Interesting facts

DisabledAccount

Here's something i noticed from digging yesterday 

Prior to 2000 softball only made the playoffs at Columbia ONCE in the program history 

Baseball only made playoffs prior to 2000 a total of 5 times (that 5 times spanned from 1920s to late 90s)

Since then 

Softball has made playoffs 13 times 

Baseball has made playoffs 10 times 

So both sports have only started to make headwaves in past 18 years 

In that same stretch football has made playoffs 15 times

In that same stretch basketball only made playoffs 7 times

Both are reasonable observations but not the specific observation I'm looking for 

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Here's something i noticed from digging yesterday 

Prior to 2000 softball only made the playoffs at Columbia ONCE in the program history 

Baseball only made playoffs prior to 2000 a total of 5 times (that 5 times spanned from 1920s to late 90s)

Since then 

Softball has made playoffs 13 times 

Baseball has made playoffs 10 times 

So both sports have only started to make headwaves in past 18 years 

In that same stretch football has made playoffs 15 times

In that same stretch basketball only made playoffs 7 times

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Now lets look at playoff record  in that stretch 

Baseball (6-10)

Softball (15-12)

Basketball (2-7)

Football (17-15)

Anything jump out to anyone with these numbers? 

Tell me what you see with the bolded stats specifically 

Also keep in mind that football has already played in playoffs this year but softball season just starting

Also as you mentioned softball only one to win state since 2000

Since 2012-2013 school year (the year softball won state)

Football  2 regional finals appearances, 0 state appearances, 0 championships

Softball  3 regional finals appearances, 1 state appearance, 1 championship 

31 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Both are reasonable observations but not the specific observation I'm looking for 

Tell me what you see with the bolded stats specifically 

Also keep in mind that football has already played in playoffs this year but softball season just starting

Also as you mentioned softball only one to win state since 2000

Since 2012-2013 school year (the year softball won state)

Football  2 regional finals appearances, 0 state appearances, 0 championships

Softball  3 regional finals appearances, 1 state appearance, 1 championship 

With records such as these, it is safe to say that for the majority of years,  each of the teams got knocked off in the first round or second round of the playoffs.  

Baseball (6-10)

Softball (15-12)

Basketball (2-7)

Football (17-15)

Just now, OldSchoolLion said:

With records such as these, it is safe to say that for the majority of years,  each of the teams got knocked off in the first round or second round of the playoffs.  

Baseball (6-10)

Softball (15-12)

Basketball (2-7)

Football (17-15)

Also a correct observation but there is something else I want you all to see with the statistics 

Since 2000 football has missed the playoffs only 3 times

But look at how close softball is in the playoff win column 

Just now, badbird said:

both teams only have 2 more wins than playoff appearances

Very true 

Your on the cusp of it

Let's say softball make final 4 this year (they were 1 game short of final 4 last year) which is very possible considering how much they return

That would add at least 3 wins to their total

That would put them with 18 wins (at minimum) in playoffs Since 2000 in 14 appearances 

Football would have 17 wins in 15 appearances

Add that in with more regional finals appearances since 2013 and a state championship 

Couldn't the argument be made at that point that since 2000 that softball has been the more successful sport at Columbia than football (they might already be simply because of the state championship)

Look, we can sit behind our computers and philosophize all day, Columbiafan.  Let's just put the two teams together on the football field and settle this the old fashioned way.  I predict the boys will win, but will be forced to forfeit when a replay confirms inappropriate touching, which means the girls win which means the softball team is the best!

I know what you are up to young man.  You want to be the one to tell the girls you have cracked the code and scientifically proven that they are the  bestestst and far better than those stupid boys on the football team, upon which they will declare you the smartest man in Lake City.B)   You sly dog, you:D 

Of course, this entire exercise was unnecessary for those of us older married gentlemen, who were convinced long ago by our wives that women are superior in every aspect to men:rolleyes:.

