7A Region 2 Game Previews

OldSchoolLion

4 teams from District 8 made the playoffs.  Sorry, but I find it difficult to get terribly excited about this slate of games.  That's not to say none of them will be competitive.  

7A-R2 

#8Wiregrass Ranch(7-3) @ #1Lakeland(10-0)  Wiregrass has been knocked out of the playoffs by Lakeland the last two years.  The Dreadnaughts won each game easily, including a 52-0 drubbing last year. The Bulls beat one playoff team this year, Gaither.  Plant beat Wiregrass 42-0, and I'm afraid it will be a similar result now with the Dreadnaughts.  Lakeland, one of the most successful teams ever in the playoffs, has not won a regional title since 2011, so you know they are hungry.  And standing in their way is Plant, who has knocked them out the past two years.  Lakeland's defense has held opponents to 7 points or less in 8 of their games.  Their offense is averaging an amazing 49 points per game.  Lakeland is 46-11 in playoff games when playing at home.

#7Sickles(7-3) @ #2Viera(7-3)   These two teams have never met in the playoffs.  Sickles was last in the playoffs in 2015, when they lost to Lakeland in the first round.  They have won 3 playoff games in their history and won games over Wiregrass Ranch and Berkeley Prep this season.  Their offense has averaged only 17 points per game, despite a rather pedestrian schedule.  Viera has been lighting up the scoreboard this year, averaging 37 points per game.  Their 3 losses came against tough competition(Rockledge, Osceola, and Fort Dorchester, SC), and they lost each game by 10 points or less. They have since reeled off 7 straight win,s including wins over Cocoa, Merritt Island and Heritage.  The Hawks made the state final in 2015 and have been a threat ever since.  Plant has knocked them out of the playoffs the last two years.  Sickles will likely have a difficult time slowing down the Hawks. 

#6Gaither(7-3) @ #3Plant(9-1)  These two teams are District 8 foes who have never met in the playoffs.  Plant won the district title and defeated Gaither 44-34 during the regular season.  Plant has dominated this series, winning each of the past 10 meetings in convincing fashion.  The Cowboys beat district foe Sickles and Tampa Bay Tech this year.  Gaither lost to Viera 56-0 in the first round last year and their last playoff win was in 2011, when they made a 7A region final appearance.  Plant is a regular on the playoff scene and has lots of hardware to show for it, including 3 state titles and 2 runner-up since 2008.  Last year they made a state semifinal appearance.  They were only challenged once this year, losing to Armwood.  Weak regular season schedules have not hurt Plant in the past come playoff time, though. Plant has lit up the scoreboard this year, averaging 41 points per game. 

#5Kathleen(5-4) @ #4Harmony(9-1)  These two teams have never met in the playoffs.  Harmony's last playoff appearance was in 2015, when they lost to Viera in the first round.  The Longhorns have won 2 playoff games in their history, both wins coming in 2007.  They have played a weak schedule, and their most impressive win came against Liberty.  They lost to a 6-4 Space Coast team.  Kathleen's last playoff appearance was in 2015, when Plant knocked them out in the first round.  Their last playoff win was in 2013.  The Red Devils got dominated by Lakeland, Vanguard and Sebring this year.  They did manage to beat playoff-bound Lehigh.  The Red Devils are averaging 19 points per game on offense, but have been giving up an average of 23 points.     

*Gaither and Wiregrass Ranch were benefactors of the new points system.

5 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

If we being honest with ourselves this region has 3 teams and everyone else,  the winner of the region will end up being Lakeland, Plant, or Viera 

I don't see anyone else in the region that i feel could win it 

Lakeland should be the big favorite to win this region. They will be Columbia's Semifinal opponent provided the Tigers take care of business. 

10 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Lakeland should be the big favorite to win this region. They will be Columbia's Semifinal opponent provided the Tigers take care of business. 

They are a huge favorite and with them having home field it will be tough

I do think the winner of viera vs Plant can test them and maybe pull a upset but that will probably be their only true test before the final 4 game and if Columbia can do their part they would host Lakeland 

#8Wiregrass Ranch(7-3) @ #1Lakeland(10-0)
This should be running click by halftime

#7Sickles(7-3) @ #2Viera(7-3)
Another running clock game, by 4th quarter

#6Gaither(7-3) @ #3Plant(9-1)
This is a dreaded district rematch. Gaither could give them a run. But I think Plant wears them down in the 2nd half.

#5Kathleen(5-4) @ #4Harmony(9-1)
This one could be a toss-up.....if Kathleen can stay disciplined. Kathleen started out slow, but got better throughout the year (except the 50-0 loss to Lakeland) and I think their defense may be able to hold them in. They are missing a big piece in Brendan Gant though. I'll go out on a big limb and say Kathleen upsets Harmony.

Nice write up OSL. Plant has 4 state titles. 06, 08, 09, 11. Two finals losses to Aquinas. 10 and 16. 

Plant needed a second round home game this year. I'm a Plant alumnus and of course I'm rooting for Plant, but I'm also a realist. This is a "very good" Plant team, but not a "great" Plant team. Their D starts really slow. I expect a Viera win, something like 35-27. Now if Plant's D comes to play from the first whistle, they can win. But against good teams this year, they've started off a little slow. Also, the offense is like a freight train. Once it gets rolling, it's hard to stop. But it too can take a few drives to get moving.

The bonus is that the QB is a junior. He's like a little Tebow out there. Doesn't set the world on fire passing but he can throw the ball. He's such a run threat though, he keeps teams off balance. Couple him with Walter Wilbon (RB, about 215 lbs who runs ultra violently) and they are a very formidable tandem.

Go Plant!