About Dillard’s New Head Coach

Wassup football family I have a question about Dillard new football coach ... what is his resume ?? Is he highly respected is he like a ice Harris or like Miami central head coach ? Someone who actually can get highly touted transfers ?? Is he someone who knows his X’s and O’s and will have his team prepared week after week win lose or draw ??

will he be bringing in his own staff or god forbid keeping the same staff from last year ??

and last but not least will you guys rate this a awesome hire for my panthers ????

Looked at his linkedin page.  Has master's degree and management experience in the business world.  Was team captain.   Would bet he has some good leadership skills.  

Really liked what he said on the radio show.  Dillard and Ely had a strong tradition and there was a strong tie to the community...lot of pride.  In the late 1980's, both programs were very strong and would battle each other in the playoffs. 

They were playing together in the same class with Aquinas back then.  I don't remember there being a problem with kids leaving those programs.  Aquinas was not that attractive to some of the kids who grew up as Dillard and Ely fans.  After all, Dillard was winning state titles BEFORE Aquinas.  It's interesting that as Aquinas emerged, Dillard and Ely started to decline.  ...hmmmm

Tapping into that tradition and community pride is key.  My sense is that some of the sense of community has eroded.      

6 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Looked at his linkedin page.  Has master's degree and management experience in the business world.  Was team captain.   Would bet he has some good leadership skills.  

Really liked what he said on the radio show.  Dillard and Ely had a strong tradition and there was a strong tie to the community...lot of pride.  In the late 1980's, both programs were very strong and would battle each other in the playoffs. 

They were playing together in the same class with Aquinas back then.  I don't remember there being a problem with kids leaving those programs.  Aquinas was not that attractive to some of the kids who grew up as Dillard and Ely fans.  After all, Dillard was winning state titles BEFORE Aquinas.  It's interesting that as Aquinas emerged, Dillard and Ely started to decline.  ...hmmmm

Tapping into that tradition and community pride is key.  My sense is that some of the sense of community has eroded.      

I totally agree with everything you said especially about back in the 80s I listened to the radio interview as well and I must say very impressed but we all know that saying one thing and actually producing it on the field wen the lights come on is two different things. 

Im excited to see what does his experience bring to the table I see he was like a offensive guru in the college ranks so hopefully he can bring that to Dillard’s offense because the last few years it has been putrid at best our defense wasn’t great but it was solid to where even a consistent above avg offense would have made us atleast a competitive second round team. Is his name big in the college ranks where we can now get a boat load of transfers like central northwestern btw chaminade Deerfield and etc ?? Idk guess we’re gonna find out.

2 hours ago, "PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE) said:

I totally agree with everything you said especially about back in the 80s I listened to the radio interview as well and I must say very impressed but we all know that saying one thing and actually producing it on the field wen the lights come on is two different things. 

Im excited to see what does his experience bring to the table I see he was like a offensive guru in the college ranks so hopefully he can bring that to Dillard’s offense because the last few years it has been putrid at best our defense wasn’t great but it was solid to where even a consistent above avg offense would have made us atleast a competitive second round team. Is his name big in the college ranks where we can now get a boat load of transfers like central northwestern btw chaminade Deerfield and etc ?? Idk guess we’re gonna find out.

Otis Gray seemed to do just fine with "local" talent back in the day.  Like Otis, this fellow is a player's coach coming to Dillard to "give back" to the school and community.  That will prove key...as long as they give the man time.

For folks out there who do not know Otis Gray, please take a minute to read about this great man.  

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2007-08-24/sports/0708240076_1_mr-dillard-otis-mounds-alma-mater

Otis was there 13 seasons.  The first half of that, Dillard did not do too much.  But the last half Dillard was an absolute powerhouse...built without the benefit of tons of transfers like today.  It took years to build the program.  People forget, it's not just the immediate talent.  A coach needs to build deep ties to the community to attract talent, and that takes years.

Otis had a "mission."  I think there was some "us against them" mentality(kinda like the U),  being a historically black school at a time when Broward was much "whiter" than today. St Thomas was perceived as a very White, preppy school 30+ years ago.  Maybe it was easier to sway kids to come to Dillard rather than "play with those snooty Private kids."   

Excited for Dillard!

2 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Otis Gray seemed to do just fine with "local" talent back in the day.  Like Otis, this fellow is a player's coach coming to Dillard to "give back" to the school and community.  That will prove key...as long as they give the man time.

