8a Miami Columbus 22 vs Miami High 28 (FINAL)

ExplorerHomer

6:49 left in 4th

Columbus 22

Miami High 28

Columbus in control for most of the half. Two QB scrambles for TD by Arguelles, two missed field goals by normally reliable Maza. One successful 2pt conversion. Columbus D looking impressive, only allowed one large gain by electric Miami High back Jonny Ford (50yds or so). Miami High had some self inflicted wounds though penalties. But aside from the missed FGs, Columbus seems to be firing on all cylinders. Arguelles looked gimpy in final series, hoping it just the cramps that come with a 1:00pm game.

random observation: for such a talented team, I can't believe MH has no one better than Ford to kick punts. He had about three so far that may have totaled 50 yards combined. 

3rd quarter, Miami High offense showed some signs of life. Drive still marred by penalties, but MH receivers getting the job done running  5-wide set. Columbus needs to adjust against that. Columbus ball to start Q4 at midfield. QB Arguelles seems to be alright.

10:00 Columbus throws INT, returned inside Columbus territory. Miami High STILL running 5-wide even on the Columbus 1yd line.  Can't blame em, it's working against the Explorer D. MH scores and converts 2-pts. We've got a game!

And like that, Jonny Ford with a great catch. MH QB finding success with the long ball. 2-pat conversion fails but Miami High has all th  momentum. Only 6:00 left. 

Again, Miami High showing grit, and the Columbus secondary getting ripped apart. Wide open receiver gets the long ball and walks it in for 28 unanswered points. Miami High now leads by 6 with 3:00 remaining. Columbus driving now with a big catch by Tyler Harrel. Explorers need to air it out. Too conservative on offense this quarter.

Columbus driving with some help from a couple MH penalties. Henry parish took a shot and now out of the game for the Explorers. Columbus at MH  8 yard line with 1:10 left. Kalani Norris with his first major catch. Norris now injured too and limps off field. If Columbus pulls this out, they will need to make some major changes in secondary and need to heal quickly.

columbus QB scrambles to the 1 with 50 seconds on the clock and fumbles. MH sits on it, I have no idea how they avoided the safety on the final three plays. That said, Columbus lost this game at the hands of their much touted D, and some conservative offensive play calling in the 3rd quarter. But credit to Miami High, they overcame some penalties and a sleep-walking 1st half to kill Columbus who could not defend the big play on the 5-wide set. Kudos to the MH coaches for making that crucial adjustment.

Crazy finish to that game....One thing in sports that is hard to handicap or predict is turnovers...Tough way for Columbus to fall.  I believe it was only second down but the QB wanted that extra foot to paydirt and it unfortunately cost them the game.  That and of course the adjustments Miami High made in the second half that started dicing up that Columbus secondary.  I believe that QB returns for Columbus and will carry that memory next year with a chip on his shoulder.  Another great season for Columbus and BOL to Miami High next week facing the winner of Atlantic/Western.  

2 hours ago, Viperx said:

How do you blow a 22-0 lead in the 3rd Qtr. That's a major choke job. 

As much as I believe Miami High's offense is lightning in a bottle, I can't remember the last time Columbus blew a game like this or or even close to this .  I am not overly surprised Miami High got the W but I am surprised how it went down...

36 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

As much as I believe Miami High's offense is lightning in a bottle, I can't remember the last time Columbus blew a game like this or or even close to this .  I am not overly surprised Miami High got the W but I am surprised how it went down...

You don't blow leads like those. Great teams put their foot on the neck till they're done. 

53 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Crazy finish to that game....One thing in sports that is hard to handicap or predict is turnovers...Tough way for Columbus to fall.  I believe it was only second down but the QB wanted that extra foot to paydirt and it unfortunately cost them the game.  That and of course the adjustments Miami High made in the second half that started dicing up that Columbus secondary.  I believe that QB returns for Columbus and will carry that memory next year with a chip on his shoulder.  Another great season for Columbus and BOL to Miami High next week facing the winner of Atlantic/Western.  

Unfortunately, the QB Arguelles is a senior. But Columbus returns most of their playmakers and has a decent dual threat. upcoming QB. They'll be in the mix next year. But this was a tough loss to take. I expected a close one, but to lose with that lead is gut wrenching. 

But I can't lay the loss at the feet of that kid. Our kicker missed two relatively easy FGs, and the defense got eaten alive in the second half. Congrats to Miami High for not quitting.