Large Georgia Schools Moving to Artificial Turf

OldSchoolLion

While I like artificial turf as a whole and a 1.0 million per school seems a reasonable amount of money in general (not in Florida where a million could give teachers anywhere between a $55 raise to more than $2500, depending on the size of a school district). I always question the math that they do to prove it is worth it.

The end argument is something like well, you can hold more events at the field and that reduces the cost overall in comparison to grass fields. While some community fields should go to turf, I have serious doubts about the individual schools needing them. For example, Cox Stadium in Tallahassee and Citizen's Field in Gainesville would both be places that to me would make sense to covert to artificial field turf, but the an average team's stadium where maybe 5 varsity football, 4 JV football, maybe 20-30 boys/girls soccer matches total and maybe lacrosse. I think the fields hold up remarkably well. 

24 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

While I like artificial turf as a whole and a 1.0 million per school seems a reasonable amount of money in general (not in Florida where a million could give teachers anywhere between a $55 raise to more than $2500, depending on the size of a school district). I always question the math that they do to prove it is worth it.

The end argument is something like well, you can hold more events at the field and that reduces the cost overall in comparison to grass fields. While some community fields should go to turf, I have serious doubts about the individual schools needing them. For example, Cox Stadium in Tallahassee and Citizen's Field in Gainesville would both be places that to me would make sense to covert to artificial field turf, but the an average team's stadium where maybe 5 varsity football, 4 JV football, maybe 20-30 boys/girls soccer matches total and maybe lacrosse. I think the fields hold up remarkably well. 

There is some interesting information in the article below.  Considering the amount of money involved, it is wise to do one's homework.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2014/09/28/how-taxpayers-get-fooled-on-the-cost-of-an-artificial-turf-field/

1 hour ago, gatorman-uf said:

I've only been to one field that i can clearly remember turf (Bolles) but i agree that certain fields probably need it but question becomes who wants to pay that investment