To the Jags for first playoff appearance in 10 years

Last time jags were in the playoffs:

Brett farve was still a packer 

Peyton Manning was 1 year removed from his first Super Bowl with Colts 

Tom Brady was still undefeated in super bowls

Joe Gibbs was in his last year of coaching 

Alabama had 4 less championships 

Suwannee was coming off their last win over Columbia in football 

Celebrate jag fans, you deserve to enjoy this playoff drought ending, good luck in playoffs 

So how much credit goes to that old hard a$$ Tom Coughlin who now oversees football operations in Jax. ?  He made the Jags a good team when they first entered the league many years ago. He also took the Giants to a couple SuperBowl Championships with the lesser of the two Manning brothers. I don't know, but I wouldn't underestimate his contributions in how the current team is now performing on the field. The guy knows football. He's not a players coach so his act can go south after a few years. Anybody got facts to shoot down an opinion ?  Thanks in advance....

7 hours ago, Dan in Daytona said:

So how much credit goes to that old hard a$$ Tom Coughlin who now oversees football operations in Jax. ?  He made the Jags a good team when they first entered the league many years ago. He also took the Giants to a couple SuperBowl Championships with the lesser of the two Manning brothers. I don't know, but I wouldn't underestimate his contributions in how the current team is now performing on the field. The guy knows football. He's not a players coach so his act can go south after a few years. Anybody got facts to shoot down an opinion ?  Thanks in advance....

I hope they learned their lession from last time keep him around as long as possible 

And defense has really been good, smart drafting last few years has resulted in a competitive jags team 

My only fact that is the last few years that the Jags have had an injury bug hit them pretty bad and I am not sure how many of the people starring this year were not on the team last year. The three biggest additions were DL Calais Campbell, S Barry Couch, and RB Leonard Fournette. The first two came because Jacksonville has one of the lowest salary cap numbers every year so they had money to spend. Coughlin would definitely be the person who wanted LF, but I struggle to believe the Jaguars would have drafted anyone else at that position other than DeShaun Watson (if they were choosing to end the Bortles Era).

The problem the Jaguars have had the past 2 years is that the offense would sputter early, the defense would play well enough, but as the offense continued to do nothing the defense would eventually give up big points from being tired. The games that the offense provided a little help early were often the games the Jaguars would win or at least look decent in. 

As for Coughlin, I respect the man and coach, but think the grumpy old man ways only work if you continue to evolve. Greg Popovich is a grumpy old man, but he has continually evolved (from his Twin Towers offense to his constant motion offense). Phil Jackson is a grumpy old man, but didn't (tried to force the triangle offense down a team's throat). Nick Saban is grumpy old man, but look at his offenses (ground and pound under center to Jalen Hurts shotgunning the offense). Tom Coughlin is a grumpy old man, who in his last stop at NY did not evolve with the players. He played the same stingy old man. Maybe, his role as a football consultant is a better place for him as it keeps him out of the media and direct path of the players, but still gets to make an imprint on the club.