in America; however, that may of been a tad to grandiose- especially after the Lions were destroyed against Miami Central.

Still, few people have success going to Traz Powell and beating Central. The Lions get another nationally ranked program but this time at home. The Lions can win back some fans with a strong performance in this one, but American Heritage is probably a few pegs higher on the pole than the Lions right now.

Melbourne Central Catholic at Tampa Catholic

This game was added last Sunday and it's a doozy. Both teams have high expectations. I haven't seen MCC, but I did see Tampa Catholic vs CCC in person. Tampa Catholic, to me, is an enigma. From a pure athletic standpoint, the only team in all of 3A that should out-athlete them in Chaminade, yet the only remarkable thing about their season thus far is how unremarkable they've performed.

That  could change this week as a supremely talented MCC team comes to town. MCC has only played 2 games this year, a loss at Buford Georgia and a solid win over Palm Beach Central. Tampa Catholic does have a history of knocking off state ranked teams at home. A win vs MCC would quickly turn the Crusaders season around. 

Orlando First Academy at Calvary Christian (Clearwater)

A battle of undefeated Class 3A teams lost in the shuffle of the more well-known 3A team, the Royals and Warriors should have a good contest on Friday. Calvary Christian is lead by a host of CCC transfers Amari Burney and Deandre Ferguson alongside Ethan White and a solid set of skill players.  First Academy has long had success in in Florida football with head coach Leroy Kinard and his powerful Wing-T attack. This year is no different as the Royals are off to a quick 3-0 start.  The game will be played in Clearwater.

Clearwater Central Catholic vs St. Petersburg Northeast

This game is the Spectrum Sports Tampa Co-Game of the Week with East Lake and Lakeland, meaning it will be televised/streamed.  The Vikings of Northeast are 1-1 and are a mid-level Pinellas County football team with a strong athletic history that could end up winning 5 games this year and competing for a playoff spot in 6A. They have a capable QB/RB combination and some very solid coaching. It's probably unrealistic to expect Northeast to win this game, but it is realistic for them to make it competitive- especially if CCC is rusty.

Nolebull813,

Great analysis! I'm really excited for Chaminade/AHP.  Neither team has played a game in quite a while- I'm showing AHP and Chaminade haven't played since 9/1.  I could of swore I saw the game was televised on ESPN somewhere, but I could be wrong. Because of their accomplishments and talent, AHP has to be the favorite- but I agree, if Chaminade used the downtime to fix a few things and work on chemistry, they'll compete in this one for 3 quarters- ultimately, AHP's supieor depth will make sure they come away with the W, but Chaminade would benefit greatly from a good showing in this one.

You bring up a great, great point about Tampa Catholic. I saw a stat on facebook by an indepent sportswriter that against their two biggest rivals Tampa Jesuit and CCC, they're 0-17 against Jesuit since 2000 and 6-15 against CCC since 1999 or 2000. Going 6-32 against your biggest rivals over an almost 20 year span isn't getting it done. So, I agree with the assessment that in big games, Tampa Catholic tends to come up short. Of course, the counter argument would be- TC has also been to 2 state championship games and has multiple final 4 appearances despite a poor record against their rivals- still, MCC has to considered the favorite.

I think First Academy is the favorite, but by a minor amount- maybe 3 points. Calvary hasn't played a competitive schedule, although I can see AFA finishing 6-3, so that will end up being a good win for them. First Academy runs the Wing-T. Now, I don't know a lot about X's and O's, but I know when I hear the phrase Wing-T, coaches tend to panic since it's hard to simulate in practice and unless you prepare for it, even lesser talented teams can creep up and win.

I think CCC is going to be on cruise control for the next 2 weeks, then they travel to Rockledge which I'm told is a top 5 team in Brevard County. That will be an amazing game against 2 very good programs. This week? I think Northeast can compete for a bit, but CCC just has way to many 6'1 /6'2 210lbs running backs on the roster and the QB is a star in the making IMHO.

Jessica

Since you are continuing to aptly define Class 3A on a regular basis, thought I'd jump in and add a little bit to your analysis in case anyone is interested.

I do believe that the defining game, for the Trinity Catholic Celtics, is this coming Friday when undefeated 4A Dunnellon rolls into Celtic stadium. So far this season the Celtics have been a big disappointment with so much promise at the beginning of the season. For some odd reason our offense is just not getting the job done. This is the same problem we have had over the last two years even though we now have a darn good QB in King Redd and a large experienced OL. Our WR's and RB's, although not D-1 material, are still all capable. We also now have an OC who previously had championship teams in another state. We have so far played two undefeated teams, 5A Belleview and 4A Lake Highland Prep, both of which are pretty good teams but not world beaters. In the past the Celtics would have handled both without too much difficulty.

Once again we will be going up against a good undefeated team in Dunnellon. We have never played them so don't know really what to expect. I mention this as our defining game because if we don't win this one I don't think we have a chance to get into the playoffs. If we do win it, and look good doing it, I think there is a possibility that we could run the table and go into the playoffs with an 8-2 record. This team is a solid one with all around good players and coaching. My thought is that, if it all comes together this Friday, then the team will have a definitive goal to work for.

Proseteye,

Thanks for the information! I've been keeping my eye on OTC (No pun intended) and think that despite starting 0-2, the teams OTC lost to  may finish 8-2 themselves giving OTC a few quality losses. I think there's a few wins coming up on your schedule with Santa Fe and Providence being down- in addition, this doesn't appear to be the best South Sumter has fielded and Jordan Christian Prep is probably a win. Your analysis on their team themselves is appreciated as I haven't seen OTC in person or via stream this year. I'm showing OTC is also playing IMG White and North Marion. I know IMG White isn't very good yet, which leaves North Marion, 0-3 but they've played some good teams.  In that regard, I would view this week as a huge game against an undefeated team.

As for the playoffs- OTC would benefit greatly from Tampa Catholic/Berkeley Prep continuing to struggle and it wouldn't hurt if Cardinal Mooney and Calvary stubbed their toe a time or two.