4 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Look, we can sit behind our computers and philosophize all day, Columbiafan.  Let's just put the two teams together on the football field and settle this the old fashioned way.  I predict the boys will win, but will be forced to forfeit when a replay confirms inappropriate touching, which means the girls win which means the softball team is the best!

I know what you are up to young man.  You want to be the one to tell the girls you have cracked the code and scientifically proven that they are the  bestestst and far better than those stupid boys on the football team, upon which they will declare you the smartest man in Lake City.B)   You sly dog, you:D 

Of course, this entire exercise was unnecessary for those of us older married gentlemen, who were convinced long ago by our wives that women are superior in every aspect to men:rolleyes:.

Funny but not exactly what i was intending to show

However I brought this up because it's interesting that football is given the majority of the resources by the school yet statistically softball has been more successful without having a huge abundance of resources 

So with football getting the support it does how are they barely keeping up with softball who resources aren't close to what football receive 

Is it the regions for football tougher than softball??

Well the last team in 7a region 1 of football to win state was Lincoln in 2010 or 2011

Last team to win state from 7a region 1 softball was Gainesville in 2016 and they in our district 

So probably a no there 

Softball lost to Niceville in playoffs last season 7-3 (i think, not exactly certain) who was ranked in top 50 in nation (so probably like a Miami Central to compare ranking wise) 

2016 football lost to Lee in a running clock (probably similar to Creekside type of team in softball, who Columbia beat by like 3 or 4 runs in first playoff game)

I get Columbia football isn't at the level of some of these south Florida elites but they shouldn't need to be at that level to beat the teams we lose to in playoffs 

Don't need to be elite to beat bartram trail, Navarre, St Augustine, Viera, Lee and Lincoln 

We shouldn't have lost any of those games, yet i see the players still on twitter talking about how they gonna show everyone this year is their year 

Where the hell was that confidence when we were playing Lee or Lincoln this year, all i hear is empty talk

I remember my senior year out there all i saw was players thinking they were big dogs coming off a year we went to final 4 and I wasn't surprised with the results in playoffs, talented team but they let success go to their head and blew a opportunity with a talented team that was good enough to make state had they been hungry like the previous year

Problem was they were never hungry

I hope this next year team takes the same approach that 2015 took after being embarrassed by losing to St Augustine in the playoffs the previous season, if they don't it will be the same result unfortunately 

Just now, gatorman-uf said:

Doesn't this topic belong in the Off-Topic section as the Original Post had nothing to do with football... Just sayin' I posted about the Dual State Championships in Wrestling and it got moved, this seems way more off than that.

Well i didnt move it so I can't say

And i am comparing other sports to football so technically it is on topic

Idk why your post got moved and considering football news is slow at this time i don't understand why any sports related topic should be moved anyway 

I get moving topics during the season but in off season I don't understand why topics should be moved, we need to keep traffic up and most don't even look at off topic section 

42 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Funny but not exactly what i was intending to show

However I brought this up because it's interesting that football is given the majority of the resources by the school yet statistically softball has been more successful without having a huge abundance of resources 

So with football getting the support it does how are they barely keeping up with softball who resources aren't close to what football receive 

Is it the regions for football tougher than softball??

Well the last team in 7a region 1 of football to win state was Lincoln in 2010 or 2011

Last team to win state from 7a region 1 softball was Gainesville in 2016 and they in our district 

So probably a no there 

Softball lost to Niceville in playoffs last season 7-3 (i think, not exactly certain) who was ranked in top 50 in nation (so probably like a Miami Central to compare ranking wise) 

2016 football lost to Lee in a running clock (probably similar to Creekside type of team in softball, who Columbia beat by like 3 or 4 runs in first playoff game)

I get Columbia football isn't at the level of some of these south Florida elites but they shouldn't need to be at that level to beat the teams we lose to in playoffs 

Don't need to be elite to beat bartram trail, Navarre, St Augustine, Viera, Lee and Lincoln 

We shouldn't have lost any of those games, yet i see the players still on twitter talking about how they gonna show everyone this year is their year 

Where the hell was that confidence when we were playing Lee or Lincoln this year, all i hear is empty talk

