Interesting facts

DisabledAccount

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Yeah the 50% at best capacity filled stadium is the whole community

And i will question it when a good majority do nothing but critize the team the entire time, all they do is complain about playcalling and why their kid isn't playing and you call that support?  I call it ego

It's a shame the fan support at football has become so tainted,  I'm guessing they will never be the hardcore fans they were in the 90s

Columbia has one of the largest stadiums in the state, 50% is still better than almost every other school by a long shot including the 8A schools. You have been to Gene Cox Stadium, tell me once you have seen it filled by Lincoln fans. You have been Citizen's Field, tell me once when it has ever been as packed as the CHS Stadium. Don't shit on a program and community because you had a falling out with whoever.

1 minute ago, gatorman-uf said:

Columbia has one of the largest stadiums in the state, 50% is still better than almost every other school by a long shot including the 8A schools. You have been to Gene Cox Stadium, tell me once you have seen it filled by Lincoln fans. You have been Citizen's Field, tell me once when it has ever been as packed as the CHS Stadium. Don't shit on a program and community because you had a falling out with whoever.

Large cities for most part never get the fan support of rural areas, problem is the energy isn't there

You went to the state finals when Columbia played in Gainesville right?  I'm sure you saw a lot of hardcore fans in that game. I encourage you to come to a columbia game now and see the difference in how into the game they are then vs now

And I have had a beef with our "fans" since they quit on us in the 3rd quarter with viera

I have never left a game because we were losing and as a result i can't respect people walking out on your team

Especially when several leaving were parents of kids who were still playing their hearts on the field

7 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

And i did go to Gene Cox this year 

We had more fans travel then they had as home team

(they really need to stop having county fair on same day as playoff game, it kills their attendance)

I have trouble figuring out who's side is which over at citizens field so I'm never sure which side is Gainesville and which is ours and even harder when both teams wear purple 

1 hour ago, gatorman-uf said:

Because 90% of the people at softball games are parents, brothers, sisters, and some friends... Football is a community sport, thus the whole community shows up. They can be there to watch football, they can be there to socialize, they can be there to support their friends and loved ones. Needless to say they are there. How dare you question how people spend their hard earned dollars.... 

That is a very good point.  There have always been a large number of fans in the stands of hs football games who are interested in things beyond the game.  With all that is going on in the world and as stressed as people are nowadays,  some folks just want to get out of the house and have an inexpensive diversion without the "high intensity" experience of being a hardcore fan.  And being critical of the home team is just as much of a sport for some people as the game itself.  People have different agendas for being a fan.  It's not always the same as mine.  

2 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

That is a very good point.  There have always been a large number of fans in the stands of hs football games who are interested in things beyond the game.  With all that is going on in the world and as stressed as people are nowadays,  some folks just want to get out of the house and have an inexpensive diversion without the "high intensity" experience of being a hardcore fan.  And being critical of the home team is just as much of a sport for some people as the game itself.  People have different agendas for being a fan.  It's not always the same as mine.  

Yeah ik life is stressful (not going in details on how stressful)

I just can't understand why people would pay ticket price just to complain about the team, they do that enough at supermarket or barber shop 

Whenever i go to games if it's at 7pm I'm probably showing up anywhere from 1-3pm so I'm basically using up entire day for games so if I'm going out there I'm going to have a good time,  see friends and watch us win but for me i do the middle one before the game starts

But that's just me,  maybe not everyone does things my way

Same here, Columbia. I am usually the first one in the stands at Celtic field. When we were a winning team it was standing room only in our stadium. Not so winning, plenty of seating room. I will agree that Citizen's field in Gainesville is one huge stadium. Must have been built back in the 1940's as it's totally concrete. It's also a nice field to play on. 

citizens-field.jpg

21 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Yeah ik life is stressful (not going in details on how stressful)

I just can't understand why people would pay ticket price just to complain about the team, they do that enough at supermarket or barber shop 

Whenever i go to games if it's at 7pm I'm probably showing up anywhere from 1-3pm so I'm basically using up entire day for games so if I'm going out there I'm going to have a good time,  see friends and watch us win but for me i do the middle one before the game starts

But that's just me,  maybe not everyone does things my way

Sport mirrors life.