For folks out there who do not know Otis Gray, please take a minute to read about this great man.  

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2007-08-24/sports/0708240076_1_mr-dillard-otis-mounds-alma-mater

Otis was there 13 seasons.  The first half of that, Dillard did not do too much.  But the last half Dillard was an absolute powerhouse...built without the benefit of tons of transfers like today.  It took years to build the program.  People forget, it's not just the immediate talent.  A coach needs to build deep ties to the community to attract talent, and that takes years.

Otis had a "mission."  I think there was some "us against them" mentality(kinda like the U),  being a historically black school at a time when Broward was much "whiter" than today. St Thomas was perceived as a very White, preppy school 30+ years ago.  Maybe it was easier to sway kids to come to Dillard rather than "play with those snooty Private kids."   

Excited for Dillard!

Couldn’t have said it better myself and I’m a alum & former player ..Dillard may not have done much lately but their roots is known as a POWER HOUSE! back in the day st Thomas had to go threw us not the other way around and they were still the private school they are now just not as known back then. All in all with the right coach and dedication I truly believe Dillard can get back to that feard program they once was. 

And a Stat that I find funny as I think about it Dillard still lead all PUBLIC schools in Broward with two state championships no other PUBLIC school in BROWARD COUNTY has more or Tied. So even through all our down years and etc every other public been just as down as us sure teams like Deerfield Miramar and etc get the transfers and talent but other then Miramar in 09 no one has brung home the trophy accept Flanagan and look how quick they fell back in the dumpster fire 

22 minutes ago, "PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE) said:

Couldn’t have said it better myself and I’m a alum & former player ..Dillard may not have done much lately but their roots is known as a POWER HOUSE! back in the day st Thomas had to go threw us not the other way around and they were still the private school they are now just not as known back then. All in all with the right coach and dedication I truly believe Dillard can get back to that feard program they once was. 

And a Stat that I find funny as I think about it Dillard still lead all PUBLIC schools in Broward with two state championships no other PUBLIC school in BROWARD COUNTY has more or Tied. So even through all our down years and etc every other public been just as down as us sure teams like Deerfield Miramar and etc get the transfers and talent but other then Miramar in 09 no one has brung home the trophy accept Flanagan and look how quick they fell back in the dumpster fire 

...all a school administrator, AD or fan needs to do is look at the history at local or state-wide levels.  You cannot build a sustainable program with a revolving door of coaches.  Unless a coach is inheriting a winning program from a long-term, successful coach, he is going to need a good 5 years to build a consistent, winning program.   

Look at Deran Wiley at Raines.  Raines grad, played at Louisville, returns to Raines and inherits a losing team.  He put in 9 good years there to win that title this past season.  THAT is what Dillard needs...consistency.  Give the man some time, be patient, treat him right so he stays, and let him work his magic. 

Broward schools that have won a state title(s)...all have had a coach who came there and stayed 5+ years building the program.

AHP(Walker), Chaminade(Guandolo), Dillard(Gray), Hollywood Hills(Saltrick), Ely(Davis), Flanagan(Simon), Miramar(Cogdell), STA(Smith), University School(Harriott)

Broward schools with lots of talent that that have fallen short...substantial coaching turnover in the past 20 years

Boyd Anderson and Deerfield Beach 

3 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

...all a school administrator, AD or fan needs to do is look at the history at local or state-wide levels.  You cannot build a sustainable program with a revolving door of coaches.  Unless a coach is inheriting a winning program from a long-term, successful coach, he is going to need a good 5 years to build a consistent, winning program.   

Look at Deran Wiley at Raines.  Raines grad, played at Louisville, returns to Raines and inherits a losing team.  He put in 9 good years there to win that title this past season.  THAT is what Dillard needs...consistency.  Give the man some time, be patient, treat him right so he stays, and let him work his magic. 

Broward schools that have won a state title(s)...all have had a coach who came there and stayed 5+ years building the program.