I remember my senior year out there all i saw was players thinking they were big dogs coming off a year we went to final 4 and I wasn't surprised with the results in playoffs, talented team but they let success go to their head and blew a opportunity with a talented team that was good enough to make state had they been hungry like the previous year

Problem was they were never hungry

I hope this next year team takes the same approach that 2015 took after being embarrassed by losing to St Augustine in the playoffs the previous season, if they don't it will be the same result unfortunately 

North FL as a whole is struggling in football.  Just guessing, but maybe the loss of sense of community in some areas is causing teams to lose their edge....that vicious, small town, not in my house attitude. 

There was a time when the Panhandle teams were absolutely feared by the south FL teams.  There were state title games in the Panhandle 40 years ago and the kids would be saying, "Oh no, we're going up there to play those crazy rednecks."  

Georgia is the opposite of Florida in that the southern part of the state is more rural.  That attitude I am talking about still exists there in some of those small towns, and they hold their own against the "big city boys."  Maybe ya'll should take a run up 75 to Lowndes County.  Those boys know how to win.  

10 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

North FL as a whole is struggling in football.  Just guessing, but maybe the loss of sense of community in some areas is causing teams to lose their edge....that vicious, small town, not in my house attitude. 

There was a time when the Panhandle teams were absolutely feared by the south FL teams.  There were state title games in the Panhandle 40 years ago and the kids would be saying, "Oh no, we're going up there to play those crazy rednecks."  

Georgia is the opposite of Florida in that the southern part of the state is more rural.  That attitude I am talking about still exists there in some of those small towns, and they hold their own against the "big city boys."  Maybe ya'll should take a run up 75 to Lowndes County.  Those boys know how to win.  

That is true 

South Florida is dominant in football but spring sports are probably having stronger teams (panhandle to Jacksonville and in between have the bulk of the elite teams)

The demographics seem to be stronger in the spring in north end of state while football stronger in south Florida 

3 minutes ago, badbird said:

Columbia softball > Columbia football

Football cost way more and makes way more than softball so football is always going to get more resources than softball.  So not sure what else you want softball to get as far as resources goes.

Oh ik that

I just find it interesting that 2 sports on complete opposite of the spectrum of resources are so tight in success

One big difference i noticed behind the scenes of the 2 sports are the attitude of the fans

A lot of fans out at football are nothing more than glory hogs who would accept a losing season as long as their kid gets playing time (yes ik it's not all of them but there are a bunch that fit that description)

Those same people are the ones talking down about the program behind everyone's back while pretending to support the team when around coaches,  a lot of them boosters out there are me first attitude, i hear them in the stands critizing the team throughout the game instead of cheering the team

Difference is the fans i encountered at softball were always jumping for opportunity to volunteer their time for the program, they aren't faking support only to trash the team behind their back

Heck the fans at softball are more into the game than the football fans are which goes back to fact that a lot of football fans will spend entire game talking in stands about what they doing wrong instead of cheering the team on

5 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Heck the fans at softball are more into the game than the football fans are which goes back to fact that a lot of football fans will spend entire game talking in stands about what they doing wrong instead of cheering the team on

Because 90% of the people at softball games are parents, brothers, sisters, and some friends... Football is a community sport, thus the whole community shows up. They can be there to watch football, they can be there to socialize, they can be there to support their friends and loved ones. Needless to say they are there. How dare you question how people spend their hard earned dollars.... 

8 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Because 90% of the people at softball games are parents, brothers, sisters, and some friends... Football is a community sport, thus the whole community shows up. They can be there to watch football, they can be there to socialize, they can be there to support their friends and loved ones. Needless to say they are there. How dare you question how people spend their hard earned dollars.... 

Yeah the 50% at best capacity filled stadium is the whole community

And i will question it when a good majority do nothing but critize the team the entire time, all they do is complain about playcalling and why their kid isn't playing and you call that support?  I call it ego

It's a shame the fan support at football has become so tainted,  I'm guessing they will never be the hardcore fans they were in the 90s