What Are Your Wildcard Team Predictions?

OldSchoolLion

Will this year's 23 benefactors of the new system in Classes 5A-8A do better than the 21 from last year?  How did the latter do?

• 14 lost in the first round of the playoffs (7 of these teams lost by >21 points)
  • 5 lost in the 2nd round of the playoffs
  • 2 lost in the 3rd round of the playoffs (region finals)

How many of the 23 below will make it past the first round?  How many will make it to a region final?  Am just curious what ya'll think? 

8A
West Orange(7-3)
Palm Coast(7-3)
Gateway(5-5)  
Treasure Coast(8-3)
Miramar(6-3)
South Dade(8-2)

7A
Fletcher(7-3)
Gaither(7-3)  
Wiregrass Ranch(7-3)
Palmetto(7-3)
Tampa Bay Tech(7-3)
South Miami(8-2) 

6A
Pace(7-3)
Lake Weir(7-3)  
South Lake(6-4)
Northwestern(5-5)
Norland(4-6)

5A
Bolles(6-4)
Hernando(7-3)  
Desoto County(6-3)  
Jefferson(5-5)
Merritt Island(5-5)
Coconut Creek(6-4)  

3 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Will this year's 23 benefactors of the new system in Classes 5A-8A do better than the 21 from last year?  How did the latter do?

• 14 lost in the first round of the playoffs (7 of these teams lost by >21 points)
  • 5 lost in the 2nd round of the playoffs
  • 2 lost in the 3rd round of the playoffs (region finals)

How many of the 23 below will make it past the first round?  How many will make it to a region final?  Am just curious what ya'll think? 

8A
West Orange(7-3)
Palm Coast(7-3)
Gateway(5-5)  
Treasure Coast(8-3)
Miramar(6-3)
South Dade(8-2)

7A
Fletcher(7-3)
Gaither(7-3)  
Wiregrass Ranch(7-3)
Palmetto(7-3)
Tampa Bay Tech(7-3)
South Miami(8-2) 

6A
Pace(7-3)
Lake Weir(7-3)  
South Lake(6-4)
Northwestern(5-5)
Norland(4-6)

5A
Bolles(6-4)
Hernando(7-3)  
Desoto County(6-3)  
Jefferson(5-5)
Merritt Island(5-5)
Coconut Creek(6-4)  

The teams I have bolded have a shot. I would also add West Orange to the list if they can somehow beat Wekiva a second time. But that is a tall order though I would not put it past coach Head. 

On 11/5/2018 at 1:49 PM, badbird said:

8A I see South Dade winning.  I give Treasure Coast a shot.  I don't think any others win.

7A I got Palmetto.  All the other draw tough first round games.

6A I got Northwestern.  Lake Weir has a good shot.

5A I got Bolles.  Hernando has a shot.

I say 6 this year win first round and 1 gets to regional final. 

Badbird was right on with his predictions.  6 of 23 wildcard teams that were in this year because of the new points system advanced:

8A South Dade

7A Palmetto

6A Lake Weir and Northwestern

5A Bolles and Jefferson

4 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Badbird was right on with his predictions.  6 of 23 wildcard teams that were in this year because of the new points system advanced:

8A South Dade

7A Palmetto

6A Lake Weir and Northwestern

5A Bolles and Jefferson

I missed Jefferson.  On paper looking at record 5-5 vs 10-0 they had no shot but with a closer look they had played some good teams tough. 5 out of 6 not bad

• 2 weeks later...

Of the 23 benefactors of the new point system this year, only one won a region title...Northwestern.  And if Northwestern was in any other district in the state, they likely would have been a district champion or runner-up and made it into the playoffs under the "old" system.  None of last year's wildcard teams that made it in under the new system won a region title.

So, for all the bickering that takes place over which system is best, at the end of the day, it's probably a moot point which bubble teams make the playoffs.  In essence, we're debating which teams will have the honor of getting knocked out in the first two rounds.

2 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Of the 23 benefactors of the new point system this year, only one won a region title...Northwestern.  And if Northwestern was in any other district in the state, they likely would have been a district champion or runner-up and made it into the playoffs under the "old" system.  None of last year's wildcard teams that made it in under the new system won a region title.

So, for all the bickering that takes place over which system is best, at the end of the day, it's probably a moot point which bubble teams make the playoffs.  In essence, we're debating which teams will have the honor of getting knocked out in the first two rounds.

Northwestern might be first wildcard to win state