AHP(Walker), Chaminade(Guandolo), Dillard(Gray), Hollywood Hills(Saltrick), Ely(Davis), Flanagan(Simon), Miramar(Cogdell), STA(Smith), University School(Harriott)

Broward schools with lots of talent that that have fallen short...substantial coaching turnover in the past 20 years

Boyd Anderson and Deerfield Beach 

Exactly! But u kno how it go in today’s world especially at these black schools they want u to win and win now and if u don’t they run u from out of there! They want results right away not realizing that some schools luck up with coaches that are able to recruit heavy right off bat and jus like that they are state title contenders but it’s not like that with everyone 

3 minutes ago, "PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE) said:

Exactly! But u kno how it go in today’s world especially at these black schools they want u to win and win now and if u don’t they run u from out of there! They want results right away not realizing that some schools luck up with coaches that are able to recruit heavy right off bat and jus like that they are state title contenders but it’s not like that with everyone 

Hear ya...not just black schools:D

I think of how NCAA schools who had mediocre programs 20+ years ago, like Louisville and West Virginia, started coming down to FL and focusing on recruiting the 2 and 3 star athletes who weren't getting play from the big NCAA powers.  Next thing you know those schools are surpassing some of the old time NCAA power schools.  The elite schools were getting a bad rep for recruiting a kid and then going cold on him when someone better came along....basically playing the kids.  

I could see the same thing happening in hs football.  If the elite high schools start burning kids by bringing in transfers who displace them, kids will start looking elsewhere, especially those who are not ultra-talented.  I would focus on those B+ players who could not start at St Thomas or American Heritage but have upside potential.  They will bust down walls for you for giving them a chance and are often easier to coach than some of the 5-star prima donnas.

37 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Hear ya...not just black schools:D

I think of how NCAA schools who had mediocre programs 20+ years ago, like Louisville and West Virginia, started coming down to FL and focusing on recruiting the 2 and 3 star athletes who weren't getting play from the big NCAA powers.  Next thing you know those schools are surpassing some of the old time NCAA power schools.  The elite schools were getting a bad rep for recruiting a kid and then going cold on him when someone better came along....basically playing the kids.  

I could see the same thing happening in hs football.  If the elite high schools start burning kids by bringing in transfers who displace them, kids will start looking elsewhere, especially those who are not ultra-talented.  I would focus on those B+ players who could not start at St Thomas or American Heritage but have upside potential.  They will bust down walls for you for giving them a chance and are often easier to coach than some of the 5-star prima donnas.

I agree just excited to see what he bring to this program I’m gonna try to plan my visit back to Florida around their spring game date so i can check them out. Do you know will he bring in his own staff in ?

16 minutes ago, "PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE) said:

I agree just excited to see what he bring to this program I’m gonna try to plan my visit back to Florida around their spring game date so i can check them out. Do you know will he bring in his own staff in ?

Well I'm sure that will come out soon but my guess is he will speak with current coaches at some point then decide who to retain or let go 

You staying in Georgia temporary or permenant? 

1 minute ago, "PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE) said:

dont know

where u livin in Atlanta?  Used to live up that way.  Great football there.  You need to go see...

http://www.corkykell.com/

It's the big kickoff event for the season.  Would be great if FL had something like it. 

9 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Well I'm sure that will come out soon but my guess is he will speak with current coaches at some point then decide who to retain or let go 

You staying in Georgia temporary or permenant? 

Idk right now permanently...south Florida was jus getting to be to much I had put grew it would I love to be coaching at Dillard one day heck ya from 2007-2017 I never missed a game not one I have walked caught rides caught buses stood in the rain and cold and guess what I’ll do it all again.

2 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

dont know

where u livin in Atlanta?  Used to live up that way.  Great football there.  You need to go see...

http://www.corkykell.com/

It's the big kickoff event for the season.  Would be great if FL had something like it. 

Awesome ya I most def have to check that out it’s a few schools up here I want to check out like Buford Greyson south west dekalb mlk Stephenson etc

4 minutes ago, "PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE) said:

Idk right now permanently...south Florida was jus getting to be to much I had put grew it would I love to be coaching at Dillard one day heck ya from 2007-2017 I never missed a game not one I have walked caught rides caught buses stood in the rain and cold and guess what I’ll do it all again.

Respect brah

I hope Dillard can win that championship and you get to see it when they do

Also you should come to Lake City sometime

After all i still owe you a dinner for my bet i lost and I'll even throw in a game day experience to go along with that dinner 

12 minutes ago, "PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE) said:

Awesome ya I most def have to check that out it’s a few schools up here I want to check out like Buford Greyson south west dekalb mlk Stephenson etc

Check out Tucker.  They in same class as Stephenson.

