Comparing the Freedom Bowl Teams

OldSchoolLion

Since some of ya'll like ranking folks and may not have seen the games, here are my thoughts in case they might be of some use.  If ya'll want to argue amongst yourselves, go knock yourselves out, but I am not that in love with my opinions to want to argue about mine.:)  So take 'em or leave 'em.

American Heritage - The most well-rounded Florida team I saw this weekend.  Strong, big d-line that can shut down the run.  Pass coverage was very good.  No glaring weaknesses on the defense.  I think their offense has potential to be better than they looked against a very tough St Joe defense.  They have some athletes.  I'm not talking a "lights out" offense, but one that can offer a reasonably balanced attack and can score points with the run or the pass.  Showed poise and mental toughness hanging in a very tough, close game.  I had heard they lost a lot and considering that, I was pleasantly surprised.

Wekiva - As good a run defense as you'll see.  Although they gave up a couple big passes, db's look talented.  Offensive line will overpower many teams.  Offense may hold the team back against elite competition if they cannot achieve more balance.  My sense is that they don't quite have the same level of athleticism as AHP on offense, but could be wrong.  QB Sean Robles has the size, but was inaccurate..maybe just a bad day.  If I had to bet on a game between AHP and Wekiva, I would take AHP in a close one.

Cardinal Gibbons-  Difficult to judge because they were missing their defensive leader.  Struggled with both run and pass against a balanced Milton offense.  QB Scalzo is very mobile and will make things happen against many defenses.  Like Chaminade, I think they could not put up enough points to win against Wekiva and think AHP could beat them fairly easily.  Could see a game versus Chaminade being a toss-up.    

Chaminade- Their D line lacks size/physicality to deal with elite level O-lines.  Defensive backfield is full of studs.  On offense, WR John Dunmore is a stud and qb Daelen Menard is mobile and accurate.   Chaminade has a talented receiving corps.  Willie Davis at RB is shifty and has potential to break loose.  They have an offense like last year, built for big plays but not necessarily for long drives.  In a game vs AHP or Wekiva, I think their D line would get worn down and struggle against the run.  Dunmore is going to get lose at least once per game against anyone, but I don't think Chaminade could put up enough points to beat Wekiva and I think versus AHP the point differential would be greater.  Team showed some lack of poise when things were not going their way.  

Mainland - Defense gave up a lot of points.  Run defense is solid but pass defense is a liability.  D'Andre McMillian is fabulous at rb, but can't do it alone on offense.  Mainland would struggle with any of the teams above.    

Sorry, but did not watch the Douglas game.     

...another point, for what it's worth. Our teams from Florida do not consistently blow out (or even beat) better teams from states that some say are inferior and have less speed and overall talent.  So far this season, some of our Florida teams have not exactly lit up OOS competitors.  Deerfield Beach and American Heritage needed last-second scores to win.  And some lost.  As explosive as our athletes are, it is not uncommon for us to put up less than 35 points in a game.  So, either our offenses are lacking a certain explosiveness and/or the gap in talent and execution may not be as great as some believe. 

I believe other states are slowly catching up to Florida in certain aspects of the game.  Some states that did not use to be considered hs football states are now consistently producing high quality talent, ie Utah.  Florida will always have great athletes, but is the hs football game as a whole really improving in Florida?  For instance, are we producing better linemen or qb's than we were 25 years ago?  It is easy to get spoiled and rest on one's laurels when talent abounds.  

7 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

...another point, for what it's worth. Our teams from Florida do not consistently blow out (or even beat) better teams from states that some say are inferior and have less speed and overall talent.  So far this season, some of our Florida teams have not exactly lit up OOS competitors.  Deerfield Beach and American Heritage needed last-second scores to win.  And some lost.  As explosive as our athletes are, it is not uncommon for us to put up less than 35 points in a game.  So, either our offenses are lacking a certain explosiveness and/or the gap in talent and execution may not be as great as some believe. 

I believe other states are slowly catching up to Florida in certain aspects of the game.  Some states that did not use to be considered hs football states are now consistently producing high quality talent, ie Utah.  Florida will always have great athletes, but is the hs football game as a whole really improving in Florida?  For instance, are we producing better linemen or qb's than we were 25 years ago?  It is easy to get spoiled and rest on one's laurels when talent abounds.  

Which states you referring to? 

3 hours ago, 954gator said:

I dunno man Wekiva vs AHP would be interesting that’s for sure.  I take Chaminade over Gibbons (without Bogle).

I would be concerned about Wekiva's O-line against a big, athletic D-line like AHP's.  Some of Wekiva's O-lineman appeared to be holding substantial excess weight to achieve their girth.    

