Deerfield Beach Star Killed by Train

OldSchoolLion

One paper reported the incident happened at 4AM.

“He was a little stressed having the weight of the world on his shoulders by going [to a Division I school], and having to leave his two younger brothers and his family in an unstable environment,” Thomas Gowdy said.

It's an all-too-common theme.  The promise of an NFL career...many of these kids need help/support now.  Regardless of the circumstances of his death, this young man was dealing with a rough time in life that some of us can remember.

The media speaks of a scholarship like it is winning the lottery.  It is only the beginning of a very rough journey, and what we don't hear about is how many kids don't make it in college.  It's a good time to remember that each of us can make a huge difference in the lives of young men, if we choose.  God bless this child.  

On 12/31/2019 at 10:33 PM, OldSchoolLion said:

His death has been ruled a suicide.  Apparently his family was homeless and he and his mother were struggling with mental health issues.  He was faced with leaving his mother and two younger brothers to go off to college.  What a decision to make.

I guess suicide is never a totally logical decision, but in this case, it really doesn't make sense.   Faced with leaving his mother and two younger brothers to go off to college for four or five years, he decides to leave them forever by taking his life?  Again, I understand that people who find themselves in a dark place don't think logically and often act on impulse.   In any event, my heart goes out to his family and friends.  And may the young man's soul rest in peace.