The Lowest Scoring Playoff Game in FHSAA History

OldSchoolLion

On December 3, 1971, it was a chilly night in Cross City, and one of the most epic playoff games in Florida High Football School history was about to be played.  The 10-0 Interlachen Rams were in town to face off with the 8-2 Dixie County Bears.  At a time when football was incredibly rugged and manly, it was appropriate that these two virile teams would be measured by their ability to penetrate. 

You heard it right.  The FHSAA had implemented the “penetration rule” at that time as a means of deciding playoff games ending in a tie.  The teams were knotted together in a 0-0 tie at the end of regulation.  Little did they know that regulation time that exciting evening would only be foreplay. 

The penetration rule required that each team be given the ball at the 50 yard-line with 4 opportunities to penetrate their opponent.  The team that penetrated deepest would be declared the winner.  Both coaches were concerned that their teams, already exhausted from the tempo, would not be able to keep it up during the penetration period.  After all, both offenses had been impotent all night. 

Interlachen let Cross City penetrate first, since penetrating second does have its advantages.  Cross City’s strategy was to make multiple, smaller penetrations.  They gained 36 yards in 4 plays.  But would it be enough? 

Interlachen decided upon a similar technique, but after three attempts to probe the Cross City defense, they had made no progress.  Interlachen had to go for broke.  In one last, desperate attempt, Interlachen made an enormous, powerful thrust, passing the ball for what appeared to be 36 yards.  But, upon measurement, the referees declared Interlachen’s final penetration only made it 35 yards and 11 inches. 

That’s right.  One inch made a difference, guys.  Some doubt it, but here is proof.  Dixie County was awarded 1 point for the deepest penetration.  The Dixie County players were lying in the field in a state of ecstasy.  And the official, final score was Dixie County 1, Interlachen 0.

..in all seriousness, there really was such a rule and this game did take place...and in no way did I intend any innuendo by any of this.:rolleyes: 

What the bloody hell did i just read? 

What is a penetration rule, I've never heard of this crazy OT setup in my life

And here i thought I knew football but suddenly I never realized how crazy the old rules really were

On a serious note I'm curious where you found this because I'm now curious and want to read about this new rule and find out how often that was used 

And what would have happened if both scored the same exact distance,  would they have had to do a second period? 

5 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

What the bloody hell did i just read? 

What is a penetration rule, I've never heard of this crazy OT setup in my life

And here i thought I knew football but suddenly I never realized how crazy the old rules really were

On a serious note I'm curious where you found this because I'm now curious and want to read about this new rule and find out how often that was used 

And what would have happened if both scored the same exact distance,  would they have had to do a second period? 

head coaches would have had to pull down their pants for a measurement.  That's why no women were hired back in the day

ah, the good 'ol days.  There were all kinds of unusual processes back then.  Protests of games were handled through processes known as a Senior Commission Review of Exceptional Wins, also known as SCREW, or Significant Losses Affecting the Playoffs, also known as SLAP.  Coaches could request to be SCREWED or SLAPPED any time they saw fit.:rolleyes:  Some coaches actually came to like it after a while.

After this game, Dixie County beat St Thomas 24-6 in a AA state semifinal held at Lockhart Stadium in Fort Lauderdale.  The Raiders had 9 turnovers, including 7 interceptions.  Dixie County then traveled to Port St Joe for the state final, where they lost 25-6. 

3 hours ago, badbird said:

Even when its not much as long as you give your best effort every time is all that matters

You may not hit the back of the end zone but your good to go as long as you scrape the sidelines