13 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I would be concerned about Wekiva's O-line against a big, athletic D-line like AHP's.  Some of Wekiva's O-lineman appeared to be holding substantial excess weight to achieve their girth.    

Nah Wekiva’s Oline was massive they’d win the line of scrimmage both sides IMO. At the very least they wouldn’t lose it.    They are strong as hell.   Faster than AHP on the Dline too.  

5 hours ago, 954gator said:

Could we see a Wekiva vs DFB game?  Atlantic maybe.    Wish Carol City, Central were in with 8A

Yes, but there are obstacles to that. Apopka is still smarting from last year's loss to Wekiva and intend to extract revenge. This year's game is going to be very interesting. Yes, Wekiva has the D but Apopka's offense is more explosive. And our D will be effective against their offense from a match-up standpoint. In any event, it is more likely than not that Wekiva and Apopka will square off twice in order to get to the state semis and beyond. And in the semis Vero Beach or Osceola loom large. 

And from the South bracket, I think you may be overlooking Columbus which scored a very impressive win against the Northwestern Bulls this week. 

At this early stage of the season, 8A is looking like it may be the most competitive division which may, for the first time in a few seasons, have several elite or near elite teams in it. 

For the record, I am very glad Carol City and Central are not in 8A. The darn division is going to be tough enough to win as it is. What are you wishing for, some kind of super class? If so, we may as well add St. Thomas to the mix, too! :)!!

16 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Yes, but there are obstacles to that. Apopka is still smarting from last year's loss to Wekiva and intend to extract revenge. This year's game is going to be very interesting. Yes, Wekiva has the D but Apopka's offense is more explosive. And our D will be effective against their offense from a match-up standpoint. In any event, it is more likely than not that Wekiva and Apopka will square off twice in order to get to the state semis and beyond. And in the semis Vero Beach or Osceola loom large. 

And from the South bracket, I think you may be overlooking Columbus which scored a very impressive win against the Northwestern Bulls this week. 

At this early stage of the season, 8A is looking like it may be the most competitive division which may, for the first time in a few seasons, have several elite or near elite teams in it. 

For the record, I am very glad Carol City and Central are not in 8A. The darn division is going to be tough enough to win as it is. What are you wishing for, some kind of super class? If so, we may as well add St. Thomas to the mix, too! :)!!

All of them don’t need to be in 6A tho put DP OSCEOLA WINTER PARK IN 6A AND PUT MNW & CC IN 8A And put Mc in 7a

41 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Good points, Darter.  Wekiva's defense is awesome, but like any great defense, they will have issues with certain matchups.  As you know, 8A has some great coaches on teams that are very seasoned for the playoffs, ie Columbus, Apopka.  It should be a war!    

in my opinion from what I seen this past weekend if dfb has to play wekevia dp apopka or COLOMBUS to get to states I would have to roll with any of the other 3 in a close game I believe the other 3 has superior coaching and a over all better team. 

Just my opinion ...I’ve been wrong before tho so we will see.

6 minutes ago, “PANTHER NATION(CODE BLUE) said:

in my opinion from what I seen this past weekend if dfb has to play wekevia dp apopka or COLOMBUS to get to states I would have to roll with any of the other 3 in a close game I believe the other 3 has superior coaching and a over all better team. 

I haven't seen the games, but am wondering about Deerfield's offense.  They only put up 13 points on Chaminade.  Would have thought they could have run all over Chaminade's D-line with their rb Knighton.  And with all of the turnovers Buford had, DB's offense had their hands on the ball a lot, but needed big plays to win versus sustained drives.

4 hours ago, “PANTHER NATION(CODE BLUE) said:

Well when you think about it what worked fir NG was the deep ball.  This is also what DFB used ti get the win for DFB against a super stout Buford team.    One thing DFB does have is speed and a QB with an arm to utilize them deep.   They also have a very stout D that will probably force Wekiva to throw.     Man I love football season!

On 9/2/2018 at 10:45 AM, OldSchoolLion said:

I have seen some posts which lead me to believe that some people are not aware of what is out there beyond the borders of Florida. 

There are some good teams out there

TX got some good teams

GA got some good teams 

CA got some good teams 

States like Hawaii, Maryland/DC, Arizona, Louisiana, Ohio, Alabama, Tennessee, New Jersey, Utah and Mississippi all have some good teams at the top 

Problem with those states i just listed is they just don't have same depth as FL or the teams in top list who i would classify as power states

That don't mean they don't have good teams just not as widespread 

Now I wouldn't call those states inferior 

They got talent just not as much as the top 4

Now a state like Colorado is inferior and having top 10 teams barley beat teams who aren't even top 100 in FL proves nothing