Believe it or not, ColumbiaFan, malls used to be packed with kids...not anymore.  ...just too many things to distract us today.  There used to be nothing better to do on a Friday night than going to the hs game and actually watching it.  Now we have lots more options.

Lots of folks seem to make a living off complaining on social media, so not sure why we would expect any different at a hs game.  

More and more we insist upon instant gratification, and football is no different.  Fans don't want to wait 5 years for a coach to build a program.  It's now or else.  As much drama as we have now in some of the pro sports and movies, would imagine hs football is downright boring for some kids to watch.   

3 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

More and more we insist upon instant gratification, and football is no different.  Fans don't want to wait 5 years for a coach to build a program.  It's now or else.  As much drama as we have now in some of the pro sports and movies, would imagine hs football is downright boring for some kids to watch.    

How many times can I agree with this statement... Programs are not built in a day, but we live in AAU and travel ball lifestyle, where if you don't like a coach or if there is another team that "needs" you, you go... Few parents/coaches/players try to build something. We see this in the pros with the creation of "Super Teams" (thanks Lebron (Miami years) and Kevin Durant (Golden State). 

We see this with the one and doners at Kentucky and now Duke (I can't stress how disappointed I am in Coach K for following this route). It is one of the reasons, I liked Billy Donovan at UF, few of his guys were one and done, and his best teams were guys with some experience. Obviously, Horford, Brewer, Noah, Green team of the two national championships (06/07) and the Patric Young led team when he was a senior. His most underachieving teams were when the guys were one and done.

In age of social media, twitter, facebook, snapchat, and whatever the newest app is, teens can spend their entire lives inside the four walls of their house and always have something to talk about or to show or be important. Football requires them to be spectators of some one else, why be that when they can be the star of their own 15 second long video. 

If I am at a non-premiere school, I want every kid to go onto the newest Madden and play in Career/Dynasty Mode for 6 season or go back to the EA College Football 2014 and do the same. The only rule is that they cannot pick their favorite team or the team with their favorite player. What team do they pick? Do they pick an FAU or FIU or the Cleveland Browns to try to turn them into winners? Do they choose the Bama/Clemson/Georgia/FSU or Patriots/Packers/Steelers because they are good already? I think it would tell a lot about a kid.

1 hour ago, gatorman-uf said:

How many times can I agree with this statement... Programs are not built in a day, but we live in AAU and travel ball lifestyle, where if you don't like a coach or if there is another team that "needs" you, you go... Few parents/coaches/players try to build something. We see this in the pros with the creation of "Super Teams" (thanks Lebron (Miami years) and Kevin Durant (Golden State). 

We see this with the one and doners at Kentucky and now Duke (I can't stress how disappointed I am in Coach K for following this route). It is one of the reasons, I liked Billy Donovan at UF, few of his guys were one and done, and his best teams were guys with some experience. Obviously, Horford, Brewer, Noah, Green team of the two national championships (06/07) and the Patric Young led team when he was a senior. His most underachieving teams were when the guys were one and done.

In age of social media, twitter, facebook, snapchat, and whatever the newest app is, teens can spend their entire lives inside the four walls of their house and always have something to talk about or to show or be important. Football requires them to be spectators of some one else, why be that when they can be the star of their own 15 second long video. 

If I am at a non-premiere school, I want every kid to go onto the newest Madden and play in Career/Dynasty Mode for 6 season or go back to the EA College Football 2014 and do the same. The only rule is that they cannot pick their favorite team or the team with their favorite player. What team do they pick? Do they pick an FAU or FIU or the Cleveland Browns to try to turn them into winners? Do they choose the Bama/Clemson/Georgia/FSU or Patriots/Packers/Steelers because they are good already? I think it would tell a lot about a kid.

I've taken both routes on those games 

Heck it got to the point i would intentionally lose just so i wouldn't go undefeated for like 6 years straight lol (which i have before)