IMG Getting Even More Scary

Proseteye

23 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Not that we would not want things today to be better than in years past, but the "expectations" today are mindblowing.  When I think of public schools and even "rich" private schools from 30+ years ago...it is like a different universe.  Kids today would look at some of the weight rooms and say "Are you kidding me? "   ...tiny sweatboxes.   

There are older folks on tight budgets who grew up very poor who get a bad taste in their mouth when they see something like this below and at the same time hear about how our teachers are underpaid and students are failing.      

Image result for ponte vedra high school weight room

Have to take issue with you a little. When I was in school from 1945 to 1959 teachers received very little pay. They stayed with the same school until retirement. The students stayed with the same elementary, middle, and high school until graduation. Practically all students did well academically and just about all graduated. Excuses, such as teacher pay,  were never made as to why students didn't do better. Students automatically did well. Schools had discipline, teachers kept order, principals backed them up, and parents were really really tough. Failing was not an option. Yes, we all had two parents in the house, a father (male) and a mother (female). Unfortunately, the schools have broken down today with very little discipline, teachers that are not supported by principals, and parents, if there are any in the house, who don't care. Failure it seems IS an option these days. If you paid teachers 2 to 3 times as much very little would change. Until there is some sort of authority placed back in the schools I'm afraid things will only get worse.

11 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

Have to take issue with you a little. When I was in school from 1945 to 1959 teachers received very little pay. They stayed with the same school until retirement. The students stayed with the same elementary, middle, and high school until graduation. Practically all students did well academically and just about all graduated. Excuses, such as teacher pay,  were never made as to why students didn't do better. Students automatically did well. Schools had discipline, teachers kept order, principals backed them up, and parents were really really tough. Failing was not an option. Yes, we all had two parents in the house, a father (male) and a mother (female). Unfortunately, the schools have broken down today with very little discipline, teachers that are not supported by principals, and parents, if there are any in the house, who don't care. Failure it seems IS an option these days. If you paid teachers 2 to 3 times as much very little would change. Until there is some sort of authority placed back in the schools I'm afraid things will only get worse.

...my point about expectations was geared toward the facilities (tennis courts, multiple fields, auditoriums, etc), nothing else.  If they built something like what was in the picture above 40 years ago the taxpayers would have thought they were crazy.  Now it has become "normal."   

11 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

...my point about expectations was geared toward the facilities (tennis courts, multiple fields, auditoriums, etc), nothing else.  If they built something like what was in the picture above 40 years ago the taxpayers would have thought they were crazy.  Now it has become "normal."   

Facilities like those built today were not built when I went to school because the emphasis was on academics. Since we have dropped to 28th in the world in education obviously facilities like these are more important.