U gonna love football in Atlanta.  The teams there are more evenly matched than in south FL.    

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Check out Tucker.  They in same class as Stephenson.

U gonna love football in Atlanta.  The teams there are more evenly matched than in south FL.    

Will do looks like I got to find a school to support up here weekly and root for ..any suggestions? Lol it’s gonna fee extremely weird tho I can c myself now at one the games up here constantly checking the score for Dillard lmao smh 

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Respect brah

I hope Dillard can win that championship and you get to see it when they do

Also you should come to Lake City sometime

After all i still owe you a dinner for my bet i lost and I'll even throw in a game day experience to go along with that dinner 

Awesome i look forward to that! Frfr

2 minutes ago, "PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE) said:

Will do looks like I got to find a school to support up here weekly and root for ..any suggestions? Lol it’s gonna fee extremely weird tho I can c myself now at one the games up here constantly checking the score for Dillard lmao smh 

Don't rush it

I would advise check out different teams each week and see how it goes until you find the right one

Plus while you in GA a game you may want to check out when they play is colquitt County vs lowndes 

That game will be packed and would be worth the drive 

4 minutes ago, "PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE) said:

Awesome i look forward to that! Frfr

Just give a heads up when you think you will be free to pop in Lake City and I can give you some local experience of what is still technically a small town but while it's large to me it probably won't be large since your used to a very heavy populated broward County 

These are what I consider the current best teams in the Atlanta area.  All of them are on the north side of town.  The only public, "city" school is Tucker.  They are the only 6A school on the list below.  Tucker has a very high black population.  I think it is gonna feel most like Dillard amongst the schools on this list.  In the playoffs, they run up against some very good teams from the southern part of the state.  They have a strong basketball program, too.  

Archer-NE side of town in the suburbs

Blessed Trinity-North side of town, small private school

Brookwood-NE side of town in the suburbs

Buford-NE side of town in the suburbs

Grayson-NE side of town in the suburbs

Marist-Private school, north side of town inside the 285 loop

McEachern-NW side of town in the suburbs

Mill Creek-NE side of town in the suburbs

Milton-North side of town in the suburbs

North Gwinnett-NE side of town, in the suburbs

Tucker-NE side of town near Stone Mountain, just outside the 285 loop, predominantly Black school

Walton-North side of town in the suburbs, near Marietta

2 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

These are what I consider the current best teams in the Atlanta area.  All of them are on the north side of town.  The only public, "city" school is Tucker.  They are the only 6A school on the list below.  Tucker has a very high black population.  I think it is gonna feel most like Dillard amongst the schools on this list.  In the playoffs, they run up against some very good teams from the southern part of the state.  They have a strong basketball program, too.  

Archer-NE side of town in the suburbs

Blessed Trinity-North side of town, small private school

Brookwood-NE side of town in the suburbs

Buford-NE side of town in the suburbs

Grayson-NE side of town in the suburbs

Marist-Private school, north side of town inside the 285 loop

McEachern-NW side of town in the suburbs

Mill Creek-NE side of town in the suburbs

Milton-North side of town in the suburbs

North Gwinnett-NE side of town, in the suburbs

Tucker-NE side of town near Stone Mountain, just outside the 285 loop, predominantly Black school

Walton-North side of town in the suburbs, near Marietta

Awesome I’m actually in Stone Mountain 

18 minutes ago, "PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE) said:

Awesome I’m actually in Stone Mountain 

Oh man, you gonna have fun!  Tucker and Stephenson are in your back yard...both black schools.  They are a little smaller than Dillard.  Stephenson has a very good program..consistent winners...just not on the same level as Tucker and those on the list.  SW Dekalb is pretty close to you.  Their program is just fair.  Definitely a step down from Stephenson and a huge step down from Tucker.

Archer, Brookwood, and Grayson are all a straight shot east of Stone Mountain on 78. Those are probably 3 of the top 10 programs in all of Georgia.   You need to catch some of their games!

You mentioned MLK, which is an inner city program.  They used to be realy good, but that program has fallen off a cliff the past few years.

The Warner Robins area about 1.5 hours south of Atlanta has some good teams(Warner Robins, Northside, Houston County), as does the Valdosta area.  I told ColumbiaFan he needs to take a run up 75 and learn how to win state titles from those boyz.:D